The Paris Roubaix Vial

tailwindhome
tailwindhome Posts: 19,310
edited July 2014 in Pro race
The report states that “it has been possible to highlight the presence of ibuprofen, caffeine, theophylline and quinine” in the white powder contained in this vial. It goes onto state that “None of those substances is part of the WADA prohibited list”, and concludes by saying that “no doping substance could be detected in the white powder transferred by the UCI”.

http://www.uci.ch/Modules/ENews/ENewsDe ... LangId%3D1

So ready to go into water for a 'finishing bottle'?
“New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!

Comments

• The_Boy
    The_Boy Posts: 3,099
    Assuming it's legit, sounds like it would just be a wee pick me up for later stages of the race. Can't see any references to amounts of active ingredients, but not all that much different to the sugar 'pills' HTC use to use, is it?
    Team My Man 2018: David gaudu, Pierre Latour, Romain Bardet, Thibaut pinot, Alexandre Geniez, Florian Senechal, Warren Barguil, Benoit Cosnefroy
  • above_the_cows
    above_the_cows Posts: 11,406
    Or Froome's double espresso.
    Correlation is not causation.
  • The_Boy

He did he avoid spilling it until the end of the race?
    Team My Man 2018: David gaudu, Pierre Latour, Romain Bardet, Thibaut pinot, Alexandre Geniez, Florian Senechal, Warren Barguil, Benoit Cosnefroy
  • above_the_cows
    The_Boy wrote:

Why do you think he keeps looking down?
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 14,538
    The_Boy wrote:

Checking the crema.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,661
    s'not great is it, but it's refreshingly pathetically old school and once again it's reassuring to A) be told what was in it and B) know it wasn't drugs

Again if this is the sort of thing riders are doing then we re doing a lot better
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • deejay
    deejay Posts: 3,138
    ddraver wrote:
    s'not great is it, but it's refreshingly pathetically old school and once again it's reassuring to A) be told what was in it and B) know it wasn't drugs

Again if this is the sort of thing riders are doing then we re doing a lot better
    So that means BR posters will have to carry on with asthma spray's. ?
    Well they are sure there is something for them to find.
    Organiser, National Championship 50 mile Time Trial 1972
  • DiscoBoy
    DiscoBoy Posts: 905
    I'm surprised that Theophylline isn't banned, it is a prescription drug in the US and UK.
    Red bikes are the fastest.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,163
    DiscoBoy wrote:
    I'm surprised that Theophylline isn't banned, it is a prescription drug in the US and UK.

Presumably WADA only care if a drug is performance enhancing.
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,310
    Pross wrote:
    DiscoBoy wrote:

If it's nay performance enhancing, what's it doing in the vial? :wink:
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    Pross wrote:
    DiscoBoy wrote:

Cocaine isn't banned out of competition after all.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • The_Boy
    Pross wrote:
    DiscoBoy wrote:

If it's nay performance enhancing, what's it doing in the vial? :wink:

Masking agent for blood transfusions, obvs. ;)
  • The_Boy
    The_Boy wrote:

Balanced under his helmet? I may have to change my opinion on this white Kenyan of yours...
  • Mad_Malx
    Mad_Malx Posts: 5,160
    DiscoBoy wrote:

It's all about dose - (very) small amounts in tea and dark chocolate. Difficult to legislate against low levels, compared with clenbuterol, which is much less likely to be in european food.

Chemically and pharmacologically theophyline is similar to caffeine, for which there is much better evidence as a performance enhancer than ventolin.
  • above_the_cows
    The_Boy wrote:
    Balanced under his helmet? I may have to change my opinion on this white Kenyan of yours...

Why is Chris Froome mine? I don't think he belongs to anyone but himself.
  • The_Boy
    The_Boy wrote:

Why is Chris Froome mine? I don't think he belongs to anyone but himself.

It was very much a tongue in cheek riff on Frenchie's use of the phrase "my man". I wouldn't have used the phrase "white Kenyan" in any serious context.

Apologies. :)
  • above_the_cows
    ^Ah OK. :)