ukip back turning

sungod
sungod Posts: 17,125
edited July 2014 in The cake stop
i see that the ukip meps turned their backs on the orchestra in parliament today

about what i'd expect from bigoted, pathetic, obnoxious, ill-mannered scum, but still a disgusting sight that only damages the uk's image

if the ukip oafs don't like democracy, fine, they can stay home, give their salaries to charity and save the taxpayers the cost of paying their expenses

/grrr

anyway, i'm off out to find a brasserie and have a nice euro meal with a euro colleague
my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny

Comments

• MountainMonster
    MountainMonster Posts: 7,423
    So, what did I miss?
  • MountainMonster
    MountainMonster Posts: 7,423
    OK, just came across the news article on BC. What a bunch of idiots, and these people are there representing England. I'm not even English and I find their behaviour utterly repulsive.
  • Frank the tank
    Frank the tank Posts: 6,553
    As "sungod" alluded to, they won't be sending their salary cheques back will they. :evil:
    Tail end Charlie

The above post may contain traces of sarcasm or/and bullsh*t.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 60,598
    Playing Devils advocate here, at least they are trying to represent UK interests in their own rather rude and amateurish way - which is more than you can ever say about the EU :wink:
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 13,195
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    at least they are trying to represent UK interests in their own rather rude and amateurish way:

While noting the wink, they are representing their own rather narrow and self-serving interests, not those of the UK as a whole. Embarrassing toxxers. No wink.
  • random man
    random man Posts: 1,518
    I wonder what they'll do if they get their wish and Britain pulls out of the EU? Maybe they haven't thought of that.
  • Giraffoto
    Giraffoto Posts: 2,078
    random man wrote:
    I wonder what they'll do if they get their wish and Britain pulls out of the EU? Maybe they haven't thought of that.

At a guess, start campaigning against "the enemy within". . .
    Specialized Roubaix Elite 2015
    XM-057 rigid 29er
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    orraloon wrote:
    While noting the wink, they are representing their own rather narrow and self-serving interests, not those of the UK as a whole. Embarrassing toxxers. No wink.

They're not supposed to represent the 'UK as a whole' - just the constituencies that elected them.
  • Paulie W
    Paulie W Posts: 1,492
    Imposter wrote:
    orraloon wrote:

They're not supposed to represent the 'UK as a whole' - just the constituencies that elected them.

You do realise members of the European Parliament dont have constituencies?
  • imposter2.0
    Paulie W wrote:
    Imposter wrote:
    orraloon wrote:

MEPs are elected to represent regions within the UK. A constituency is defined as a group of voters in a specified area who elect a representative to a legislative body. The EU even refers to them as 'electoral constituencies', so what else would you call it?
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    As "sungod" alluded to, they won't be sending their salary cheques back will they. :evil:
    UKIP MEPs give a proportion of their income to the party. The rest is theirs to do as they please with, but will have to cover normal costs such as admin, travel etc. It's a generous system so they won't be short, but I don't see why they should be expected to work for free. They stood openly for their views on Europe and the whole European Parliament fiasco, enough people voted for them to get them in.
  • Paulie W
    Imposter wrote:
    Paulie W wrote:
    Imposter wrote:
    orraloon wrote:

MEPs are elected to represent regions within the UK. A constituency is defined as a group of voters in a specified area who elect a representative to a legislative body. The EU even refers to them as 'electoral constituencies', so what else would you call it?

Welll I'd call them electoral regions as they are more commonly known. They dont function in the way that constituencies do in the UK parliament as I'm sure you know not least because not all member states elect their MEPs on a regional basis. The regions are primarily a way of managing the electoral process rather than a way of giving the regions a specific voice.
  • imposter2.0
    Paulie W wrote:
    Welll I'd call them electoral regions as they are more commonly known.

Otherwise known as constituencies, ffs. Jesus fella - it's ok to call them constituencies - get over it and move on... :lol:
  • Paulie W
    Imposter wrote:
    Paulie W wrote:

Otherwise known as constituencies, ffs. Jesus fella - it's ok to call them constituencies - get over it and move on... :lol:

MEPs have feck all to do with their 'constituencies' - you were basically trying to make a point that didn't stand up to scrutiny. Just accept that then we can move on...
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 9,026
    If they are elected by regions and part of their function is to represent those regions then constituencies seems a fair description, they may be regional constituencies but they are still constituencies.

Anyway on to the back turning, it may be a bit futile but a peaceful protest at the playing of the anthem of the EU seems fair enough. I'm not particularly one for national anthems anyway but for the EU to start taking on the trappings of a nation state is surely a natural think for a UKIP MEP to disapprove of. I don't think that behaviour is repulsive or non-democratic - if anything it probably represents the feelings of a large minority or even a majority of the population of this country.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • imposter2.0
    Paulie W wrote:
    Imposter wrote:
    Paulie W wrote:

MEPs have feck all to do with their 'constituencies' - you were basically trying to make a point that didn't stand up to scrutiny. Just accept that then we can move on...

ok - your ignorance has made me do this....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/European_P ... nstituency
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Constituency

And finally - taken from the European Parliament website:
    MEPs divide their time between their constituencies, Strasbourg - where 12 plenary sittings a year are held - and Brussels, where they attend additional plenary sittings, as well as committee and political group meetings.

You are of course welcome to call them electoral regions. But please don't tell me they are not 'constituencies'. Now move along....
  • drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    'Constituencies' seems like an appropriate term to use in this context. Irrespective, I think we all know what is meant so really no need to argue to point to death. The horse is dead, stop beating it.
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 26,969
    drlodge wrote:
    'Constituencies' seems like an appropriate term to use in this context. Irrespective, I think we all know what is meant so really no need to argue to point to death. The horse is dead, stop beating it.
    How else do we make it nice and tender a la Francais?
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,660
    drlodge wrote:

drlodge, mee Imposter...

:roll:
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • Jez mon
    Jez mon Posts: 3,809
    They are sort of doing what they were elected to do. Admittedly, in a rather rude and little Englander fashion.

It'll be interesting (possibly worrying) to see how UKIP do at the general election.
    You live and learn. At any rate, you live
  • imposter2.0
    Jez mon wrote:
    They are sort of doing what they were elected to do. Admittedly, in a rather rude and little Englander fashion.

Agreed. If they were trying to make a statement, they could have just remained seated while everyone else stood. To actually stand and turn their backs was - quite literally - ignorant.
  • Jez mon
    Jez mon Posts: 3,809
    Imposter wrote:
    Jez mon wrote:

Agreed. If they were trying to make a statement, they could have just remained seated while everyone else stood. To actually stand and turn their backs was - quite literally - ignorant.

Sure, and that's apparently what some Tories did. But ultimately, that doesn't make quite the same news article and UKIP seems to be all about drumming up press.
    You live and learn. At any rate, you live
  • tangled_metal
    tangled_metal Posts: 4,021
    Thing is though, turning your back on someone or something is a recognised form of protest. It's used elsewhere without the accusation of being ignorant or little Englander. Of course anything to do with UKIP engenders the view that any protest they do is based on prejudice. With some of them it is highly likely to be the case of course. Another view is that it's Europe, anything related to Europe is polarised. Your for or , rarely taking a compromise. Put two polarizing factors, UKIP and EU, no-one will agree. Heck there's even been an argument over constituencies or regions!
    My personal view is EU is not a nation so a national anthem, unofficial I should point out, should not exist. It is a provocative thing for anti-federalists and just plain anti's like UKIP.
  • imposter2.0
    Thing is though, turning your back on someone or something is a recognised form of protest. It's used elsewhere without the accusation of being ignorant or little Englander. .

Yes, but in that situation, they actually had to stand up before they could turn their backs. You're not wrong, but the simplest thing to do would have been to remain seated. Either that or they could have shouted down the orchestra with a rousing chorus of 'God save the Queen', whilst furiously waving the flag of St George...
  • florerider
    florerider Posts: 1,112
    If they do not want to take part then they should not have stood for election. They were elected to represent the interests of their constituents, not behave boorishly. If this is how English MEPs behave, then is it any wonder they do not win their case.

Would this be acceptable behaviour at the opening of the House of Commons? If not, then it is not acceptable elsewhere.
  • MattC59
    MattC59 Posts: 5,408
    It's quite simply childish behaviour and to me just reinforces why they shouldn't be given the time of day, let alone anyone's vote.
    Science adjusts it’s beliefs based on what’s observed.
    Faith is the denial of observation so that Belief can be preserved