RP2 replacement

.blitz
.blitz Posts: 6,197
edited July 2014 in MTB buying advice
Hello folks. My '08 Rize still has its original RP2 shock. The shock has been serviced intermittently and while there's nothing actually wrong with it I would like to swap it for something better

There are a couple of problems I'd like to fix but I'm not sure whether they are down to the shock or the frame or the way I ride.

Biggest issue is a tendency for the shock to squat on technical climbs. The shock compresses more than it rebounds. The thing is, if I ease off for a moment the shock extends as expected - as if the pedalling is winding it up but only on technical stuff on fireroads it's fine. Have tried various rebound and air settings and they have some effect but cause problems elsewhere

The other problem is the shock's inability to be supple without blowing through its travel. I run it on the firm side to stop it winding up on the climbs and although this is OK for larger obstacles it makes the shock chatter on smaller stuff.

Otherwise it's OK. It doesn't bob (I rarely use the Propedal) and when it's into its travel on undulating ground it's actually pretty good.

Just wondered if there was something else out there that would be more refined or more tuneable? Preferably without on-the-fly adjusters

Cheers

Comments