Breaking in road shoes

ajlowin1983
ajlowin1983 Posts: 99
edited July 2014 in Road beginners
Hi guys, I've been cycling for just over a year. I have really wide feet with a high arch. I've been using some Northwaves but decided they were too narrow still. I've just got some Shimano r170 wide in a size up but they're still too narrow. My feet feel like they're in a vice!

On average how long does it take to bed in shoes? I've loosened them but no difference. Will the cleat position and type/make of pedal make a difference?

It's not cheap trying different shoes and the two bike shops in Lincoln only sell Spesh and Bontrager which are too narrow.

Thanks

Comments

• bianchimoon
    bianchimoon Posts: 3,942
    Not sure they're designed to give like normal road shoes, certainly the SiDi genius range do not 'stretch or break in' due to the material they're made from, never had northwaves tho' but be surprised if they give. Sounds to me like you've bought wrong size
    All lies and jest..still a man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest....
  • drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    In my experience, road shoes do not "bed in". They either fit from the off, or they don't.
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • t4tomo
    t4tomo Posts: 2,643
    You need to wear them in the bath for a while - it worked with the original Levi 501's so must work with road shoes that are too narrow.
    Bianchi Infinito CV
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Ultegra
    Brompton S Type
    Carrera Vengeance Ultimate Ltd
    Gary Fisher Aquila '98
    Front half of a Viking Saratoga Tandem
  • drlodge
    I wore my new Diadoras standing as I did the ironing - more to make sure they were comfy than to bed them in.

Wearing them in the bath would mean you can't send them back if they don't mold to your fit.
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • bianchimoon
    but whatever you do.. Don't iron while wearing them in the bath, this could invalidate your warranty as well! :)
    All lies and jest..still a man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest....
  • drlodge
    And definately do NOT, I repeat do NOT under any circumstances, drop the iron in the bath while standing in water.
    Find me on Strava
  • bianchimoon
    drlodge wrote:
    And definitely do NOT, I repeat do NOT under any circumstances, drop the iron in the bath while standing in water.
    safest thing is, take the shoes back and get correct size!
  • Thanks guys, I got them from wiggle so can return. Does anyone know if the Bonts are wider? Maybe the mouldable sole would help?
    Thanks
  • bianchimoon
    with wiggle best order a few pairs to try on and send the rest back
  • Tjgoodhew
    Tjgoodhew Posts: 628
    I think Sidi do a mega fit specifically for wide feet
    Cannondale Caad8
    Canyon Aeroad 8.0

http://www.strava.com/athletes/goodhewt
  • BrandonA
    BrandonA Posts: 553
    drlodge wrote:
    In my experience, road shoes do not "bed in". They either fit from the off, or they don't.

Agreed.

If your foot is too wide for the shoe then the shoe will never fit properly.

In regards to your high arch. Companies such as Specialized do different shaped insoles for this very purpose.
  • macleod113
    macleod113 Posts: 560
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/shimano-r088-road-spd-shoes-wide-fit-2014/rp-prod91469?utm_source=Google&utm_medium=Shopping&utm_name=UnitedKingdom&gclid=CIm9iYTmqL8CFUcV7AodWx8Akw&gclsrc=aw.ds

I have had the Shimano R087's in a wide fitting due to by wide flat feet. I still wear them often over my new Bontrager ones as they are simply too narrow for long rides.

I'm not sure of other brands offering wide fittings but its worth a google and at least Wiggle and CRC do free returns which is great.
    Cube Cross 2016
    Willier GTR 2014
  • k-dog
    k-dog Posts: 1,652
    I have wide Bonts and they're very good - and as you say you can mould them to make them fit.

The main thing that will give you pain is the stiff sole and that won't ever change - unless they are mouldable. Synthetic materials are designed not to stretch so nothing will improve with time.
    I'm left handed, if that matters.