Any 'cost effective' go-pro alternatives?

dirkpitt74
dirkpitt74 Posts: 518
edited July 2014 in MTB buying advice
As title really.
Looking for a cheaper but decent quality go-pro alternative.
Any recommendations?
Thanks

Chris

Comments

• CitizenLee
    CitizenLee Posts: 2,227
    edited July 2014
    Take a look at the unimaginatively named SJ4000. Can be had for under £70 inc a decent selection of mounts, and is probably as close to GoPro quality as you'll get without paying a premium.

I actually posted some test footage earlier, and there's loads of other vids from this model on YouTube too, along with lots of comparisons to other cameras.

YouTube does seem to compress the footage though, even when selecting 1080 in the options, but viewing the original files on PC does look a little better.

Anyway, see my thread here...

viewtopic.php?f=40066&t=12974427
    Current:
    NukeProof Mega FR 2012
    Cube NuRoad 2018
    Previous:
    2015 Genesis CdF 10, 2014 Cube Hyde Race, 2012 NS Traffic, 2007 Specialized SX Trail, 2005 Specialized Demo 8
  • rgliniany
    rgliniany Posts: 753
    Look at a Kaiser Baas x80 as well..... its what im looking to buy soon...... uses gopro mounts too
    It's a boy , It's a boy , I Shouted Running Into The Street With Tears Running Down My Face.....

That's The Last Time I Holiday In Thailand

URL Pinkbike
  • dirkpitt74
    Thanks guys,
    Will check out the SJ4000.

What's the helmet mount like?
  • Gibbo3771
    Gibbo3771 Posts: 145
    DirkPitt74 wrote:

XC helmet mount is terrible, to much movement in even slightly technical stuff.

Full face is very stable.

Chest mount works best IMO but really overused.

I use x2 SJ4000's, great cameras for the price.
  • welshkev
    welshkev Posts: 9,690
    cheers for the link to the sj4000 I think i'll be getting one of those
  • CitizenLee
    DirkPitt74 wrote:
    Thanks guys,
    Will check out the SJ4000.

How well it sits depends on your lid really. It's ok on my FF but not so much on my trail lid. I only tested in the house though, but I reckon with enough zip ties and velcro you could get it sitting solid on any helmet.
    Current:
    NukeProof Mega FR 2012
    Cube NuRoad 2018
    Previous:
    2015 Genesis CdF 10, 2014 Cube Hyde Race, 2012 NS Traffic, 2007 Specialized SX Trail, 2005 Specialized Demo 8
  • Angus Young
    Angus Young Posts: 3,063
    edited July 2014
    CitizenLee wrote:
    Take a look at the unimaginatively named SJ4000..

Hard to say for sure as there are so many variables from one shoot to another but, from that example, while the clarity of the image is not a million miles away from GoPro the footage does seem rather 'choppy' compared to typical GoPro footage.
    All the gear, no idea and loving the smell of jealousy in the morning.
    Kona Process 134 viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12994607
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    I had a look to and I've seen a lot better.
  • CitizenLee
    CitizenLee wrote:
    Take a look at the unimaginatively named SJ4000..

Had to say for sure as there are so many variables from one shoot to another but, from that example, while the clarity of the image is not a million miles away from GoPro the footage does seem rather 'choppy' compared to typical GoPro footage.

I only bought it for messing about and at £67 vs £200 - £350 I can live with a bit of chop. Probably just need to do the chest straps tighter.
    I had a look to and I've seen a lot better.

Examples, or GTFO.
    Current:
    NukeProof Mega FR 2012
    Cube NuRoad 2018
    Previous:
  • Angus Young
    CitizenLee wrote:
    ... at £67 vs £200 - £350 I can live with a bit of chop.

Yes, at that price, can't complain. Might get one just to get some shots of my daughter riding.
  • CitizenLee
    CitizenLee wrote:
    ... at £67 vs £200 - £350 I can live with a bit of chop.

Yes, at that price, can't complain. Might get one just to get some shots of my daughter riding.

Exactly :)

I'm sure my kids will get more use out of this than me too!
    Current:
    NukeProof Mega FR 2012
    Cube NuRoad 2018
    Previous:
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    I don't have any examples. Perhaps all I've seen and have been good have been GoPro so it doesn't compare. But yes, for the cash vs, can't complain as per the thread.
  • dirkpitt74
    Thanks again chaps.
    Have added it to potential B'day & Chrimbo lists to give the O/H as apparently I'm difficult to buy for......
  • drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    Have just got a Garmin VIRB Elite, and really like it. However the software (Virb Edit) is buggy and pretty crp@p, but hoping for an improvement in the new version 2.6 whenever that comes out.
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • CitizenLee
    drlodge wrote:
    Have just got a Garmin VIRB Elite, and really like it. However the software (Virb Edit) is buggy and pretty crp@p, but hoping for an improvement in the new version 2.6 whenever that comes out.

That looks like a great action cam, and definitely a worthy rival for the high end GoPro models... but as they seem to retail for around £230 - £350, I'd say probably not in fitting with the "cost effective" aspect of the OPs initial question :D
    Current:
    NukeProof Mega FR 2012
    Cube NuRoad 2018
    Previous:
  • iwilldoit
    iwilldoit Posts: 710
    Does the SJ 4000 come with a chest and helmet mount ?
  • CitizenLee
    iwilldoit wrote:
    Does the SJ 4000 come with a chest and helmet mount ?

You can see all the mounts here...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/291129796851

No chesty, but that's only £6.99 on eBay.

Top tip is to use sandpaper on any of the hinged mounts to stop them slipping or moving.
    Current:
    NukeProof Mega FR 2012
    Cube NuRoad 2018
    Previous:
  • I've been using a contour 2 for about a year now. I can't fault it, helmet mount is good, quality, both pic and sound is good. It does what it says on the tin, £90 all in.

HTH.
    DirkPitt74 wrote:
    As title really.
    Looking for a cheaper but decent quality go-pro alternative.
    Any recommendations?
    Thanks

Chris
  • Angus Young
    I've been using a contour 2 for about a year now. I can't fault it, helmet mount is good, quality, both pic and sound is good. It does what it says on the tin, £90 all in.

HTH.

Which one is that. I just Googled "Contour 2" and got this, which is the same price as a GoPro Hero...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LFBwuvBRdoU
  • CitizenLee wrote:
    drlodge wrote:

That looks like a great action cam, and definitely a worthy rival for the high end GoPro models... but as they seem to retail for around £230 - £350, I'd say probably not in fitting with the "cost effective" aspect of the OPs initial question :D

Video on the virb doesnt look anywhere near as good as the goro either. Unless you really want the gps stuff, get the gopro.

I have a contour, but it lacks mounts.
    Basically, anything you cant wear on a chesty mount would be out if I was buying another cam.
  • I just bought this

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Search/se ... m/as15.htm

Plus it's the as30 model not the as15
  • iwilldoit
    With the SJ 4000 how long does the battery last and how long a record time do you have on the sim card, quite interested in one of these just to have a bit of fun recording my 9 year old and at that price he could use it as well, perhaps make the old man look cool erm ish.
  • zx6man
    zx6man Posts: 1,092
    drlodge wrote:

+1
  • CitizenLee
    iwilldoit wrote:
    With the SJ 4000 how long does the battery last and how long a record time do you have on the sim card, quite interested in one of these just to have a bit of fun recording my 9 year old and at that price he could use it as well, perhaps make the old man look cool erm ish.

It will sit on standby for a few hours, but actual recording time is around 70 minutes (this is in 1080, I haven't tried 720). Spare batteries are dirt cheap though. As for video time, it will record until it fills your SD card. I use a class 10 16GB SanDisk Extreme and haven't managed to fill it yet, although I format it between each use.
    Current:
    NukeProof Mega FR 2012
    Cube NuRoad 2018
    Previous:
  • iwilldoit
    CitizenLee wrote:
    iwilldoit wrote:

It will sit on standby for a few hours, but actual recording time is around 70 minutes (this is in 1080, I haven't tried 720). Spare batteries are dirt cheap though. As for video time, it will record until it fills your SD card. I use a class 10 16GB SanDisk Extreme and haven't managed to fill it yet, although I format it between each use.

Thanks for the info, that sound OK to me.
  • dirkpitt74
    Sounds like it should do the job.
    Had a quick trawl of ebay and additional mounts seem fairly cheap too.
  • CitizenLee
    Yeah they use the standard GoPro mount so millions of Chinese knock-offs available! :D
    Current:
    NukeProof Mega FR 2012
    Cube NuRoad 2018
    Previous: