First Full Build, Advice Needed

BurritoKing
BurritoKing Posts: 2
edited July 2014 in The workshop
Hey guys!

I’ve been saving my pennies and doing some research and i would really like to build a really good commuter bike. I have really only done basic repairs on my bike over the last 3 years or so and this will be my first full build.

So this is what I’m thinking:

Frame/Fork/BB/Headset/Stem: State Bicycle Co
Handlebars: Nitto Flat Street Bar
Brake Levers: Tektro FL750
Brakes: Tektro R539
Seat: Brooks Cambium
Seatpost: Kalloy Laprade
Crankset: Velo Orange
Pedals: MKS
Internal Hub: SRAM i-3 freewheel
OR
Auto Internal Hub: SRAM Automatix
Rims: Alex Rims
Front Hub: Formula
Shifter: Sturmey Archer SLS30 3RT
Tires:Panaracer

If anyone would could lend some advice I have a couple questions:

- Will these parts be compatible? Are there any better options for quality/price that I should be thinking about?

- Has anyone tried the SRAM Automatix? is is better than an internal hub with a shifter?

- Is it standard to have a professional at my LBS build the wheels with the hub?

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    It doesn't state the rear dropout spacing for the frame, you need to be sure the wheels will fit, it may be the older narrower spacing beloved of hippy fixie riders.

I've not had any experience of hub gears except for the 3 speed SA on my 1970's Raleigh (last ridden in 1982!).

Personally I wouldn't build wheels myself before at least trying a (much easier) rim swap.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.