climbing MT Teide from Los Criatianos

wellerpaul
wellerpaul Posts: 3
edited February 2015 in Tour & expedition
looking for advice on topic above heading to Tenerife on 17th July,its my first time trying this climb never really cycled on holidays before.Can someone advise on food ,water,gels, the best gear ratio and best route from LosCristianos.I cycle approx 170klm a week averaging ~30klm ph over 2 spins,i'm not the best climber but i will suffer well,i dont mind the hardship but i dont want to kill myself by picking the wrong gear and route....any advice appreciated :D

Comments

• ai_1
    ai_1 Posts: 3,060
    I've climbed El Teide twice from El Medano. The upper section from Vilaflor will be the same route regardless. The lower section will be different. You could take a long approach by heading east to Granadilla first and then turning more directly up the mountain or go straight up via Arona. My route was from El Medano through San Isidro, Granadilla and Vilaflor.

From El Medano it's a 35km climb averaging about 6.5% if I remember correctly and with the steepest sections just below Granadilla and above Vilaflor being about 11%. I'm not a great climber either but on a long climb like this once you've got the gears you'll probably find a rhythm you can hold and just slog away. I enjoyed it both times in a masochistic sort of way!
    Gearing will depend on your fitness, riding style, weight, etc. I used a 50/34 compact and 11-28 cassette. I used that 28 sprocket quite a bit and personally wouldn't try this climb with less. The upper section of the descent is great fun. The road surface is good and but there's lots of turns so you will want good brakes. Lower down the surface is more mixed.

I just brought 4 or 5 cereal bars and 2x700ml water bottles. You can stop and buy more water en route. There's a place on the left in the middle of Vilaflor where I stopped for a coffee and topped up my water. There's nowhere to fill up once you leave Vilaflor and the gradient gets punishing for a while so it's a good place to stop if you plan to take a break.

I hired a bike from Bike Point in El Medano both times and was very happy with them. They also have a shop in Los Americas which would be closer to you.
    http://www.bikepointtenerife.com/?gclid ... NRdpPD_BwE

Have fun!
  • Grifteruk
    Grifteruk Posts: 244
    I echo a lot of the above, having done this twice in May 2014. the ride out of town at the base is a busy one and there are various different ways to get to Villaflor before the road is one shot to the crater edge before dropping into the crater itself if you want to.

Get yourself ready for a climb for over 2.5 hours and depending upon ability 3 hours or longer. Having said that I did not find the gradient too challenging and there are flat sections depending on the route which you take. I went up to Grandilla and then on to Villaflor and after Grandilla the gradient was not difficult at between 3% to 7%. For me the hardest section was after Villaflor and the last few KM to the top, oxygen gets thinner up there combined with the steeper gradient.

Enjoy it tho it was a good day out and I even got to see Froome and Porte at the top of the volcano!
  • ai_1
    Grifteruk wrote:
    .....Having said that I did not find the gradient too challenging and there are flat sections depending on the route which you take. I went up to Grandilla and then on to Villaflor and after Grandilla the gradient was not difficult at between 3% to 7%. For me the hardest section was after Villaflor and the last few KM to the top, oxygen gets thinner up there combined with the steeper gradient.

Enjoy it tho it was a good day out and I even got to see Froome and Porte at the top of the volcano!
    There's no actual flat sections, at least not on the route I took. There are a couple of false flats that still climb at 2% or more but feel flat because you've been climbing continually. There wasn't a single level or descending stretch in the data I recorded! You are right though, it's very do-able and the hardest pieces are exactly as you said - just above Vilaflor and the last couple of km.

First time, I passed a big group of Sky riders and a team car going the other way when I was descending. I was doing 50km/h+ so couldn't get a proper look. I think I saw Ian Stannard but not sure about the rest.
  • Thanks for the replies all,i'm definately going to climb 2 different routes and hopefully a trip around the flat part of the Island.Glad to hear 2 fulls bottles of water and a few gels will get ya to the top with out refuelling.Whats the steepest % on the climb,we have a famous hill where i live called SESKIN HILL goes up to 27% in one place, but short ,been doing a bit of training on that to prepare.
  • ai_1
    wellerpaul wrote:
    Thanks for the replies all,i'm definitely going to climb 2 different routes and hopefully a trip around the flat part of the Island.Glad to hear 2 fulls bottles of water and a few gels will get ya to the top with out refuelling.Whats the steepest % on the climb,we have a famous hill where i live called SESKIN HILL goes up to 27% in one place, but short ,been doing a bit of training on that to prepare.
    There's nothing as steep as Seskin. Max gradient is about 11%. Tickincore is probably a better practice route. It's around 8-12% for about 3km if I remember correctly. (Not sure I have the spelling right but this is the climb that starts just a few km SE of Clonmel not far from the Bulmers brewery over the river.

2 bottles is unlikely to be enough to get you up Teide without refills
  • fatsmoker
    fatsmoker Posts: 585
    I drove up it in April and thoroughly enjoyed it. Every cyclist we passed I had the kids shouting 'chapeau'. You'll probably find a few others to share your pain with on the way up. Check your brakes before you come down again.
  • Tjgoodhew
    Tjgoodhew Posts: 628
    Let me know how you get on - i am out there over Xmas and am likely to have three days cycling so will be looking at doing the climb at least twice
    Cannondale Caad8
    Canyon Aeroad 8.0

http://www.strava.com/athletes/goodhewt
  • There is an easier (but longer) way up via Chio.
    I did this last year and then descended via Villaflor.
    Refilled bottles at Chio and stopped for coffee at the Cable Car cafe.

Route here....
    http://www.strava.com/segments/5896721

Also recommend taking the ferry to La Gomera for a great climb...

Here.....
    http://www.strava.com/segments/2075819?filter=overall
    "You really think you can burn off sugar with exercise?" downhill paul
  • SFT
    SFT Posts: 156
    Charlie, what was the road surface like up from Chio? I would like to do this route in October but I had heard that the road was bad and the return descent would be tricky.

Thanks
    Simon
  • Tjgoodhew
    Thats interesting to know. Im staying on the coast up near Chio so was going to ascend from El Medano via villafor where i pick up my hire bike and then descend through Chio and then do the reverse of this when i return the bike.

So also interested in the surface on the Chio route
    Cannondale Caad8
    Canyon Aeroad 8.0

• When I was there last November they were resurfacing the road. They were about halfway between Chio and the top so I assume that they have finished it by now :D . There were a couple of rough bits that they hadn't got to yet but no problem for me after riding Essex roads. I only encountered about half a dozen cars between Chio and the junction with TF21. The gradient is such that it is easy to find a rhythm and the scenery is tops. The climb does lack the switchbacks found on the Villaflor side though.

Don't ignore La Gomera. If you get the chance you won't regret it :wink:
  • durhamwasp
    durhamwasp Posts: 1,247
    What was the weather like in November? Looking online it seems Tenerife is about 21c at sea level but can't find anything for Teide, i'm guessing it gets right down towards zero at the top? (Ventoux a few weeks back was 32 in Bedoin and 6 at the top.

Fancying it mid-November. Obviously do some flatter rides out too.
    http://www.snookcycling.wordpress.com - Reports on Cingles du Mont Ventoux, Alpe D'Huez, Galibier, Izoard, Tourmalet, Paris-Roubaix Sportive & Tour of Flanders Sportive, Amstel Gold Xperience, Vosges, C2C, WOTR routes....
  • durhamwasp wrote:
    What was the weather like in November?

It was about 15c midday at the cable car. I was lucky with no cloud and just the occasional gusts of wind.
    I rode up in summer gear and wore a rain jacket for the first part of the descent.
  • durhamwasp
    durhamwasp Posts: 1,247
    wow! much better than I thought!
    http://www.snookcycling.wordpress.com - Reports on Cingles du Mont Ventoux, Alpe D'Huez, Galibier, Izoard, Tourmalet, Paris-Roubaix Sportive & Tour of Flanders Sportive, Amstel Gold Xperience, Vosges, C2C, WOTR routes....
  • ai_1
    When I did it in mid November it was about 24°C at sea level. I expected it cold at the ridge but it only felt a few degrees cooler.
  • slunker
    slunker Posts: 346
    Been 3 times in early March.......twice it was about 15-20 degrees at the top and the other the snow gates were shut half way up as there was a blizzard!!! Like any mountainous terrain the weather is very changable.
  • peteco
    peteco Posts: 184
    Just thought I would add to this.

I hired a bike from Bike Point in Playa de las Americas whilst on a family holiday in late October this year. It had pretty standard compact gearing.

I cycled from Las Americas to the top of the crater rim at El Retamar (2100m high). As has been said elsewhere, once you start climbing it does not relent - there are no flats or slight downhills. It took me about 3hrs 20mins to get there (nothing special) and about 45 mins to get back down.

Took plenty of water, and stopped at a shop to top up at Vilaflor. I also took a banana and a Clif bar on top of a decent breakfast. It was a bit fresh at El Retamar compared to the 80 deg F at sea level, and you certainly need a windproof top for the descent.

Despite the fact that it was a relentless climb, I really enjoyed it, and did not find it that difficult.

Would do it again if we were on the island in the future.

Pete
  • Thanks Pete,

11 days till i take it on. Just hope the weather holds up. Current forecast is showing 20 degrees at sea level but as cold as 5 degrees at 2000m and -6 at the summit of Teide !!

Just trying to work out what to wear as i will be hot at sea level but a fast descent at 6 degrees will be freezing !!!
    Cannondale Caad8
    Canyon Aeroad 8.0

• ai_1
    Tjgoodhew wrote:
    Thanks Pete,

11 days till i take it on. Just hope the weather holds up. Current forecast is showing 20 degrees at sea level but as cold as 5 degrees at 2000m and -6 at the summit of Teide !!

Just trying to work out what to wear as i will be hot at sea level but a fast descent at 6 degrees will be freezing !!!
    Armwarmers and a windstopper gilet stuffed in a pocket until needed would be my choice. I did it in mid-November last year when it was something like 22-23C at sea level and it really didn't feel all that much cooler at El Retamar (the top of the climb at 2100m). I brought arm warmers for the descent which made it very comfortable but I probably could have managed without them. Bear in mind you'll be working fairly hard at low speed on the way up so you won't get too cold and you can descend pretty quickly so probably 20mins or so to get half way back to sea level by which time the temperature will be perfectly comfortable again.

The peak of El Teide which is only accessible via cable car is something like 3700m so I wouldn't worry about the temperature there!
  • Kangars
    Kangars Posts: 34
    We are going there next week and planning to do the climb. Quite worried about it, wont lie. Havent done climb this big before, bit of a cycling amateur: daily commute and weekend rides!

We will be leaving from las americanos so will be taking TF-51 and TF-21 all the way up.Not doing a race so planning few stops, Arona and Vilaflor on the cards. Thinking about coming back by a different route, follow TF-21 all the way where it meets TF-28 and back to Las Americanos. Excited but worried at the same time
  • Tjgoodhew
    Iv just got back and the climb was both amazing and pretty brutal.

I found it fine up to Vilafor. Its never too steep and you can get into a nice rhythm and just keep pedalling.

After vilafor is when it gets a bit harder as the gradient ramps up and you are already tired after the previous 15 miles climbing.

Just take your time, make sure you stop to take in the views and be prepared for a good 3-4 hours of work.

The relief when you see the top is worth all the pain going up
    Cannondale Caad8
    Canyon Aeroad 8.0

• ai_1
    Tjgoodhew wrote:
    Iv just got back and the climb was both amazing and pretty brutal.

I found it fine up to Vilafor. Its never too steep and you can get into a nice rhythm and just keep pedalling.

After vilafor is when it gets a bit harder as the gradient ramps up and you are already tired after the previous 15 miles climbing.

Just take your time, make sure you stop to take in the views and be prepared for a good 3-4 hours of work.

The relief when you see the top is worth all the pain going up
    Agreed, above Vilafor is the tough section. There are long stretches averaging around 9-10% gradient which is noticeably tougher than most of the lower sections. Also the altitude may make a difference although I didn't notice anything obvious. Just make sure you have a bike with a decent gear range and get into a steady rhythm and keep moving. Don't try and do it fast. Just try and keep moving.

I wasn't at all sure I was up to it the first time I did it. So, I planned to go as far as Vilaflor and said I'd decide when I got there whether to continue or be satisfied with Vilafor. I think it's a wise approach if you're not sure. It's still a good climb and a satisfying accomplishment but if you're in half decent shape you'll probably find it impossible to resist continuing on to the top.As it worked out I got on better than I expected and felt pretty confident setting out from Vilafor. That last section hurt me but I got there. I found that a really long continuous climb is not as horrific as I thought I might find it so long as you can find a rhythm and you take it easy.
    Second time I did the climb on a later trip I had no doubts about reaching the top, but if it's a venture into the unknown, give yourself an interim goal and make the top your stretch goal.
  • Kangars
    Nice! We will be taking our time :) Not in a rush, leaving at 8am so hoping to get to the top by 12-1.

Also we are planning some hotel as our final destination on the top (Parador de Canadas Del Teide), is that reasonable? any point going futher or maybe stop before it?

Got to think about that nice descent on the way back!
  • Kangars wrote:
    any point going futher or maybe stop before it?

Yeah! You should do the last little climb to the Cable Car. There is a Cafe there and you can bask in glory as all the fat tourists look at you in bemused amazement 8)
  • Kangars
    Kangars wrote:

Yeah! You should do the last little climb to the Cable Car. There is a Cafe there and you can bask in glory as all the fat tourists look at you in bemused amazement 8)

Haha! Look glorious in lycra at the top of the volvano!

Is cable car located at Tienda Casa de los Balcones? Is they have a cafe its all good, coz i will want a nice piece of cake once we get there!
  • Kangars wrote:
    Kangars wrote:

Haha! Look glorious in lycra at the top of the volvano!

Is cable car located at Tienda Casa de los Balcones? Is they have a cafe its all good, coz i will want a nice piece of cake once we get there!

Just stay on TF21 and you won't miss it. Cake and coffee is okay. You'll need the cake for the last effort to climb out of the old crater before the descent.
  • ai_1
    Kangars wrote:
    Nice! We will be taking our time :) Not in a rush, leaving at 8am so hoping to get to the top by 12-1.

Also we are planning some hotel as our final destination on the top (Parador de Canadas Del Teide), is that reasonable? any point going futher or maybe stop before it?
    faq.php?mode=bbcode
    Got to think about that nice descent on the way back!
    Mount Teide consists of a huge caldera with a big flattish expanse inside and then a newer cone rising from this up to the peak at about 3700m if I remember correctly. The road up from Vilafor peaks at an altitude marker for 2100m at "El Ritamar" if memory serves. This is the high point on the road before it descends into the caldera on the way to the hotel and then the cable car. I'm not sure how high the cable car station is but I doubt it's much higher than the ridge. It may even be lower. I finished at the ridge at El Ritamar both times I did the climb. You certainly could continue on to the hotel or even the cable car but if you've found the climb tough you might not fancy it. Especially as it will mean another couple of hundred metres ascent back to the ridge on your way back before the big descent. Take a look at the profile on google earth or a contour map and you'll get a good idea what you'll find.
    I drove to the cable car and took it to the summit the day before I did the ride. May have been a bad idea as it felt like a mighty long/steep road in the car but as I said earlier I was happily surprised to get through it pretty well.
  • The cable car is at 2340 mtrs according to Strava.

My OCD wouldn't allow me to miss the final part of the climb.
  • Kangars
    Thanks for the info. Thats what i am thinking, if we are already up there, we would try and reach cable cars. Guess i will need to take few gels with me! Sounds like its not that bad up to Vilaflor but last 6-7 miles are torture!
  • ai_1
    Kangars wrote:
    Thanks for the info. Thats what i am thinking, if we are already up there, we would try and reach cable cars. Guess i will need to take few gels with me! Sounds like its not that bad up to Vilaflor but last 6-7 miles are torture!
    Once you reach the ridge you should certainly have no real difficulty reaching the cable car. I only drove it but as I remember it's downhill into the caldera and then relatively flat roadway for a while before a bit of uphill to the cable car. The return trip would be similar: descent from the cable car, flattish towards the ridge and then some climbing back to the top of the initial main climb....then downhill all the way home.