New tyre setup

Northern_Monkey13
Northern_Monkey13 Posts: 79
edited July 2014 in MTB buying advice
Looking at a new tyre and fancy a change from the tioga pyscho genius on the rear at the mo.
Thinking of putting my front maxxis advantage on the rear and the buying a racing Ralph dd for the front what's peoples opinions?

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Other way round I would think?
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Sprool
    Sprool Posts: 1,022
    from the perspective of a non-competitive enthusiast, do you REALLY notice the difference having a dedicated front and rear tyre?
  • CitizenLee
    CitizenLee Posts: 2,227
    Looking at a new tyre and fancy a change from the tioga pyscho genius on the rear at the mo.
    Thinking of putting my front maxxis advantage on the rear and the buying a racing Ralph dd for the front what's peoples opinions?

As Rookie says, wrong way round for those two but the Ralph is good choice for the back :)

If you do want to try the Advantage as a rear tyre you could pair it with another one (depending on the size you already have) for 2.25 front / 2.1 rear. Another option would be to keep the Advantage up front and pair it with a Maxxis Crossmark. Both seem to be popular combos.
    Sprool wrote:
    from the perspective of a non-competitive enthusiast, do you REALLY notice the difference having a dedicated front and rear tyre?

I'm not even sure I'd class myself as highly as a non-competitive enthusiast but I find tyres make a big difference to how a bike feels and handles, although it can be one of those things you don't notice until you change.

I currently run x2 Schwalbe Hans Dampf Evos but now the trails are finally starting to dry out I can feel the rear dragging, especially on climbs. As a result I've ordered a Racing Ralph Evo as they faster rolling. Should pair nicely with the grippier HD up front.

Most manufacturers have tyre combinations that are designed to work well together, like the classic Panaracer Smoke and Dart or Maxxis Minion and High Roller + various others depending on bike type and riding conditions.
    Current:
    NukeProof Mega FR 2012
    Cube NuRoad 2018
    Previous:
    2015 Genesis CdF 10, 2014 Cube Hyde Race, 2012 NS Traffic, 2007 Specialized SX Trail, 2005 Specialized Demo 8
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Doesn't matter how good the bike or you are, it's only that 1.5 sq" patch of rubber touching that ground that gives you grip.

You don't need a front specific tyre, but you want a 'good one' for your usage (riding style and surfaces).
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.