Super-rad helmet for enduro magicians

Ferrals
Ferrals Posts: 785
edited July 2014 in MTB buying advice
Which apart from being an attention grabbing headline, actually means after a bad crash I'm scared to hurt my head again :lol: :oops:

So I'm dead set on a enduro/all-mountain/trail type lid. I'm not really an enduro magician, I like cross-country rides - my favourite being whites level at afan- and pre crash was starting to re-live (very badly) my teenage love of xc racing so I want something well ventilated as possible for that style of lid.

Yesterday I tried on a bunch of helmets in a local shop: the giro xar which I thought would be perfect wasn't great, I didnt have that much confidence that it was giving me any more coverage than an xc lid and fit felt funny; the specialized tactic seemed good, the helmet fitted but the straps came at my head at an odd angle and lacked adjustment so it was uncomfortable; the bell super was snug with a re-assuring amount of coverage but felt hot even in the shop. So, after a large amount of deliberation and review reading I'm tempted to get a scott stego in to try as I think i seems a half way between the bell and the xar. Has anyone got one and care to give a real world review?

Comments

• .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    Ferrals wrote:
    the bell super was snug with a re-assuring amount of coverage but felt hot even in the shop
    it was a warm day yesterday :wink:

The Super is the best helmet of that type I've owned in terms of venting. I sweat like a Geordie in a maths test but providing I keep moving, the air flow through the Super is pretty good and the brow vents actually work. Super-plush lining doesn't absorb perspiration either
  • Angus Young
    Angus Young Posts: 3,063
    You need this!

All the gear, no idea and loving the smell of jealousy in the morning.
    Kona Process 134 viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12994607
  • Ferrals
    :lol::lol: Angus, I wonder if they do them with hair extensions!

Cheers blitz, that's interesting, i guess thats the difference between standing around and actually riding. My gut feeling at the mo is i'll either buy the Super or the Stego so I'm going to get them to get in the Stego so I can have a look - I'd need to put a deposit down but if after trying on the Stego I decide I prefer the Bell I can put the deposit towards the Bell.

Either way I wont actually be riding in anger till mid September by which time it will probably be cold and wet! :(:lol:
  • felix.london
    felix.london Posts: 4,067
    Giro Feature has more rear coverage than the Xar I think
    "Why have that extra tooth if you're not using it?" - Brian Lopes

Votec V.SX Enduro 'Alpine Thug' 2012/2013 build

Trek Session 8
  • poah
    poah Posts: 3,369
    other than a bit at the back of the head do these over priced "enduro" lids actually offer any more protection? I can't remember the last time I hit the back of my head when falling off.
  • Angus Young
    POAH wrote:
    I can't remember the last time I hit the back of my head when falling off.

It's not the last time that matters. It's the first time that will be the problem.
  • Ferrals
    I know of two people who have died from (non-cycling) knocks to the back of the head. Its a vulnerable area and it just makes sense.
  • m_cozzy
    m_cozzy Posts: 132
    Maybe check out the new met parachute 2014?
    Will protect the back of your head & stop your teeth getting smashed out also.
    Banned from singletrack forum again :-)
  • Ferrals
    The Stego wasnt showing in stock so I pulled the trigger on the Bell - I tried it on again and it just felt so comfy. As I wont be properly riding till Sept the heat shouldn't be an issue and I'm sure I'll have wrekced my self and be needing something else by tis time next year!
  • poah
    Ferrals wrote:
    I know of two people who have died from (non-cycling) knocks to the back of the head. Its a vulnerable area and it just makes sense.

and what has that got to do with this conversation? at no point did I say that brain stem injurys are not serious or life threatening.
  • poah
    m_cozzy wrote:
    Maybe check out the new met parachute 2014?
    Will protect the back of your head & stop your teeth getting smashed out also.

depends who you talk to online lol
  • CitizenLee
    CitizenLee Posts: 2,227
    IXS Trail RS... light, good coverage, very well vented and the dial-a-fit system works like a charm. Doesn't look stupid either, like a lot of "enduro" lids do... but then not too XC looking either ;)
    Current:
    NukeProof Mega FR 2012
    Cube NuRoad 2018
    Previous:
    2015 Genesis CdF 10, 2014 Cube Hyde Race, 2012 NS Traffic, 2007 Specialized SX Trail, 2005 Specialized Demo 8
  • poah
    POAH wrote:

It's not the last time that matters. It's the first time that will be the problem.

Same goes for when you wrap your balls off the cross bar but you don't cycle wearing a cup do you?
  • Angus Young
    POAH wrote:
    POAH wrote:

Same goes for when you wrap your balls off the cross bar but you don't cycle wearing a cup do you?

I think that qualifies as a non sequitur.
  • Ferrals
    POAH wrote:
    Ferrals wrote:

and what has that got to do with this conversation? at no point did I say that brain stem injurys are not serious or life threatening.
    To my mind, if you are pushing yourself faster, spending more time in the air etc you are more likely to crash, so the better you can protect any vulnerable area the better, and spending another 30quid to get a bit more protection is worth doing.
  • .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    Ferrals wrote:
    As I wont be properly riding till Sept the heat shouldn't be an issue
    Good choice, should be fine by then. I bought mine early this year and there's only been a couple of days since then when it's been hot enough to be noticeable and even then the lining stops the interior feeling like a wet towel.
  • poah
    Ferrals wrote:
    POAH wrote:
    Ferrals wrote:

To my mind, if you are pushing yourself faster, spending more time in the air etc you are more likely to crash, so the better you can protect any vulnerable area the better, and spending another 30quid to get a bit more protection is worth doing.

so you should be wearing a FF then
  • Ferrals
    :If you read my initial post you'd see i mainly ride xc, its only this recent crash, and the joys of strava which showed i was regularly exceeding 40kmh on the downs which made me re-evaluate. everything is a compromise unless your minted and can afford a bunch of different helmets. I guess you are just deliberately being contrary though (nothing wrong with that :lol: )

In all honesty its also partly down to the mrs, she didnt particularly enjoy visiting me in a&e and so was adamant I needed to get a helmet with lots more protection! :oops: :oops:

cheers blitz, i read a few more reviews saying it is surprisingly cool so am sure it will be ideal.
  • poah
  • russyh
    russyh Posts: 1,375
    I have cracked a helmet with back of head protection sliding on my back into a dry stone wall. I wouldn't buy a helmet without it now for mtb riding,

I also have full face for uplift days mind!
  • bigmitch41
    bigmitch41 Posts: 685
    Think I'd be looking at the Bluegrass Goldeneye if in the market for a new lid, very cool!
    Paracyclist
    @Bigmitch_racing
    2010 Specialized Tricross (commuter)
    2014 Whyte T129-S
    2016 Specialized Tarmac Ultegra Di2
    Big Mitch - YouTube
  • felix.london
    felix.london Posts: 4,067
    BigMitch41 wrote:
    Think I'd be looking at the Bluegrass Goldeneye if in the market for a new lid, very cool!

Does look nice doesn't it - but even if I was in the market for a new lid that's the wrong side of £100 for me
    "Why have that extra tooth if you're not using it?" - Brian Lopes

Votec V.SX Enduro 'Alpine Thug' 2012/2013 build

Trek Session 8
  • bigmitch41
    bigmitch41 Posts: 685
    BigMitch41 wrote:

Does look nice doesn't it - but even if I was in the market for a new lid that's the wrong side of £100 for me

£89.99 in CRC :wink:
    Paracyclist
    @Bigmitch_racing
    2010 Specialized Tricross (commuter)
    2014 Whyte T129-S
    2016 Specialized Tarmac Ultegra Di2
    Big Mitch - YouTube
  • Hob Nob
    Hob Nob Posts: 200
    If it's for Enduroing, then the brightest one that matches the rear of your kit & goggles.

I have a TLD A1. It's the first helmet I've found as comfy as my old Giro Xen. I went for the pinstripe black one though,so clearly not a true enduroist.