Bike racks for towbars

secretsam
secretsam Posts: 5,120
edited July 2014 in Road buying advice
Just about to get a towbar fitted to the family bus

Want to carry 4 bikes and this seems the most sensible way to do it

Am thinking of getting a Thule rack - we have a local dealer - any other recommendations, given that the Thule is £500ish!!!!???

It's just a hill. Get over it.

Comments

• Dippydog2
    Dippydog2 Posts: 291
    I have one of these.

Awesome product and fantastic company to work with.

http://www.roofbox.co.uk/scripts/rbvehs ... gD%7E3HHGT
  • dabber
    dabber Posts: 1,975
    Dippydog2 wrote:
    I have one of these.

I agree on both counts. A great rack that I'm always happy to recommend. I've had mine for about 3 years and apart from the odd jaunt in the UK is used to go down to the southwest of France (about 640 miles each way for me) 4 times a year. Easy to load and fix to car and bikes safely attached.
    “You may think that; I couldn’t possibly comment!”

Wilier Cento Uno SR/Wilier Mortirolo/Specialized Roubaix Comp/Kona Hei Hei/Calibre Bossnut
  • alphacharlie
    alphacharlie Posts: 202
    Dippydog2 wrote:
    I have one of these.

We also have one of these, used it for 3+ years now without issue, its better now the kids bikes are bigger as they hold more securely. Also a nice secure way to store them off the car whilst we are camping. Had to change some locks recently as the Mrs mangaged to try the strada key in our roofbox "roofbox.co.uk" used to source the replacement locks and all good again.

Cheers
    AC
    Carrera Fury for the muddy stuff
    Boardman Road Team for the black stuff
    PDQ for the TT stuff
  • secretsam
    secretsam Posts: 5,120
    So that's 3 recommendations for the Atera! How good is that 'sliding' thing?

It's just a hill. Get over it.
  • rokt
    rokt Posts: 493
    I also have the Strada and it is very good. Check out the YouTube video by The Roofbox Company it shows just how easy it is to use.
  • lostboysaint
    lostboysaint Posts: 4,250
    Another vote for the Atera Strada.
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • dabber
    dabber Posts: 1,975
    I've only needed to use the "sliding feature" a couple of times and it seemed to work fine. I needed to open the tailgate on my 4x4 to put in something I'd forgotten. Simple to use and a secure feeling.
    “You may think that; I couldn’t possibly comment!”

Wilier Cento Uno SR/Wilier Mortirolo/Specialized Roubaix Comp/Kona Hei Hei/Calibre Bossnut
  • kim10
    kim10 Posts: 186
    Another recommendation for the Strada. Have had mine for 3 years now and it has been great. The sliding feature works very well and I have never had any issues with it.
  • Halfords one has been really good - lacks a certain style but is really solid and has been over Europe with 4 bikes with no issues. Was a quarter of an equlivilent Thule when i bought it.
    Look 566
    Dolan Hercules
    Genesis Flyer
    Sintesi 707
    Genesis Aether
    Charge Plug
  • Dippydog2
    Dippydog2 Posts: 291
    SecretSam wrote:
    So that's 3 recommendations for the Atera! How good is that 'sliding' thing?
    Very good. You operate it with your foot! Stand on the bar and the bikes slide towards you. Open the boot, do the business, shut the boot. Shove the bikes away from you towards the car and it all clicks into place. A really good feature.

Very robust construction. Mine is new this year, but I expect it to outlast me. Doesn't seem to have much that could go wrong. Unlike me. :(