Rapha interview in Times for the wealthier MAMIL

curium
curium Posts: 815
edited July 2014 in Pro race
Sub required - http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/life/fash ... 136932.ece
Although the bikes cut a dash, the kit very much didn’t — until the launch of Rapha ten years ago. The British clothing firm’s elegantly restrained merino-mix jerseys were a radical departure from the garish, synthetic horrors clotting our bike lanes and at last offered the classier, wealthier “Mamils” (middle-aged men in Lycra) an appropriate weekend wardrobe. If you have a smart bike and want to look good on it, there’s still only one show in town. Paul Smith rides in Rapha. So, I’ve been told, does Brad Pitt.

Owner is from Rotherham so is excited about the tour being in Yorkshire

Comments

• I'm surprised at that - I seem to remember him knocking all things cycling and British in Ned Boultings book.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,661
    Quite enjoyed this one and no sub required - http://www.esquire.co.uk/culture/sport/ ... and-style/
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • disgruntledgoat
    disgruntledgoat Posts: 8,957
    Does all this cobblers not make you hate cycling just a little bit? All the sportif tips and bike reviews in broadsheets just feel really facile since they were mocking us a few short years ago and that rapha and esquire articles made me sick in my mouth a bit
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • Lanterne_Rogue
    Lanterne_Rogue Posts: 4,325
    Does all this cobblers not make you hate cycling just a little bit? All the sportif tips and bike reviews in broadsheets just feel really facile since they were mocking us a few short years ago and that rapha and esquire articles made me sick in my mouth a bit

I'm not sure about that, but the collective hysteria over only three or four British riders in the Tour made me smile. Four! Ha!
  • ddraver
    ^^Only if you have a thoroughly unrealistic idea of what cycling is
    - @ddraver
  • Yellow Peril
    Yellow Peril Posts: 4,466

I agree. the worse thing I've found is converted mockers. Metaphorically they've spent years kicking your head in , in the playground, for being different now they want to be your best friend because what you do is popular.

They all dip their toe with a spesh allez with some low end Altura /Endura kit then quickly move up to a Pinarello Dogma and wear the entire Rapha catalogue. They also quote Paul's 10km for every 1min in chasing the break as gospel. They also think Sportives are races.
    @JaunePeril

Winner of the Bike Radar Pro Race Wiggins Hour Prediction Competition
  • jimmythecuckoo
    jimmythecuckoo Posts: 4,716
    Dangerous territory looking at the length of the "Are sportives races" thread :)

viewtopic.php?f=40013&t=12972983
  • joelsim
    joelsim Posts: 7,552
    To be honest the more mainstream the better in my view. Every little helps in getting things better for cyclists on infrastructure etc, targeting Times and other publications read by leaders will be beneficial.
  • ddraver

I agree. the worse thing I've found is converted mockers. Metaphorically they've spent years kicking your head in , in the playground, for being different now they want to be your best friend because what you do is popular.

They all dip their toe with a spesh allez with some low end Altura /Endura kit then quickly move up to a Pinarello Dogma and wear the entire Rapha catalogue. They also quote Paul's 10km for every 1min in chasing the break as gospel. They also think Sportives are races.

I e-love the both if you but that is the most colloidal snobby balls...

No one owns a sport, any sport, it is there for everyone to enjoy
    - @ddraver
  • pottssteve
    pottssteve Posts: 4,069
    Joelsim wrote:
    To be honest the more mainstream the better in my view. Every little helps in getting things better for cyclists on infrastructure etc, targeting Times and other publications read by leaders will be beneficial.

Got to agree with this. Of course it's somewhat annoying to have a different cycling article in the paper everyday because people are jumping on the bandwagon. However, the more people who cycle the better, because as drivers they will be more aware and as cyclists they will support those of us who have been doing it for longer. Obviously there will be lots of bell-ends doing it but there are lots of bell-ends doing everything so why should cycling be any different?

Rapha stuff is nice but too expensive for me. And the article is wrong, a quick look through Prendas website will reveal many stylish kits that existed before Rapha - the only difference is not many people in the UK knew about them as they were French, Italian etc teams. The ultimate stylish riding attire is a genuine club kit such as the Manchester Wheelers - real heritage and panache without a monumental price tag.

Steve
    Head Hands Heart Lungs Legs
  • Yellow Peril
    Yellow Peril Posts: 4,466
    ddraver wrote:

I e-love the both if you but that is the most colloidal snobby balls...

No one owns a sport, any sport, it is there for everyone to enjoy

You are right of course. 99.9% of the time I am grown up about it and I don't get beaten up in the playground anymore, it's only when I had my first bottle of vodka before work in the morning it comes out (note I didn't mention fixies :wink:)
    @JaunePeril

Winner of the Bike Radar Pro Race Wiggins Hour Prediction Competition
  • sy1975
    sy1975 Posts: 95
    Joelsim wrote:

I agree - When I started back on a bike again 4 years ago the best bit of advice was "whatever makes you feel good on a bike, gets you out on the bike". I must admit to owning a couple of rapha products (mainly because they are quality), but i also have a few retro jerseys from prendas, plain kit and kit that matches my bikes (I would not wear a yellow, WC or climbers jersey however)

Don't really care if that is right or wrong in some peoples eyes, its got me on my bike, helped me loose 3 stone in weight and I am currently the fittest I have been for 20 years.

All good in my eyes :D
    Sunny Days - De Rosa - King RS Action Azzurro lumina
    Rain - Winter - Wilier - xp izoard "petacchi"
    Classic - 1999 De Rosa - Planet - Aluminio
  • pottssteve wrote:
    The ultimate stylish riding attire is a genuine club kit such as the Manchester Wheelers - real heritage and panache without a monumental price tag.

You were doing well there until you mentioned Manchester! Yorkshire Road Club kit is obviously the most stylish kit out there! Not much panache when I race wearing it, though. :(
  • TMR
    TMR Posts: 3,986
    They also think Sportives are races.

Aren't they? :wink:
  • pottssteve
    pottssteve Posts: 4,069
    pottssteve wrote:
    The ultimate stylish riding attire is a genuine club kit such as the Manchester Wheelers - real heritage and panache without a monumental price tag.

You were doing well there until you mentioned Manchester! Yorkshire Road Club kit is obviously the most stylish kit out there! Not much panache when I race wearing it, though. :(

I'm confused - are you Wallace or Gromit? Either way, they are both from Lancashire and therefore would not be seen dead wearing a Yorkshire club kit!

Steve
    Head Hands Heart Lungs Legs
  • TMR
    TMR Posts: 3,986
    To be fair, I do own a lot of Rapha. I am very 'brand aware' :wink:
  • pottssteve wrote:
    pottssteve wrote:

I'm confused - are you Wallace or Gromit? Either way, they are both from Lancashire and therefore would not be seen dead wearing a Yorkshire club kit!

Steve

A good point. There is a certain inconsistency living in Yorkshire and being named after "foreigners"!
  • Philly8mt
    Philly8mt Posts: 552

I dipped my toe with a Specialized Allez ... Seemed a sensible thing to do ... Ya not going to blow mega money without knowing you'll stick at it?

Snobbery can be found at all levels of cycling & life it seems ....
    Still thinking of something clever to say!
  • Downward
    Downward Posts: 179
    sy1975 wrote:
    Joelsim wrote:

I agree - When I started back on a bike again 4 years ago the best bit of advice was "whatever makes you feel good on a bike, gets you out on the bike". I must admit to owning a couple of rapha products (mainly because they are quality), but i also have a few retro jerseys from prendas, plain kit and kit that matches my bikes (I would not wear a yellow, WC or climbers jersey however)

Don't really care if that is right or wrong in some peoples eyes, its got me on my bike, helped me loose 3 stone in weight and I am currently the fittest I have been for 20 years.

All good in my eyes :D

Agree there. I think you get to an age where you accept yourself and what makes you happy. Ultimately you can't compete with everyone and there will always be someone fitter, faster and richer.