Merida One Sixty 1 vs Saracen Ariel 152

Bastardbrain
Bastardbrain Posts: 26
edited July 2014 in MTB buying advice
Right I`m down to 2 bikes and can`t decide for the life of me.
I`m leaning towards the Merida for the Rock Shox Pike RCT3,Sram X0 Shifters, XT Brakes and the Rock Shox Reverb Stealth. But extremely put off by the Uber camp Decals.

The Saracen only has the Zee components, Shimano M615 brakes and Fox Kashmiri CTD Forks. Spoke to 2 people who ride the Saracen and love it but need help!!!!!!!!

Comments

• BloggingFit
    BloggingFit Posts: 919
    I'd go with spec. The decals aren't that bad...
    Bird Aeris : Trek Remedy 9.9 29er : Trek Procaliber 9.8 SL
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    The Fox fork isn't as good as the Pike but it's not bad. Zee components are good kit, X0 is very nice but doesn't last as well.
    Personally I would go for the Saracen. I also know people who have them and love them.
  • felix.london
    felix.london Posts: 4,067
    All those things you mention would make the decision easy for me...Merida! Plus I like the look of it myself but yeah ain't nowt wrong with Zee kit - sort of DH SLX which isn't a bad thing at all.

But you can't ignore the Pike, XT brakes, Reverb & 1x11 if you ask me. Guaranteed within a year you'll be wanting to upgrade to these exact components if you go for the Saracen
    "Why have that extra tooth if you're not using it?" - Brian Lopes

Votec V.SX Enduro 'Alpine Thug' 2012/2013 build

Trek Session 8
  • rockmonkeysc
    I would take 1x11 as a bad point. Very expensive to replace the chain and cassette when they wear out after a few months.
  • felix.london
    I would take 1x11 as a bad point. Very expensive to replace the chain and cassette when they wear out after a few months.

yeah - that's is true and as the OP was originally after a DH bike it makes even less sense really! But I'd still take it as a package with the other bits

Trek Session 8
  • Tough little decision aint it. Both got plus and minus points.
    Heard the Pikes are way better then the FOX now
  • benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    I had a chance to ride 2015 fox 34 forks yesterday for the first time on a friends bike he just got in. My first comment was, and no word of a lie.... 'Are these broken?' Not another vintage year for Fox I fear. I'd buy the Saracen and dump the forks. Get some sweeps or revs for £400 ish or pikes. Also worth looking for a bargain now. Saracens will drop in price heavily in the next few weeks. Scoring a third off will pay for those pikes it badly needs.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • I dont understand why on earth they would put Shimano M615 brakes on a £3000 bike.
  • ej2320
    ej2320 Posts: 1,543
    I dont understand why on earth they would put Shimano M615 brakes on a £3000 bike.

Still better than Avids I've seen on £3000 bikes...
  • ej2320
    ej2320 Posts: 1,543
    Also Zee is very good stuff for the money and the Saracen has good finishing kit with a Kore cockpit and wheelset and a KS lev integra
  • Gibbo3771
    Gibbo3771 Posts: 145
    I dont understand why on earth they would put Shimano M615 brakes on a £3000 bike.

Would expect saints for that price, I just got my M615's for £34 a pop. Not a bad brake mind you.
  • rockmonkeysc
    Saints are a bit overkill for a bike like this. Even my Zee brakes are extremely powerful with an extremely sharp initial bite. I would prefer XT's on an enduro bike, they're just more user friendly.
  • benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    You'd be better off waiting for the sales or buying the frame only option over a 152 having looked at it. You could buy a frame and build a mint bike for less than the £3200 for the complete bike!
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • felix.london
    it's an insurance job so he's got seriously limited choice...these two being the 'best' options

Trek Session 8