Road Bike Newbie......

Rhino.
Rhino. Posts: 17
edited July 2014 in Road beginners
Hiya guys,

Thought I would sign up on here and see if I can find out some stuff. I'm about to get my second bike using the Cycle 2 Work scheme my employer utilises, to which I have just sent off my application forms.

I'm quite overweight and a big guy, and I am hoping the commute to work will help me burn the calories and not the money in getting to work and back (it's about a 6 mile round trip).

I have opted to stay within my budget and I am looking at the Giant Defy 4 2014. Can anyone give me any pointers on weather or not this is a decent enough bike to get me started on road cycling?

I am also wondering what pedals (if any) will come with the bike itself, and what clothing/bits will I need to start off with?

Now there is just the choice of colours, white with lime green or the blue...mmmmmm 8)

2014_Giant_Defy_4_white.jpg
2014_Giant_Defy_4_blue.jpg

Anyhow I will have a look around on here.

Cheers :)
2014 Giant Defy 4 (as soon as it comes in!)

Comments

• crescent
    crescent Posts: 1,201
    Giant are definitely decent bikes, I've never owned one myself but big brands like Giant, Trek, Specialized etc all offer good quality products and are a solid choice as a first bike and all the components on this model are typical of the standard found on an entry level 'serious' bike. It is an aluminium frame so your weight shouldn't really be an issue for it, some carbon bikes have fairly low weight limits on them. Cycling specific clothes aren't essential but will make you much more comfortable and add to the enjoyment so it is worth keeping a bit of your budget aside for them. Generally a decent pair of padded shorts, a base layer, cycling jersey, jacket etc should be on your list. Consider a pair of fingerless mitts for summer and a pair of gloves for cooler weather. Also, if you're planning to commute come rain or shine then a decent set of waterproof leggings and jacket are worthwhile. A helmet too, obviously. Above a certain price point bikes often come without pedals because there are several clipless systems on the go and most 'serious' riders will have their own preference as to which ones they will use. More often than not, entry level bikes will come with some form of flat pedal, maybe with clips and toe straps. These will be fine to start with and it is up to you when and if you feel confident enough to go clipless.
    As for the colour? Only you can decide.
    Cycling is a wonderful hobby - enjoy :D
    Bianchi ImpulsoBMC Teammachine SLR02 01Trek Domane AL3“When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race. “ ~H.G. Wells Edit - "Unless it's a BMX"
  • I got into it with a mountain bike last year and bought a road bike through c2w in April. My commute is 51 mile round trip. I was driving half way then cycling the rest making it 18 mile a day (not every day) but since getting a road bike I am doing around 75 miles a week driving to work with my bike in the boot and then riding home and back in the next day a few times a week. We have 2 cars so no an issue if mine is left at work.

Anyway, I am a heavy cyclist but it's coming down now. The only advise I would give is to get wheels with a high spoke count and invest in cycling cloth. Bib shorts are a must or the world will see most of your ass by the time you leave the car park.
  • navrig2
    navrig2 Posts: 1,844
    At the risk of being shouted down perhaps you should consider if a road bike is the best option.

6 miles round trip is not very far (I know it is all relative to the individual) and therefore the amount of exercise you will get will be limited unless you are very sure you will use it for other rides.

A road bike generally has a very particular riding position which many find they take time to get used to. A 3 mile ride is not a long ride in which to get used to a riding position.

Therefore consider either a hybrid or a MTB. They have a more upright position and are a bit heavier meaning you'll expend more energy in your 6 miles.

If you are adamant that you want a road bike then spend some time checking you order the right size and consider getting one which is described as having a more relaxed geometry (that is you sit up a little bit more than the race bikes).

Pedals - it wont come with any so consider flats (not so good)m flats with cages and straps - bit better or one of the several clip in versions. If you have to walk ant sort of distance then I would suggest you get SPD pedals suitable for MTBs. Shimano do several such as these: http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/shim ... lsrc=aw.ds

Youll need need suitable shoes (buy from a bike shop ot on line) but the cleats for these pedals are recessed and walking is alot easier.

Other than than its clothing for comfort and practicality - shorts and jerseys. Your intended mileage will dictate how much you need comfort and what you are willing to spend.

Colour - lime green for me.
  • ElliesDad
    ElliesDad Posts: 245
    I've just got into road biking after a couple of years on a mountain bike which I still have for off road forays.

Last week I got the Giant Defy 2 on the C2W scheme, it's a great bike and is the same bike as the Defy 4 but with Tiagra group set instead of the Claris as you get with the Defy 4. Done about 50 miles since I got it, really comfortable which came as a surprise after the MTB with full suspension.

I also got some Specialized SPD shoes and Shimano M530 SPD pedals (added to the C2W voucher so get the savings on these too), it's my first time clipless and they are really easy to use, so much so I've just got a second set for the MTB. Gel shorts are also a must.
    2012 Boardman FS Team
    2014 Giant Defy 2
  • navrig2
    navrig2 Posts: 1,844
    ElliesDad wrote:
    . Gel shorts are also a must.

Bib shorts are more comfy but less convenient for getting changed after a commute (or stopping for a pee).
  • Rhino.
    Thankyou for all the replies so far folks.

I intend to ride more than just my commute to work (which I have realised is actually 4.8 miles each way instead of the 3 I suggested). I'd like to do alot of rides aside from the commute and I am just waiting for my C2W voucher :)
  • A warning, it becomes an obsession!
  • Rhino.
    A warning, it becomes an obsession!

If it helps me shift some of this "untrained muscle", I'm all for it :)
  • HebdenBiker
    HebdenBiker Posts: 787
    Shorts, jersey, mitts, tool kit (multi tool, tyre levers, pump, spare tube). You could go with MTB pedals, but if you intend getting into road biking, I would get proper road pedals and shoes. Yes they are unsuitable for walking in, and overkill for a 6 mile commute, but once you get to work and park your bike, you can go barefoot (I do) or else stick a pair of flip flops in your jersey pocket to slip on when you get to work.

For road pedals and shoes, the most popular brands with entry-level options are Look, Time and Shimano SPD-SL range.
  • Rhino.
    Had a good day today at work, used Strava for the first time and cycled 16 miles as part of my shift, with all the kit including body armour I can tell you in the temperatures today, it was toasty!

I also bagged myself a couple of MuddyFox cycle tops to get me started:

AC2F4AC3-4163-4324-960D-19434EEB4E65_zpstew8zwsv.jpg

Also, my Cycle 2 Work certificate has come through the post :lol: Only problem is I contacted my chosen bike store to see if they had my bike in (which they attempted to order last week) but it is not in yet, I'm led to believe there is a slight backlog from Giant at the moment, hope I do not have to wait too long!
  • fatsmoker
    fatsmoker Posts: 585
    Rhino. wrote:
    Had a good day today at work, used Strava for the first time and cycled 16 miles as part of my shift, with all the kit including body armour I can tell you in the temperatures today, it was toasty!

Body armour? Shouldn't you be riding a horse into a battle of Bosworth re-enactment?
  • Rhino.
    fatsmoker wrote:
    Rhino. wrote:

Body armour? Shouldn't you be riding a horse into a battle of Bosworth re-enactment?

:lol:
  • Rhino.
    I cannot get the 4 in my size (medium large) so I'm getting the 5, leaving me with £101 for bits and bobs:

2014_Giant_Defy_5.jpg

Any suggestions for bits and bobs? I was thinking get some low profile mudgaurds put on!
  • Rhino.
    Well today I picked up:

* 2014 Giant Defy 5
    * Funkier Bib Gel Shorts
    * Chiba Ride Mits
    * Claud Butler Proteus 5 Front (white) and Rear (red) LED's
    * Bontrager Bottle Cage
    * Camelback Bottle
    * Tiny Bike Multitool

20140725_192710_zps58hznaoe.jpg

Just taken it out for a it's first outing and did a nice 19 miles in the sunset, I'm a happy boy :)
  • keep your eyes peeled for lidl and aldi bike specials.
    end of august start of September may be the next ,
  • I have a defy 3 2013 and it is a fantastic bike.
    Just a couple of tips for cummuting with this bike:
    * If you want mudgards (and you should), go for the giant defy specific http://www.tredz.co.uk/.Giant-Road-Bike ... _34189.htm. This bike has very limited clearance for mudgards and these fit perfectly.
    * If you end up mounting a rear rack, keep in mind that the back part of your feet might rub against the paniers.
    * If you want to go down the clipless pedal road and want to use your bike for commuting and weekend riding, go for double service MTB pedal (http://goo.gl/5ajlX5).
    * Enjoy your new bike
  • Schoie81
    Schoie81 Posts: 749
    I bought a Defy 5 last summer. After a first ride of 4miles that nearly killed me, I've worked up to my longest ride a couple of weeks ago of 64miles and have covered a shade over 2000miles on it in my first 12months. No problems at all with the bike, loved every minute of it. Very happy with my choice of bike and would happily recommend it to anyone wanting a first road bike. If you enjoy it half as much as I have done, you'll be a very happy fella!!
    "I look pretty young, but I'm just back-dated"