Bedding in without hills

bailsofhay
bailsofhay Posts: 191
edited July 2014 in MTB workshop & tech
Just installed some new sintered pads and a new rotor but am a bit worried about the bedding in process. I would usually use a long hill to bed them in but all I have at the moment a loads of flats. Anyone know the best way to do this without using some helpful gravity? I thought maybe building some speed and then dropping to a low gear to continue pedaling while applying brake but I am somewhat worried about glazing the pads doing this.

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Just ride.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • bailsofhay
    I have been but the noise is starting to do my nut. Really grating grinding noise when braking although the stopping power is good. The pads and rotor are both brand new as of 30 miles ago and I have never used superstar sintered pads or the selcof rotors so maybe its just how they behave together and I should just get used to it. I will just keep telling myself that the noise will stop if I ride one more mile and if nothing else I will be a bit fitter.
  • swod1
    swod1 Posts: 1,639
    sintered pads are metal based so are going to be noiser than resin/organic pads.

The grinding noise is probably the pads putting a layer of material on the disc and should settle down as its metal to metal contact, its the squeal you dont want on the brakes that is worse.
  • bailsofhay
    Yeah no squeal and they have quieted down quite a bit but now I keep getting random moments when the rotor and pads start making contact without any user input then disappear a few second later. Wondering if I have a sticky piston though I will probably just live with it till I can be bothered to service them.
  • swod1
    bailsofhay wrote:
    Yeah no squeal and they have quieted down quite a bit but now I keep getting random moments when the rotor and pads start making contact without any user input then disappear a few second later. Wondering if I have a sticky piston though I will probably just live with it till I can be bothered to service them.

Did you make sure the brake caliper was re aligned when you fitted the new pads ?

As you could have a bent disc rotor rubbing the pads every so often the wheel spins or need to align the brake caliper so the disc can spin freely with out touching the pads.

if the piston was sticky you would have had trouble fitting the new pads in the brake.
  • bailsofhay
    They are as aligned as I can get them by eye and the loosen caliper, grab brake, re-tighten caliper method. Most of the time the wheel spins freely i.e. not toughing pads it only makes contact on those random occasions. The rotor does have a a very slight warp but its less than a mm out on 1/4 of the disk so negligible. If its not the pistons I am struggling to find a reason I would get random pad touching like I am.
  • swod1
    bailsofhay wrote:
    They are as aligned as I can get them by eye and the loosen caliper, grab brake, re-tighten caliper method. Most of the time the wheel spins freely i.e. not toughing pads it only makes contact on those random occasions. The rotor does have a a very slight warp but its less than a mm out on 1/4 of the disk so negligible. If its not the pistons I am struggling to find a reason I would get random pad touching like I am.

if the disc is out of true slightly you could where the disc is bent get an adjustable spanner etc and bend it back.