Disc brake issue

tangled_metal
tangled_metal Posts: 4,021
edited July 2014 in The workshop
Rear disc brake on my hybrid bike has a squeak when I'm walking slowly with it. It's more like a rubbing noise. It stops when I touch the brakes. Anyone got an idea what it is? It's my only road fit bike and my main transport to work so I need to make sure it is running well.
Also got a creaking when pedalling especially when running a higher gear (mashing it I believe is the correct term). Can't see any play in the cranks.
The bike is less than a year old and not had heavy use. I've only been commuting 2-3 weeks now.

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    The squeak will go with use. It is just the pads just being rubbed by the disc.

Bob needs adjusting of cranks need tightening.

ID the type you have and read the info on parktools about adjusting them.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • tangled_metal
    tangled_metal Posts: 4,021
    Thanks. Thought it was the cranks. Had that on my old bike once. Tightened it up and OK so will try it with this bike.
    The brake issue has only just started, had the bike almost a year and only just started rubbing. A bit too late for a bedding in type of problem I'd have thought. Does sound like you could be right so I'll give it time and see if it goes. The brakes really grabbed quickly when new, surprised me how much better disc brake were over other types. Took me some time to stop being caught out. I even braked once and nearly went over the bars! My old bike had bad brakes so it was a big change. Now it is not as sudden, the braking is smoother and even. Not as strong. I'd have thought this was because it's broken in.
  • bigmonka
    bigmonka Posts: 361
    Sounds like the brake pads need adjusting, it's a fairly simple job on the types I've used.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Rear disc brake on my hybrid bike has a squeak when I'm walking slowly with it.
    It stops when I touch the brakes. Anyone got an idea what it is? .
    It's simply the bike crying with shame as you are walking next to it and not riding it as you should.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Also got a creaking when pedalling especially when running a higher gear (mashing it I believe is the correct term). Can't see any play in the cranks.

Check the chain! I've just had the same issue, a new chain solved it!