Commuting with a bad cold

tangled_metal
tangled_metal Posts: 4,021
edited July 2014 in Commuting general
As a new commuter I am trying to do all my commutes by bike. If i miss any day it is more likely I'll drop out of cycle commuting.

With that in mind what do you guys do when you are full of a horrendous cold? Talking aches, bad coughs, sore throats, sinus issues and congestion. I'm still riding in about 8 miles each way in 30 minutes on a hybrid bike. Not that far or fast but for me it is energetic. I'm also a hayfever sufferer which doesn't help one bit. The trouble is the cycle in and out are the only times I feel ok. I guess that is the endorphin's from the exercise. It is later on that I dip badly, bad cough that lasts a minute shortly after stopping riding. I can use the car 2 or 3 days a week or take the train in and walk 10 minutes into work, but I just don't want to unless absolutely necessary.

The question is am I prolonging the cold? Should I take another way in until it is over? What do you guys do? Any input would be gratefully received.

Comments

• SlipSpace
    SlipSpace Posts: 46
    I tend to ride through mine tbh. All the sweating and snotting on the bike seems to make it last less time than if I use the car or sit at home. YMMV
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Ride through them, back off a few percent so you don't wipe yourself out - it only adds about 5% to your journey time but leaves you in a much better state, but yes if you have a cough you'll be having a good hack after you arrive.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • t4tomo
    t4tomo Posts: 2,643
    yes man up and ride in (unless its appalling weather which is likely to you do more harm than good).

I did a 100 miler last month with the tail end of a coughing virus and hay fever.

What doesn't kill you makes you stronger and all that.
    Bianchi Infinito CV
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Ultegra
    Brompton S Type
    Carrera Vengeance Ultimate Ltd
    Gary Fisher Aquila '98
    Front half of a Viking Saratoga Tandem
  • tangled_metal
    In that case I will continue to man up and ride in. I usually do man up but never commuted by bike with a cold so was curious.
    Last time I truly manned up with a cold was a 50 miler walk with a perforated ear drum, inability to hold down much food and a few days before the tendency to just collapse without warning even when sitting down in cafe with a nice mug of coffee. Hate when a cold stops me doing stuff. I'll stop riding in if I start collapsing but until then I will man up.

Good advice about backing off a bit. Now how do I do that? First time I see someone turn in just ahead of me and I'm racing again!!!
  • POHB
    POHB Posts: 40
    I recently read some advice that you should continue to ride if the symptoms are from the neck up, take it easy if they're below the neck. I.e. heavy exercise with a rattly chesty cough might not be a good idea but don't worry about tickly coughs and snot.

Anyway it's very antisocial to spread your germs around on public transport.
  • tangled_metal
    It was a nasty one that was all over from chest up. Yesterday I was close to booking gp. I've never been diagnosed asthmatic but my partner used to be and has an inhaler after a bad cold left her with it again and a chest infection. She tried to get me to use it last night I was so bad with the breathing. Car today and much better. I don't think bike was a good idea tbh.
    Anti-social on public transport but also at work. Will wait and see how many get it too. :)
  • eltonioni
    eltonioni Posts: 82
    If you genuinely need med's you should already know the answer, but the Neck Test is always my go/no-go for any proper exercise. What you really don't want is strain on your heart no matter what those pesky endorphins are telling you.
  • tangled_metal
    Week after it finished and I'm still clearing the system out. Sinus, etc.
    I ended up in the car. Still got the chest rattle going on but my gentle ride in and out is helping. I get a clear chest for a few hours afterwards. Do not ride with a full cold that runs through from chest to head. It only makes for a longer spell with it. Man up and accept your cold.
  • Initialised
    Initialised Posts: 3,047
    No, keep going but use a heart rate monitor and keep the BPMs low, for me this usually means not going over 140BPM on the climbs and mainly just ticking over at 125BPM.
    I used to just ride my bike to work but now I find myself going out looking for bigger and bigger hills.