Wide wheel tyre compatibility

the_jackalcp
the_jackalcp Posts: 276
edited July 2014 in Workshop
Hey Guys,

I have some Pacenti Sl23 rims that I have been running NOS Vittoria Diamante Pro2 tyres on. It should be noted that these tyres were used on some DA wheels previously (perhaps 2000+miles total) with out problems. A couple of days ago I noticed a bulge in the rear tyre (pic below).

v8k787.jpg

So I changed both tyres to Schwalbe one 23c, same size as the Vittoria. 45 miles into my first ride I can feel a slight hop in the front wheel. I stopped and found a slight bulge. Tried re-seating the tyre to no effect and on closer examination I noticed a 4-5 inch deformation in the tread area. It's not damage, it's irregularity in the shape of the tyre.

otqdti.jpg

sp91kl.jpg

My question is whether 23c tyres are suitable for wide rims? Is it possible that as the tyre is being stretched during install that damage is occuring within the inner construction of the tyre? Would 25c tyres be a better step going forward in an attempt to stop this happening again or am I just being unlucky?

Thanks
Mike
https://www.bikeauthority.cc/
IG - bikeauthority.cc

Comments

• ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,310
    Pacenti are tubeless rims... you need to make sure the tyre has "popped" all along and it is sitting correctly on the rim (follow the bead at the side)... which clearly is not by the look of it.

If that's the case, you need to manipulate it a bit until it sits correctly and check the rim tape is nice and neat... which tape are you using?

If in doubt, give me a shout as you are local and I can have a look at it for you
    left the forum March 2023
  • the_jackalcp
    Ugo,

Thanks for the offer of help, you have given me your time before so I am reluctant to bother you again with my insignificant wheel problems.

I'm pretty sure it's not a mounting problem. I agree that it looks like the tyre isn't seated properly however I'm almost positive it is. I have already tried manipulating it several times however this has had no effect. I have installed both the Vittoria and the Schwalbe tyres on an OpenPro wheel and both tyres still show the same defect. I'm using 2 layers of Stans 21mm tape which I think is installed well. I'm fairly sure it's a tyre fault rather than me being inept hence why I was wondering if 23c tyres are suitable for wide rims. The other tyres on my Pacenti rims are fine and I installed them in exactly the same way as the "faulty" ones.
    IG - bikeauthority.cc
  • ugo.santalucia
    I have installed both the Vittoria and the Schwalbe tyres on an OpenPro wheel and both tyres still show the same defect.

In which case yes, you have some issues with the tyres
  • the_jackalcp
    Have you seen anything like this with archetypes or other wide rimmed wheels? Do you think I am just unlucky or are 25c tyres more suited to wide rims?
    IG - bikeauthority.cc
  • ugo.santalucia
    Have you seen anything like this with archetypes or other wide rimmed wheels? Do you think I am just unlucky or are 25c tyres more suited to wide rims?

What's the rim got to do with it? You said they are deformed even on an Open PRO???

There is no issue in using 23 mm tyres with 23-24 mm rims
  • the_jackalcp
    I am wondering if the wide rim is causing the tyre to be stretched/deformed too much hence leading to damage of the tyre, either during install of when under pressure. Obviuously once the tyre is damaged(for whatever reason) it doesn't matter what rim the tyre is on.

2 tyres damaged in similar ways in 2 days (one tyre being new) is either really unlucky or signifies a problem somewhere (tyre, rim or me) hence the question.

Thanks for your input, I think you have answered my question.
    IG - bikeauthority.cc
  • ugo.santalucia
    Certainly not the Archetype, which is a rather loose fit.
    I often wondered if tubeless rims stretch and damage the tyre bead, but having used many Velocity A 23, that's never been the case. If it is a Pacenti problem... it is not impossible, but it's not something I have heard of before.