Bugs => Glasses

seajays
seajays Posts: 331
edited July 2014 in Commuting chat
The only problem I''ve found cycling along our old railway line cycle path is that, with it being lined by trees and fields there are lots of flying beasties. So I've realised the necessity of a pair of glasses (bought a pair of the ones with the interchangeable lenses), after being hit in the eye a couple of times!

On the plus side, there's no need to carry snacks/protein bars - just need to keep my mouth open for a couple of hundred yards... mmm, tasty! :shock: :lol:
Cannondale CAADX Tiagra 2017
Revolution Courier Race Disc '14
My Strava

Comments

• itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    its impossible to ride anywhere around here without being swammed by various flies and the minute you stop the horse flies arrive
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • bigmonka
    bigmonka Posts: 361
    Those little flies can really hurt when your cycling 20mph into a headwind, they must effectively be hitting you at 30/40mph! Glasses are a must!
  • Suntan lotion + cloud of small midges makes for an interesting look too
  • Try and avoid swallowing bugs. You never know where it might end

I always have a few pairs of Bolle safety glasses knocking around. You can get get a range of different lenses from clear, to tinted for around £7 a go which almost makes them disposable. I think they look OK on the bike and do the job.

Inhaled a wasp once. Stung my lip and tongue before I could spit it out.
    Nobody told me we had a communication problem
  • seajays
    seajays Posts: 331

No! Just No! :shock: :shock:
    Cannondale CAADX Tiagra 2017
    Revolution Courier Race Disc '14
    My Strava
  • Seajays wrote:

No! Just No! :shock: :shock:

Ah, the flying energy gels. Delicious and nutritious. I agree with WBW, though: the stripy ones taste a bit less pleasant.
  • mtb-idle
    mtb-idle Posts: 2,179
    yesterday was the day that the flying ants were out wans't it? certainly that was the case doon sooth
    FCN = 4
  • graeme_s-2
    graeme_s-2 Posts: 3,382
    A bee once flew into my mouth while I was cycling home from work and stung me on the inside of the lip!
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    I remember cycling along the ridgeway one summer and a wasp flew in between my face and my glasses, i panicked fell jumped off the bike at the same time throwing my glasses away, lucky escape from being stung but not from landing on rocks and stones and cutting myself to crap
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • I once got stung by a wasp several times as it got caught between the leg and the crotch of my cycling shorts.

Thank goodness for chamois.
  • I once got stung by a wasp several times as it got caught between the leg and the crotch of my cycling shorts.

Thank goodness for chamois.

I too once got stung 'down below'. I rushed into the pharmacy looking for something that would take away the pain, but leave the swelling :wink:
    Nobody told me we had a communication problem