using a 3 speed for longer distance.

wbbigdave
wbbigdave Posts: 16
edited July 2014 in Road beginners
Hello all,

I currently own a Charge plug 3 2013 3 speed beastie. I love it to pieces and it does me well over shorter distances of about 6-8 miles. I was wondering however if anyone uses a three speed for longer distances like club runs etc (40-60 miles at 14mph average) I was also wondering on if it would be worth spending some money on upgrading the handlebars to either the charge bowl or maybe the set that is on the plug 3 2014 http://www.hargrovescycles.co.uk/charge-plug-3-red-2014-road-bike.html

I am very unsure on if I want to start getting more serious so something interim would be my best option right now I think.

Comments

• iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    Plenty of people, myself included, manage club runs on fixed. As long as you have a good cruising gear and something low enough to manage hills, you'll be good for most things.
  • w00dster
    w00dster Posts: 880
    Agree with Pete.
    I have a couple of single speed bikes, both steel and fairly heavy bikes. I tend to ride about 40-45 miles rides on mine, to answer your question of speed, all depends on your fitness and the route you will be taking. My rides tend to be on rolling countryside roads, the odd lump or two, but not mountainous at all. If I lived somewhere with real hills, I'd probably pick my rides very carefully.
    Take it out for a longer ride on your own and see how you get on. (I ride at least once or twice a week on mine - more if the weather is bad)
    Personally I would change the bars, but if you're comfortable with your setup, see how things go to begin with.
  • MiddleRinger
    MiddleRinger Posts: 678
    One gear for the flats
    One for the uphill
    One for the downhill

:D