Pedals - switching from Look Deltas ?

andyrr
andyrr Posts: 1,822
edited July 2014 in Road buying advice
Due to my awesome power (or maybe just equipment age/mileage) I suffered a broken axle on one of my Look Delta pedals about 3 miles from home a couple of days ago.
Right PITA trying to pedal the remainder of the journey 1-legged - especially as I had to creep up a couple of pretty decent hills, near came to a standstill !
As the Delta pedals have been out of production for quite some time I've stockpiled a few along the way and still have 3 or 4 pedals left but is now the time to switch to a more current system ?
I've had Looks for ever so would look (pun not intended) to move across their range to Keos but is the newest blades/blade 2 system significantly better than the original Keo design ?
Keos are available right now at a really good price so I could even try them out to see if I like them : are all cleats compatible with across the Keo range ?

I've no idea how long a pair of Deltas last me from new (I've bought a good few pairs s/h) but probably in the region of 3-5 years of commuting-type regular use so maybe 20,000 miles so in my experience they last well but I've a few pairs of shoes so could conceivably keep 1 pair for the good bike/Keos with other pairs to be used with the commuter/Deltas.

Comments

• giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    I've stuck with the Deltas (never let me down) and wouldn't go over to Keos, I did buy and pair and nowhere near as good imo. You can still get them and the cleats fine. Very good dealer in Spain on ebay too. NOS pedals.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    I'm still on Deltas too ! Was looking at the Keo Blade pedals but the reviews were awful. Crap connection and the pedals hang wrong.

If it ain't broke...
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    I have more delta pedals than I can count and I still use them but I do have a couple of pairs of new campagnolo record pedals. you what they all feel like pedals to me. so stick with the delta unless you want to spend money.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • Dippydog2
    Dippydog2 Posts: 291
    Loads for sale on ebay.
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 9,043
    I prefer the Keos to the Deltas - I think the connection is more secure for longer - I used to find the Deltas felt loose as the cleats wear whereas the Keos don't. I haven't used the blades.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    I've never had a single problem with the Deltas, the cleat (red in my case) always feels secure and positive, love them and I don't care if they look dated, they're only pedals after all.
  • andyrr
    andyrr Posts: 1,822
    Thanks for everyone's replies - I am actually pretty surprised that the Delta models are still held in pretty high regard. I was thinking that the Keos would
    have been enough of an evolution that they would have recent advantages over what must be a 25 year old design - seems not !
    Going to keep mine - I've never had an issue with them and it was more a case of seeing Ribble doing them for <£30 bringing on a thought of now being a good time to switch.
  • top_bhoy
    top_bhoy Posts: 1,424
    I changed over to Keo from Deltas a few years ago simply because I got another bike and after checking out wiggle et al, decided the Deltas had been withdrawn. Having to stick to the one system for the shoes to fit both bikes, since fitting the Keos, I find little difference between them and the Delta system. If you don't need to change then don't; spend the cash elsewhere.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    andyrr wrote:
    Thanks for everyone's replies - I am actually pretty surprised that the Delta models are still held in pretty high regard. I was thinking that the Keos would
    have been enough of an evolution that they would have recent advantages over what must be a 25 year old design - seems not !
    Going to keep mine - I've never had an issue with them and it was more a case of seeing Ribble doing them for <£30 bringing on a thought of now being a good time to switch.

Hinault won the tour on Deltas in 1985 - so 29 years !