!974 Tour - Disaster at Plymouth

NervexProf
NervexProf Posts: 4,202
edited July 2014 in Pro race
Common sense in an uncommon degree is what the world calls wisdom

Comments

• dish_dash
    dish_dash Posts: 5,643
    Good piece on this in the latest Cycling Anthology - Volume 4...
  • TMR
    TMR Posts: 3,986
    Sounds about right. We couldn't organise a visit to a Brewery. Touch wood this time will be better!
  • ridgerider
    ridgerider Posts: 2,852
    Would have made an interesting Etape de Tour sportive...
    Half man, Half bike
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,163
    TMR wrote:
    Sounds about right. We couldn't organise a visit to a Brewery. Touch wood this time will be better!

I can't understand why this cliche persists. The Olympics were superbly organised as other large events in this country have been for at least the last 20 years. I didn't see the last London visit by the Tour but Portsmouth seemed fine from memory. The public and media often talk down the country's ability to host large events to the extent that I wonder if it plays a part in us struggling to attract them.
  • dish_dash
    dish_dash Posts: 5,643
    Pross wrote:
    TMR wrote:

I can't understand why this cliche persists. The Olympics were superbly organised as other large events in this country have been for at least the last 20 years. I didn't see the last London visit by the Tour but Portsmouth seemed fine from memory. The public and media often talk down the country's ability to host large events to the extent that I wonder if it plays a part in us struggling to attract them.

Quite right, aside from some customs officiousness Plymouth's organisation seems to have been fine. The issue really was that it was a deathly dull course...

This country actually does big event organisation very very well.
  • bartimaeus
    bartimaeus Posts: 1,812
    The 1994 Tour de France stage 5 Portsmouth-Portsmouth was an excellent and well organised stage... the start/finish was on the common and all the riders came out to mix with the public before the race. I remember bumping into both Chris Boardman and Miguel Indurain. Watched the start, watched the race on the TV, and then went back to the seafront for the finish. Marvellous!
    Vitus Sentier VR+ (2018) GT Grade AL 105 (2016)
    Giant Anthem X4 (2010) GT Avalanche 1.0 (2010)
    Kingley Vale and QECP Trail Collective - QECP Trail Building