New bike, old wheels problem

norsefox
norsefox Posts: 3
edited July 2014 in Road buying advice
Hi everyone,

Hoping for some friendly advice (I'm a total amateur at this sort of thing).

I currently own a 2007/2008 Orbea Dauphine which has been neglected for far too long.

After a year of riding, in 2008 I bought some Fulcrum Zero Wheels for it - Shimano 10-speed - all in all, they've probably done less than 500 miles.

I'm now looking at upgrading as I get back into cycling - but times have changed and it seems 11-speed is the present/future.

What do I do? If I buy a Ribble-built bike for example, I'm limited to Shimano 105 if I want to use my Fulcrum wheels. But if I want an Ultegra groupset, then I have to choose 11-speed, with concerns about compatibility.

With how much these wheels cost me, I want to continue using them - is there any way to use these 10-speed wheels on an 11-speed groupset? The Fulcrum website says that their Shimano hubs are 9/10/11 speed compatible, but I'd highly doubt that includes 2008 model wheels. Is it possible to get a new freewheel mech rather than a whole new hub?

Comments

• Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    If your current freewheel isn't compatible then you can fit a replacement that is - cost in the region of £60
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,310
    If you have done 500 miles... can you not keep your bike/wheels?

You might be tempted to think in 6 years technology has moved on, but really, that's not the case... your bike/wheels is just as good as a 2014 one
    left the forum March 2023
  • norsefox
    norsefox Posts: 3
    It's a fairly heavy frame - just looking at what could be considered to make the next step up.

How big is the difference between Shimano 105 and Ultegra? Is the cost worth considering for someone who doesn't race? (the odd triathlon aside)
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,310
    norsefox wrote:
    It's a fairly heavy frame - just looking at what could be considered to make the next step up.

How big is the difference between Shimano 105 and Ultegra? Is the cost worth considering for someone who doesn't race? (the odd triathlon aside)

Again... it's an alloy + carbon frame... probably 1.8 Kg for the frame + fork (I had an Allez Comp, similar thing). The lightest carbon options will be around 1.4 Kg... the difference seems a lot, but it's nothing.
    Do what you want with your money, but given the mileage, you can justify it to yourself just as a caprice/reward for having been a good boy, but in terms of your cycling needs/experience it's a monumental waste of money.

If you really have to, check with your Fulcrum retailer if they can fit an 11 speed freehub for you. Alternatively, you can fit a Campagnolo free hub and this will take Campagnolo 11 speed cassettes, which are compatible with Shimano 11 drivetrains (although the shop will say the opposite)
    left the forum March 2023