Canyon Ultimate CF SL SL v Focus Izalco Team 4.0

mrb123
mrb123 Posts: 4,792
edited July 2014 in Road buying advice
I am looking to upgrade my current steed to one of these. Any information or advice to assist my choice would be greatly appreciated.

As I see it, the Canyon looks to have better wheels and is a little lighter. The Focus on the other hand is available at my local bike shop so can be test ridden, unlike the Canyon.

Comments

• jonny_trousers
    jonny_trousers Posts: 3,588
    Try the Focus, if you love it, go for it. If you don't, consider the Canyon.
  • supermurph09
    supermurph09 Posts: 2,471
    I have the SL 9.0 and I've been really pleased with it. Excellent service from Canyon, mine also came a month before schedule. The 6800 is a dream in terms of shifting, bike is nice and stiff and great for climbing.
  • matt-h
    matt-h Posts: 847
    I have the Cayo and would love the Izalco.
    Focus seem quite popular at our club with about 6 riders using the Izalco. They all rate them.

Focus are very good at honouring their warranty as well. They replaced my frame when called upon

Matt
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,792
    Thanks for the feedback.

Supermurph - How have you found the handling of the Canyon? A few of the reviews I've seen describe it as being quite quick/racy/twitchy. Has that been your impression?
  • supermurph09
    No complaints from me, I'd say something that is described as quick and racy is a plus point!
  • I have a Canyon Ultimate CF SL 9.0 SL and it really is a super bike. I have had Specilized Tarmac and Trek Madone 5.2 but I must say that the Canyon is my favorite. It also comes equipped with gods wheels etc.
  • ai_1
    ai_1 Posts: 3,060
    I've got a Canyon CF SL 9.0 and it's a lovely bike to ride. Very light, comfortable and precise. I wouldn't describe it as twitchy.
    Definitely more comfy than the Cayo Evo 4.0 I hired in Tenerife but much of that is probably the 25mm tyres. Haven't tried an Izalco.
    I suspect the Canyon will be better value but there may be some uncertainty around delivery lead time.
    Personally I think test rides are largely a waste of time unless you have the bike for long rides over a couple of days and that'll only happen if you hire one. In my experience test rides reflect how you're feeling on the day and how the bike's been set up for you. I don't think it gives you an objective judgement of the bike itself.
    If I was you I'd see which bike has geometry closest to your ideal (haven't checked but I think the Focus has slightly more aggressive geometry.) Then I'd look at spec, price, delivery and decide which you prefer the look of
  • Starsboy
    Starsboy Posts: 66
    I have the Izalco (pro 3) and a Canyon cf slx, slightly different Canyon I know but I ride the slx every chance I get!
  • It also comes equipped with gods wheels etc.

Jesus wept
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • Miles253
    Miles253 Posts: 535
    Starsboy wrote:
    I have the Izalco (pro 3) and a Canyon cf slx, slightly different Canyon I know but I ride the slx every chance I get!

How do they vary?
    Canyon Roadlite AL-Shamal Wheels-Centaur/Veloce Group
    Canyon Ult CF SL- Spin Koppenberg-Ultegra group
  • Starsboy
    Miles253 wrote:
    Starsboy wrote:

How do they vary?
    Good question :roll: the Canyon feels stiffer and more direct/sure footed, maybe my perception but it feels more comfortable ( might just be the geometry) although I have rode both bikes with same wheels/tyres.
  • Miles253
    do you happen to use the VLS 2.0? seatpost?
  • supermurph09
    Miles253 wrote:
    do you happen to use the VLS 2.0? seatpost?

I do, not sure how much better it is over original item but I have no comfort issues, with that and 25mm tyres it feels great.
  • Miles253
    Yeah, i can see that the combination of the post and the tyres likely make for a more comfy ride than the Izalco. Geometry is a touch less racey too i think
  • Starsboy
    Just to make things interesting I have the original VCLS seat post on both bikes, on the Izalco I have ksyrium Elites with conti 25mm 4000 and on the Canyon SLR's with the Mavic tyre system. Evens out the ride quality a bit but I think with 25mm on both bikes the Canyon would come out on top of the comfort table. This by the way is only my own personnel observation.
  • ai_1
    ai_1 Posts: 3,060
    I rode my CF SL with the VCLS 2.0 originally. Extremely comfortable but I had issues with it slipping. Canyon say it can be problematic if you're much over 80kg. I'm 86kg.
    Switched to a basic seatpost from my old bime while I waited for them to send me a standard VCLS post. I was surprised how comfortable it was with a normal post. Probably largely due to the 25mm Yksion tyres which are definitely a good comfortable and fast tyre. Then I swapped in the standard VCLS post and I think the difference is noticable. It's less floaty than the 2.0 but still great for minor bumps and rough surfaces. A really nice ride and I think the VCLS 2.0 is unnecessary.
    The CF SL is comfy with any seatpost and 25mm tyres at appropriate pressure. The VCLS posts are not essential but they are both effective at providing extra comfort. The standard post is the best choice if you weigh more than 80kg and I'd probably err on the safe side and say 75kg.
  • Miles253
    I'm around 75 kg so hopefully it shouldn't be to much of a problem
  • I had a Focus Izalco Pro 3.0 and now the Canyon CF SL 8.0. The Canyon in my opinion is the better bike. More responsive, easier to handle and comfier. Seems to climb better and looks great.

The Focus wasn't a bad bike, I also think I had a size too big which didn't help matters. With Canyon you take the risk of customer service issues and lead time but mine came early so I can't fault them.