Internal cabling

crescent
crescent Posts: 1,201
edited July 2014 in Workshop
Just a quickie about internal cabling. Is there some form of internal conduit to guide the cables from entry point to exit point, or is it a case of trying to fish it out the other end?

Cheers
Bianchi ImpulsoBMC Teammachine SLR02 01Trek Domane AL3“When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race. “ ~H.G. Wells Edit - "Unless it's a BMX"

Comments

• team47b
    team47b Posts: 6,425
    Crescent wrote:
    Just a quickie about internal cabling. Is there some form of internal conduit to guide the cables from entry point to exit point, or is it a case of trying to fish it out the other end?

Cheers

An internal conduit would be a great idea, you should patent that one :D

No, it's tipping the frame and and look into the exit hole and fishing it out with a paper clip, did mine first attempt but YMMV, aluminium tubes are more free of any obstructions than carbon frames.

or some people try a piece of cotton tied to the cable and a vacuum cleaner.
    my isetta is a 300cc bike
  • StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    The Dolan Ares SL has a proper fixed channel for internal cabling making replacing cables a doddle. Maybe other manufacturers have the same? I have to resort to the cotton and vacuum trick each time I have to replace cables as there aren't even any straws on my bikes.
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.
  • Ask your LBS if they have the internal guides that come in most frames these days.

You then remove the cable outer, slip the guide over the inner whilst in the frame until you hit something at the other end then take out the inner. This will ensure you can thread the inner back through without the faff of magnets or torches etc. Then, once your inner is installed, just whip the liner out for next time.
  • g00se
    g00se Posts: 2,221
    Depends on the frame - some have nothing (fishing trip); some have replaceable liners and some have guides that accommodate a full outer too.
  • crescent
    crescent Posts: 1,201
    Thanks.
    Bianchi ImpulsoBMC Teammachine SLR02 01Trek Domane AL3“When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race. “ ~H.G. Wells Edit - "Unless it's a BMX"