Still causing chaos!

DrGashlycrumb
DrGashlycrumb Posts: 7
edited July 2014 in MTB beginners
My confidence has grown in leaps and bounds since buying my voodoo bizango 29er, it's a beast of a bike and being still somewhat of a novice it gives me a confidence boost, how ever there is one issue.....
The distance riding I'm good with , the hills around here.... I'm getting better at, even weaving through the Glastonbury festival standstill traffic I genuinely loved (a certain smugness hit me as they boiled in cars and I glided nimbly by)
But there is an issue that I seem to get more often in these summer months and it stops me in my tracks.... It wipes the smugness off my face and makes me want to die in a hedge.....bugs!! I wouldn't mind to much if the stuck in my mouth or in my teeth but inhaling them is a whole new experience my body doesn't know what's going on it's like I'm being exorcised just with more dribble, my hill climbs stopped dead by a Nat shooting up my nose or a horsefly in the back of my throat......... I wouldn't mind if I could chew the things lol

What is it you folk do to counter this??

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Keep your mouth shut.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • bigmitch41
    bigmitch41 Posts: 685
    I caught a beauty in my mouth this morning, don’t think the car that steadily overtook me could appreciate me gobbing said fly and half a litre of saliva against its passenger window as it glided by though!
    Paracyclist
    @Bigmitch_racing
    2010 Specialized Tricross (commuter)
    2014 Whyte T129-S
    2016 Specialized Tarmac Ultegra Di2
    Big Mitch - YouTube
  • Gibbo3771
    Gibbo3771 Posts: 145
    Don't be a mouth breather?

I've had it happen plenty of times, yesterday I was firing down a single track and as per usual, some over-privileged asswipe thought it would be ok to let their pony to a huge jobbie right in the middle of the path. I dodge it but god the amount of flies that just took off from it, it was basically a black cloud right in front of me.

Safe to say I had plenty of them in my helmet, over my face and one in the mouth.
  • Hahaha I'm glad I'm not the only one!!
    I think it's something we have to put up with.
    I've tried to breathe through my nose but I end up just trying to stop the contents of my nose running onto my top lip!
    That and this afternoon on the way back from work a Nat shot up my nose and straight into my chest without touching the sides......AGAIN, after a few minutes of panic, dribble and dry heaving all was ok lol
  • Try a buff,very thin and not really that warm
  • arran77
    arran77 Posts: 9,260
    cooldad wrote:
    Keep your mouth shut.

I thought you were being rude again until I bothered to fully read the first post :lol:
    "Arran, you are like the Tony Benn of smut. You have never diluted your depravity and always stand by your beliefs. You have my respect sir and your wife my pity" :lol:

seanoconn
  • steelo
    steelo Posts: 542
    Recently I had a fly hit me in the eye on a fast downhill, managed to get to the bottom of the trail intact but with one eye shut. I finally removed the fly the following afternoon!

If anyone finds a decent way of removing all the flies from the trail I'm about to ride down then please let me know. :lol:
    Specialized Rockhopper '07
    Trek Fuel EX8 '09
  • welshkev
    welshkev Posts: 9,690
    arran77 wrote:
    cooldad wrote:
    Keep your mouth shut.

I thought you were being rude again until I bothered to fully read the first post :lol:

I'm sure the connotation was there somewhere :lol:
  • ScareyJ
    ScareyJ Posts: 64
    Looking forward to the cooler months!
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    steelo wrote:
    If anyone finds a decent way of removing all the flies from the trail I'm about to ride down then please let me know. :lol:
    Get the hired help to ride down in front of you!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Gibbo3771 wrote:
    some over-privileged asswipe thought it would be ok to let their pony to a huge jobbie right in the middle of the path. I dodge it but god the amount of flies that just took off from it, it was basically a black cloud right in front of me.

A few things. Most horse riders are no more privileged than your average mountain biker. My mountain bike cost more than my friends very good horse and running costs seem about the same. It's a bit of a myth that most horse riders are loaded, they are the small minority.
    The rider has no choice about where their horse does it's business and usually they don't even know about it. Horse riders have as much right to use bridleways as us. Most of the volunteers who maintain bridleways around here are horse riders, very few cyclists or walkers make the effort.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    For once RM and I are in 100% agreement.

My Daughter (who rides an MTB as well) had a hire on a Pony last year she funded from working whilst also at Uni, the Pony was only worth about £200 when she started schooling it and worth about £350 now it can be 'hacked', upkeep is about £30 a week. Clearly she she could not be classed as over-priveleged and nor, I assure you, is she an asswipe.

Charlotte DuJardin (? spelling) who won the Dressage gold at the Olympics (so Posh sounding name and a discipline that looks a bit 'snooty') was brought up on a Council estate and went to the local comprehensive school, she worked her butt off to be able to afford to get into what is an expensive sport to be in.

Being ignorant of the truth is one thing, displaying it for all to see is another.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.