carrera zelos xc

aradoman
aradoman Posts: 66
edited July 2014 in MTB buying advice
Hi guys

Have been offered a (seemingly) new old stock carrera zelos xc full suspension frame for £95. Just wondered if that sounded like a reasonable price? Assume that it's essentially a banshee but more xc orientated, seems to be 2008/9 model. Not sure where it's been hiding since...

I appreciate this is a budget end full suspension frame, and old, but can't find much on the Web about it?

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Carrera have used the Zelos name for a multitude of frames. Have you got a picture of it?
  • aradoman
    22432.jpg

This is the fleabay pic. Think rear shock may be a little firm...
  • supersonic
    Is not a bad frame. Obviously have to factor in the shock price - I am not sure what dimensions you need though.
  • aradoman
    I think I could use 90% parts from my carrera vulcan I've recently finished, but would need new rear wheel as I think the zelos has 10 mm axle. I have a 190 mm i2i spring type shock in the spares box, would do for now. Think the banshee was 140mm travel though and the forks I have are radion 100 mm but could up them to 120mm if Google is to be believed. Changed travel on my epicons but when had raidons apart it didn't seem to be the same principle
  • supersonic
    Looks like standard dropouts to me. The wrong shock size, even just 10mm out, can massively bugger up the handling. I'd ask the retailer for advice.
  • aradoman
    Okay, I've pm'd seller so hopefully find out tomorrow.

I might take a punt as hard tails are giving me back some gip, I'll just need to convince the wife it cost 40 squid.....
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    aradoman wrote:
    I think I could use 90% parts from my carrera vulcan I've recently finished, but would need new rear wheel as I think the zelos has 10 mm axle. I have a 190 mm i2i spring type shock in the spares box, would do for now. Think the banshee was 140mm travel though and the forks I have are radion 100 mm but could up them to 120mm if Google is to be believed. Changed travel on my epicons but when had raidons apart it didn't seem to be the same principle
    10mm rear axle is standard!

That looks just like a Banshee frame, a Banshee shock is 190/50.

The Banshee frame is HEAVY. Not at all XC.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • aradoman
    If anyone's interested, turned up today, cost me £51.

Almost can't bare to put used parts on this though as it's shiny and new...

20140718_113559.jpg
  • aradoman
    Starting to become a build thread but here's all the bits that fitted, Fitted.

20140718_154410.jpg