Tubeless questions

peat
peat Posts: 1,242
edited July 2014 in MTB general
Hello all. Thinking of making the switch to tubeless. My wheels and tyres are 'ready' so all i need to do is pull my finger out.

Some questions:

Storage -
How does the sealant cope with being left in the bottom of a tyre for a few weeks?
Is it effected by extreme heat? (Where i store my bikes gets all the afternoon sun and turns into an oven)

On the trail -
In the event of a flat, are there any additional tools i should carry to deal with the slime and valve?

Cheers

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    On the trail - tube and tyre levers etc.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    Sealant will be fine for a few weeks (or indeed months), give the wheel a shake - if you hear sloshing, then it's fine.

Heat shouldn't be an issue, won't be all that hot anyway.

On the trail yep, just stick a tube in. Don't do your valve up too tight though, or you won't be able to remove it.
  • Carry a tube to be safe (I have a 26" to cover both my 26" and 650b bikes, but you may also want a tubeless repair kit. Depending on the problem, it could be far easier than putting a tube in.

Once you've used it once or seen someone use it you'll realise how simple it is.

Similar idea to the old 'mushroom' repairs on motorcycle (and probably car) tyres.

http://weldtite.co.uk/products/detail/cycle-tubeless-tyre-outside-repair-kit
  • peat
    peat Posts: 1,242
    Thanks chaps
  • lugsey2k5
    lugsey2k5 Posts: 960
    At one point i was leaving my wheels in the car in side wheel bags. The roof is made of glass and the car got very hot through the day. The sealant didn't last long.