XT Crank, Chainring problem

Dan-Coll
Dan-Coll Posts: 40
edited July 2014 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi all,

I am currently trying to remove my chain rings from my Xt crank however they seem to be on there really tightly. This is the first time i have tried to remove them from buying the crank set. They are the torx type head and i am worried about stripping the heads, does anyone know if these are a different size to the usual torx head? Or are there any tricks that would help?

Cheers,
Dan

Comments

• Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    No such thing. Try going up until it doesn't fit. Prob t27, try harder and make sure you're doing in anti clock
  • Horton
    Horton Posts: 327
    Bizarrely enough one of the MBUK Staff writers had the exact same problem with an XT Crank in this month's issue - described as "a perfect storm of Loctite and over-zealous tightening".. He resorted to a blowtorch to heat them up and then once removed, replaced them with standard allen key jobs.
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    If the chainset is still on the bike then anchor the crank to the frame if possible with a toe strap etc.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • wilberforce
    wilberforce Posts: 315
    If same as SLX, the bolts are T30 Torx
  • benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    Ive found they can take a beating with a torx bit no worries. Thats whats good about Torx. If you have a vice, try clamping a 20p coin in the vice to then use to hold the rear of the bolt in place. If you don't hold the back they tend just to spin ever so slightly and never break the 'lock'.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • Dan-Coll
    Dan-Coll Posts: 40
    Cheers Guys, managed to get them off just had to borrow a friends tool kit who had torx bits and ratchet for extra leaverage.