Avid Elixir 3's grinding/rasping

Sprool
Sprool Posts: 1,022
edited July 2014 in MTB workshop & tech
New MTB fitted with Avid Elixir 3's - back one works a treat, front one rubbed a bit, I reset it but its rasping and vibrating when applied now, like riding fast over a cattle grid. I'm new to disc brakes, watched a few youtube videos about setting them up, but I'm pretty sure the front should not be rasping like that when its applied. Any clues whats happening and how to sort it?
I should add the bike is 4 days old, I've done 3 x 10 mile rides, rio i need more time for the pads to 'bed in'? Why is the rear brake fine then and the front not?

Comments

• Sprool
    Seem to have sorted it by really squeezing the brake lever very hard a few times, maybe helping to seat the cylinders more squarely on the rotor, now sounding very pleasing like a fast 'chirruping' of chaffinches in a hedge laden with juicy berries. Really need to get out more. Next issue, rotors a bit out of alignment, these disc brakes may be marvellous but they are a lot more maintenance.
  • I have the same brakes, they can be very fidley brakes,I spent a lot of time listening out for noises, try not to let it bother you as most disc brakes rub,scuff and make an array of noises, as long as they stop you then their doing their job and I'm sure the rotor is in true, doubt it be out of true considering its a new bike!
    'I'll trek two please....!
    To HT or not to HT is the question...
  • Sprool
    Problems back again, rubbing so I reset them, sweet for a while then suddenly a really nasty rasping sound again like knobbly tyres in smooth tarmac. Tried to 'advance' them, now i got air in the system, can't get the pistons all the way back in again and there not enough clearance for the rotor to refit the front wheel :(
    Back to the LBS methinks...
  • I think the rasping noise maybe because the caliper isn't alignment properly, try the loosen the cps bolts and squeeze lever,hold lever in and tighten cps bolts as that will re align the caliper, be patient when pushing the pistons back in, with pads removed I tend to use a tyre lever, works a treat. Did you push the pistons to far out did they drop out when trying to advance the pads? Also when advancing the pads, you should have a pad spacer to insert after advancing to give enough room to get the rotors in again.
    'I'll trek two please....!
    To HT or not to HT is the question...
  • poah
    poah Posts: 3,369
    if it is a new bike then take it back to the LBS you got it from