Trouble removing bearing from Easton Accent ii

Bikergroves
Bikergroves Posts: 18
edited July 2014 in Workshop
Hello

I was hoping someone might be able to give me some advice on how to remove a cartridge bearing from the axle of a set of Easton accent wheels I recently picked up on eBay. The problem relates specifically to the rear wheel.

I want to replace all three bearings however i've only managed to dislodge one, on the non drive-side of the rear hub. The axle came out with a bit of force ( and has taken the freehub body with it) but the bearing, as shown in the picture attached, is stuck on the axle and I think therefore stopping me from removing the bearing that sits on the outside of the freehub body.

Is there an easy way, without investing in a bearing puller, of removing the two bearings and completing the job?

I've had a look on Eastons website can't make much sense of the document.

Any info would be much appreciated.

( Please note, I've taken the rubber seals off both bearings left on the axle)

IMG_20140701_065840223_zps742fe390.jpg

IMG_20140701_065830743_zpsb6517ad6.jpg
IMG_20140701_065815771_zps1b428a34.jpg
Capture_zps6d4b6f89.png

Comments

• arlowood
    arlowood Posts: 2,561
    From the exploded diagram it looks like you should be able to drift the axle out from both the freehub and the stuck hub bearing.

If you can support the stuck bearing on something with a hole in it to allow the axle to drop through then apply a piece of dowel or a socket head the same diameter or slightly less to the axle at the freehub end then do a bit of careful malleting. Hopefully the axle will eventually be driven out leaving you with the separated hub and bearing.
  • Thanks for your response.

That makes perfect sense! I'll give it a try this evening a report back with my success or not.
  • frisbee
    frisbee Posts: 691
    You've taken the fixing nut (item 8 ) off?
  • Arlowood was spot on. Not the easiest of hubs to service but I've managed to remove all the bearings. I now need to find out why the 6902 bearings I purchased arent going onto the freehub body. Its almost as if they are a few mm larger than the ones I am replacing.

Any ideas?