Forum home Mountain biking forum MTB beginners

New Bike squeaky brake

BlueTaylorBlueTaylor Posts: 43
edited July 2014 in MTB beginners
I have just got the Boardman comp after coming downstairs this morning there was a little fluid on the floor. On inspection there was 2 Allen key nuts not fully tight on the side of my calliper. Tightened them up and went out on it this afternoon. On pulling the front brakes it now sounds awful like an elephant noise. What should I check or do?

Thanks

Posts

  • RockmonkeySCRockmonkeySC Posts: 15,247
    Any idea where the fluid came from? It's probably contaminated the brake pads.
  • BlueTaylorBlueTaylor Posts: 43
    Any idea where the fluid came from? It's probably contaminated the brake pads.

    I have no idea but there was a lot of fluid around the 2 nuts and was like a gunk and very greasy bottom of my calliper
  • cooldadcooldad Posts: 32,601
    Where they bolts holding the calliper together or fixing the calliper to the mount?

    If the former, probably fill, bleed and replace the pads. Or take it back and get Halfords to do it.
    I don't do smileys.

    There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

    London Calling on Facebook

    Parktools
  • BlueTaylorBlueTaylor Posts: 43
    cooldad wrote:
    Where they bolts holding the calliper together or fixing the calliper to the mount?

    If the former, probably fill, bleed and replace the pads. Or take it back and get Halfords to do it.

    Bolts holding calliper together. I've already had it there today with the care plan I got with the bike to be told that they don't touch hydraulic brakes with the plan I have and to try something called muc off...
  • IDaveIDave Posts: 223
    Never mind "Care plan" - they sold you a faulty or poorly assembled bike that could have been very dangerous. What if your brakes had failed out on the trail during a technical downhill section?!

    Go back and kick up a fuss and demand a full replacement brake system fitted for free.

    FYI the "Care plan" is a total rip off and not worth the paper it is written on.
  • cooldadcooldad Posts: 32,601
    Unless you were fiddling with them, they shouldn't come loose ever, especially not on a new bike, so they are talking cr4p. It's not a care plan (Don't care plan?) issue.
    But don't try and clean fluid off the pads, just buy new ones - a fiver from Superstar.
    And clean the rotor with isopropyl alcohol - cheap on Ebay - or it will just contaminate the new pads. Don't use Muc off or any sort of 'brake cleaner', they work on cars, which get hot and are far more powerful, but IMHO useless on bikes.

    But if fluid has come out, something must have got inside to take it's place, and that would probably be air.
    Does it feel a bit squidgy when you brake?
    If so a bleed is probably needed.
    I don't do smileys.

    There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

    London Calling on Facebook

    Parktools
  • cooldadcooldad Posts: 32,601
    ps nice bike, but brakes are a bit of a censored to bleed.
    I don't do smileys.

    There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

    London Calling on Facebook

    Parktools
  • BlueTaylorBlueTaylor Posts: 43
    IDave wrote:
    Never mind "Care plan" - they sold you a faulty or poorly assembled bike that could have been very dangerous. What if your brakes had failed out on the trail during a technical downhill section?!

    Go back and kick up a fuss and demand a full replacement brake system fitted for free.

    FYI the "Care plan" is a total rip off and not worth the paper it is written on.

    It was 1 of the first things I said about the "care plan" why on earth throw it in with the cost of the bike when really it isn't for this bike with hydraulics. I have emailed head office who have replied and said they will look in to this and keep in touch...
    cooldad wrote:
    Unless you were fiddling with them, they shouldn't come loose ever, especially not on a new bike, so they are talking cr4p. It's not a care plan (Don't care plan?) issue.
    But don't try and clean fluid off the pads, just buy new ones - a fiver from Superstar.
    And clean the rotor with isopropyl alcohol - cheap on Ebay - or it will just contaminate the new pads. Don't use Muc off or any sort of 'brake cleaner', they work on cars, which get hot and are far more powerful, but IMHO useless on bikes.

    But if fluid has come out, something must have got inside to take it's place, and that would probably be air.
    Does it feel a bit squidgy when you brake?
    If so a bleed is probably needed.

    Thank you for your help.

    I've not touched the brakes (wouldn't know where to start). Got the bike took it out for ride having to tighten up the handle bars as the wheel went 1 way and bars the other and that was that. Got it home, put the bike under the stairs and came down this morning to the findings. Tightened up the bolts with Allen key and went out on a ride. Back brake fine. Front a horrible quell every time. On way home called at halfords and I actually got the impression that they didn't care, but I walked out with a tin of it (not used yet) but I guess it's another thing I don't need now ha

    My brakes don't feel spongy, but there again I'm not sure...I wouldn't have a clue on where to start bleeding my bike
  • cooldadcooldad Posts: 32,601
    I would just replace the pads and clean the rotor. Easy enough and if it solves the problem, job done. Life's too short to stress about it. If not have another go at Halfords - bleeding is fairly easy but Avids can be a bit difficult.
    Sounds like the bike was set up badly - no excuse but it happens.

    Go over it and check every nut, bolt and anything else that might move.

    Parktools (link down there vvvvvvvv) is very useful.
    I don't do smileys.

    There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

    London Calling on Facebook

    Parktools
  • tangled_metaltangled_metal Posts: 4,021
    Sale of goods act IIRC means they have a legal responsibility to sort out faulty or dangerous goods. Google it so you know and quote it to the manager. Is really bad that a fault that happened so close to the purchase is not being sorted immediately, without any fuss. Don't Halfords offer a tighten up mini service a few weeks after purchase? Most bike shops tend to offer that service.
  • BlueTaylorBlueTaylor Posts: 43
    cooldad wrote:
    I would just replace the pads and clean the rotor. Easy enough and if it solves the problem, job done. Life's too short to stress about it. If not have another go at Halfords - bleeding is fairly easy but Avids can be a bit difficult.
    Sounds like the bike was set up badly - no excuse but it happens.

    Go over it and check every nut, bolt and anything else that might move.

    Parktools (link down there vvvvvvvv) is very useful.

    Thank you again. Where would I find replacement brakes from? I take it there easy enough for a guy like me to replace? Ha will order some of that alcohol stuff off eBay now. I think it was set up badly, when I picked up the bike it they were just finishing it off and it was some guy who looked like he had just finished school (although probably knows a lot more than me)
    Sale of goods act IIRC means they have a legal responsibility to sort out faulty or dangerous goods. Google it so you know and quote it to the manager. Is really bad that a fault that happened so close to the purchase is not being sorted immediately, without any fuss. Don't Halfords offer a tighten up mini service a few weeks after purchase? Most bike shops tend to offer that service.

    Yes they offer the mini service thing in the first 6 weeks of purchase, although I was half way down a trail and luckily enough had a set of keys in my rucksack so made sure I checked everything else as well before carrying on. I don't think it helped me taking my bike in filthy lol but it's more annoying that a 12 month service thing was thrown in with the bike to get told that this doesn't cover hydraulic brakes so we can't touch it on that, we can do, but it's going to cost...
  • cooldadcooldad Posts: 32,601
    Pads
    http://www.superstarcomponents.com/en/

    Not sure which though they have a pad identifier.
    I don't do smileys.

    There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

    London Calling on Facebook

    Parktools
  • kajjalkajjal Posts: 3,380
    Sale of goods act IIRC means they have a legal responsibility to sort out faulty or dangerous goods. Google it so you know and quote it to the manager. Is really bad that a fault that happened so close to the purchase is not being sorted immediately, without any fuss. Don't Halfords offer a tighten up mini service a few weeks after purchase? Most bike shops tend to offer that service.

    This is correct, don't make any changes and explain they need to fix it as the bike is not fit for purpose. Be firm and friendly though.
  • Gibbo3771Gibbo3771 Posts: 145
    I don't know why anyone is suggested to clean, replace or bleed anything. It's a brand new bike.

    Take it back to the shop, ask for the manager( You can either be super friendly or a super censored , I prefer the latter). Don't leave until you either A. Have a full refund or B. A new bike.

    Also the handlebars were loose first ride? Sounds like it was built by an utter fuckwit.

    Take it back, take the brake cleaner back as well. In future, don't take out any care plans. Stick with the manufacturer warranty and for repairs, visit your local independent bike shop.
  • cooldadcooldad Posts: 32,601
    Gibbo3771 wrote:
    I don't know why anyone is suggested to clean, replace or bleed anything. It's a brand new bike.

    Take it back to the shop, ask for the manager( You can either be super friendly or a super censored , I prefer the latter). Don't leave until you either A. Have a full refund or B. A new bike.

    Also the handlebars were loose first ride? Sounds like it was built by an utter fuckwit.

    Take it back, take the brake cleaner back as well. In future, don't take out any care plans. Stick with the manufacturer warranty and for repairs, visit your local independent bike shop.
    Because
    cooldad wrote:
    I would just replace the pads and clean the rotor. Easy enough and if it solves the problem, job done. Life's too short to stress about it.

    Easier and quicker than a round trip to Halfords, especially if the same idiot 'fixes' it.
    I don't do smileys.

    There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

    London Calling on Facebook

    Parktools
  • Gibbo3771Gibbo3771 Posts: 145
    cooldad wrote:
    Gibbo3771 wrote:
    I don't know why anyone is suggested to clean, replace or bleed anything. It's a brand new bike.

    Take it back to the shop, ask for the manager( You can either be super friendly or a super censored , I prefer the latter). Don't leave until you either A. Have a full refund or B. A new bike.

    Also the handlebars were loose first ride? Sounds like it was built by an utter fuckwit.

    Take it back, take the brake cleaner back as well. In future, don't take out any care plans. Stick with the manufacturer warranty and for repairs, visit your local independent bike shop.
    Because
    cooldad wrote:
    I would just replace the pads and clean the rotor. Easy enough and if it solves the problem, job done. Life's too short to stress about it.

    Easier and quicker than a round trip to Halfords, especially if the same idiot 'fixes' it.

    Get it in a box and pay the LBS to put it together? Better to pay a little extra and have it done right imo.

    I don't really see how the brake came apart like that in the first place, either it was just bad luck or someone messed with it.
  • cooldadcooldad Posts: 32,601
    Assuming the LBS is any better.
    Or just DIY - sooner or later you have to, or other bits start falling off.
    I don't do smileys.

    There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

    London Calling on Facebook

    Parktools
Sign In or Register to comment.