add 11T cog to SRAM 1070 12-25 cassette

tatnai
tatnai Posts: 4
edited July 2014 in Workshop
Hi all,

I have a ridley x-fire 2012 1014a that I ride on the road when it's not cyclocross season, just swapping out the tires/tubes.

I've been quite hampered by the compact gear ratios and lack of harder gears when riding on the road, as it has a 36-46 at the front, and sram 1070 12-25 at the back. I've looked at changing the large chainring up to a 51 or 53 vs changing the rear cassette to include a 11t, and have decided on the rear cassette (probably faster to change with less re-adjusting, as I wouldn't have to change the height of my front derailleur and re-adjust it every time, even though I could get a better ratio with a 53 ring at the front; I want ease of swapping it back and forth).

my question: instead of buying a whole new cassette to swap back and forth (I was thinking an 11-26 sram 1070, that might still be quite rideable for cross), can I buy just an 11T cog, and swap it in and pull out my 16T cog? my current cassette still has life in it (only one chain change, about 4000 miles on it). this question really has two parts:
1. is there an 11T cog on the market that I can buy that is compatible with my sram 1070 cassette? I've done some looking, and am overall confused as to whether this is something I can buy.
2. will there be any problem just removing my 16T cog from the middle and popping in the 11T cog at the end?
3. for kicks, do you have a better (easier to change quickly or cheaper or both) solution to my problem? yes, I know, I just need to buy a road bike, but that's not an option for another year or two. :cry:

Comments

• imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    The 11 would need to be a direct swap with the 12 - you could not lose the 16 and just move the others up. I switch between a 42 outer (for cross) and a 46 for road work. I just leave the FD in the same position all the time without issue. 46 is plenty for most things other than road racing, in my opinion.
  • tatnai
    Thanks for the reply Imposter.

I've racked up too many group rides where, with the wind at our back, we get going above 30mph, and I get dropped from the lead group simply because I can't keep up the cadence required at 46-12. Though I don't race on the road, the group I ride with has a couple active racers and a bunch of retired ones, so they move. It just plain sucks when you hear the gears clicking around you and you have no gears left, and getting dropped just becomes inevitable. It's getting old.
  • markhewitt1978
    markhewitt1978 Posts: 7,614
    You can get 10 speed cassettes e.g. Tiagra, for about £15, just get one of those?
  • tatnai
    hmm, i'll have to check them out. I don't want to go down in quality or up in weight from what I currently have though, and I suspect that a tiagra cassette would be a step down. It's a thought though; thanks for the reply.

no problems with tossing a shimano cassette in with my sram drivetrain?
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    There won't be any noticable difference in performance between a Tiagra cassette and any other IMO - they are all designed to do the same thing. The principal difference is price.

46 might be an issue for higher road speeds in a group.