Ridley X Fire Disc 20

Paul 8v
Paul 8v Posts: 5,458
edited January 2015 in Your road bikes
Picked this up tonight, more than a little happy with it! Need to go get it covered in mud...
20140630_190052.jpg
20140630_190106.jpg
20140630_190117.jpg
20140630_190137.jpg

Comments

• ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,235
    The colour scheme is not my thing, but the frame geometry is ace!
    left the forum March 2023
  • Loving the MTB style colour scheme!
  • macleod113
    macleod113 Posts: 560
    I do like that. like you say it needs to be covered in mud as its far too clean at the mo :-)
    Cube Cross 2016
    Willier GTR 2014
  • Paul 8v
    It looks better in the flesh with the bare carbon and the blue bits are metallic (Bonus for me is my club kit is white, light blue and dark blue!)

The geometry is great, really responsive with quick steering, very point and shoot. There's plenty of clearance for tyres, I might try Charlie the bike mongers 100 mile gravel sportive next year so I think I'll run it with some 40mm tyres for that (Should be OK on dry gravel, probably would only go up to about 35 in Essex as we have sticky clay which makes the wheels twice the size they started off as)

Discs haven't bedded in as it's only been on a short test ride but even without them being bedded in they're still better than the cantis on my old bike.

I'm going to keep the Griffo's for mud and I have some Racing Ralphs for intermediate conditions. For the (Possibly) dry earlier races I will try some Continetal CX speed tyres I think.

Any yes it definitely needs to be covered in mud, not looking forward to trying to clean the totally impractical (But pro looking) white tape though!
  • Paul 8v
    I've put a fair few miles in on this now and a couple of races, it really is a great bike, my old cross bike was fast but this is a missile. The carbon takes the sting out of very rutted hard ground but it's stiff enough to be able to put the power down and just fly.

I had a problem with it chucking the chain in a race and getting wedged between the chainstay and the chainring so I have now rectified this with a Token chain catcher (Shown below) No carbon frame should be ridden without a chaincather I think as it really chored up the chainstay (All repaired now)

The bike has seen some extreme mud in the form of Essex clay on a Farmers field which did eventually stop it but by this time the wheels were the same size as a Fatbike wheel due to the build up of the mud!

The handling is razor sharp and very precise, it's probably not the best bike fort the weekly commute as it's lively but if you want to go really fast off road, this is the one!

20141017_1244051.jpg

20141017_124412.jpg

20141017_124438.jpg

20141017_141138.jpg

20141017_141131.jpg

Bar tape is still white, those of you who only ride on the road and have dirty white tape, you have no excuse!
    20141017_141210.jpg

And before I get stick for having a bottle cage, it's only there as I did a 2 hour training ride ;-)
  • SCR Pedro
    SCR Pedro Posts: 912
    Sweet ride. I want one.
    Giant TCR Advanced II - Reviewed on my homepage
    Giant TCR Alliance Zero
    BMC teammachineSLR03
    The Departed
    Giant SCR2
    Canyon Roadlite
    Specialized Allez
    Some other junk...
  • Paul 8v
    Tyres are now changed to Rocket Rons for the winter. The Griffos are a great, fast all round tyre but for thick mud they get clogged up and there wasn't much grip when climbing muddy hills or when cornering.

I can't recommend the Rocket Ron's highly enough, they really bite in the corners. Just be aware they are a race tyre so don't have a very thick carcass and are more susceptibility to punctures if you're trail riding.
  • Great review of the bike! It looks smashing covered in mud!
  • Paul 8v
    Thanks, I think that's how cross bikes are best displayed. The clean pic is to prove I do look after it too though :-)
  • Looking after it is getting it dirty through riding. Cleaning is sacrilege!
  • maxlite
    maxlite Posts: 293
    Great looking bike, love the colour scheme...seen too many black cross bikes :D
    Cervelo R5
    Cinelli Saetta
    Giant XTC
    Raleigh Classic
  • Paul 8v
    Thanks, I was lucky it was in my club colours with the light blue, dark blue and white. This year's model is, you guessed it -All black!
    :-)
  • It's always so lucky that that happens. I always seem to get lucky too.
  • Paul, I`m owning Crossnight model. It needs repainting and I`m thinking about blue-black color scheme as Your x-night. Can You get in touch with me as I`d like to ask for Your help with photos ?
  • Thanks for reply Paul. I can`t reply to PM as system states that I`m new user and can`t use PM.
    I would appreciate if You could send me photos of top tube, bottom tube, rear tubes. Just need to know how to recreate the graphics =) My email is my login in domain of most known uncle g ;)
  • Paul 8v
    No problems, it will probably be tomorrow now but I'll get it sorted. The graphics are raised from the frame, quite odd!