Back brake not working!!!!

alamb200
alamb200 Posts: 74
edited July 2014 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi,

I have recently had to scrap my old road bike and so have put some slick tyres on my old mountain bike and now use that for my comute into work.

The trouble is the back brake does not stop me or realistically it does not even make a polite attempt to slow me down a bit.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/zv69mnkawk34 ... doKMH2s2_a

I have tried adjusting it and also tried two different types of brake pad but nothing.

Obviously I am doing something wrong so can you help?

Thanks,

alamb200

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Adjust it so the arms are more out, clean the rims, replace the cables.

Use the front brake.

Get discs.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    In the second pic the brake block is clearly a long way off being aligned to the rim, so that would be a great start.

They are called canti's, not cantilever brakes for a reason.......

Does the lever pull to the bar and the or pull OK just the brake not work?
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • alamb200
    The pull does not seem too bad but I am going to get a new brake cable as my first move.

I will report back on whether that helps.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    If it returns OK after you pull it, it's not likely to be the cable, though still can be.

I'd align the brake block to the rim as my first move, it's free!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • photonic69
    photonic69 Posts: 2,672
    Should he not have a bit of 'toe in' to reduce brake squeal/shudder? It does look like he has that in the pic?

But yes, I agree, make sure blocks are aligned with rim properly first and that they grab well, then worry about fine tuning them. They do look a little high up towards the tyre though from the pics

Sometimes. Maybe. Possibly.

• alamb200
    I have changed the brake cable and sleeve and my brake is now working.

Thanks for all your help and advice with this.