Road Bike ****

WimpyMiniMaster
WimpyMiniMaster Posts: 10
edited July 2014 in Road buying advice
Road Bike *** (changed to minimise views)

Comments

• secretsam
    secretsam Posts: 5,099
    If it's the right size (check out the Genesis website for geometry) then it's a blinding deal for £450

It's just a hill. Get over it.
  • Size looks good, just a little sceptical as it's such a large reduction. Do you think it could be something to do with the bike as to why it's been reduced so greatly?
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Size looks good, just a little sceptical as it's such a large reduction. Do you think it could be something to do with the bike as to why it's been reduced so greatly?

If in doubt, phone the shop and ask them. Although they would be obliged to highlight any issues on the web page if there were problems with the bike...
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    i would have thought it's because they only have 2 sizes left in stock, and they want to clear ...
  • WimpyMiniMaster
    WimpyMiniMaster Posts: 10
    edited June 2014
    Sorry, I meant as in the bikes just not a very good bike. And also been checking the sizing and am struggling to find a genesis size chart for this bike, and I've read that sometimes these bikes come up small in size? I'm 5'8 with a 30 inch inside leg and was looking at either the 52cm or the 54cm which is £50 more . Does anyone know how these bikes come up size wise?
  • menthel
    menthel Posts: 2,484
    I have the steel equillibrium in a 54 and an 5'9" with 30" inside leg- its just about perfect. There is a geometry chart on the genesis website.

http://www.genesisbikes.co.uk/bikes/roa ... /volant-10
    RIP commute...
    Sometimes seen bimbling around on a purple Fratello Disc or black and red Aprire Vincenza.
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    The geometry is on the Genesis website - just scroll down the relevant page and you will see it.
  • Ahh found it. Having not bought a road bike before, what am I looking for on the geometry chart that will dictate the size I go for?
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    voant10_zps10c2d36e.jpg
  • drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    I'm the same height as you but longer legs hence shorter torso, I would get the 54cm for me, so the 54 should be fine for you too.

My frame is 73.5 seat tube angle and 54.5cm effective top tube, exactly the same as the Genesis 54cm. While I have a 11cm, stem, you might be better with a 12cm as your torso is a bit longer than mine...just my guess.

How much saddle-bar drop do you want? The 56cm might fit you and you'd have 2cm less drop. The 52 would give a more agressive stance
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • It looks as though maybe I should opt for the 54cm. I'm only 15 so I imagine hopefully I have an inch of growth left (at a push) as I'm taller than my parents already and haven't grown for a while aha. Also I was looking to do longer distances 100km+ so a less aggressive stance would probably be a little more comfortable for long durations.
  • drlodge
    It looks as though maybe I should opt for the 54cm. I'm only 15 so I imagine hopefully I have an inch of growth left (at a push) as I'm taller than my parents already and haven't grown for a while aha. Also I was looking to do longer distances 100km+ so a less aggressive stance would probably be a little more comfortable for long durations.

From what I've read I would suggest the 54cm too. You can always make a frame a little bigger (raise the saddle, fit a longer stem) but you can't make a big frame smaller. I doubt the 54 will be too big for you, the 52 will likely be too small and the 56 too big.
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • drlodge
    BTW, would be worth you trying to get a sit on a 54cm Cannondale CAAD bike, its the same geometry.
    Find me on Strava
  • That sounds like a plan. Either way though through the power of elimination, it sounds like the 54cm will be the best size. Cheers to everyone for the advice so quick, and will post a photo of it when I get it. Now just need to finishing saving up. Should be about a month and a half I think.
  • bmxboy10
    bmxboy10 Posts: 1,958
    That sounds like a plan. Either way though through the power of elimination, it sounds like the 54cm will be the best size. Cheers to everyone for the advice so quick, and will post a photo of it when I get it. Now just need to finishing saving up. Should be about a month and a half I think.

Are you expecting the bike to still available in a month and a half? Especially as you have now advertised the fact on the web?
  • True, maybe should have waited till closer to it. Could delete the thread?
  • cattytown
    cattytown Posts: 647
    There seems to be a few dealers offering at broadly similar prices on the bike - Winstanley's are a little more expensive at just shy of £500 but also claim to have larger sizes in.

Might be worth approaching family for a short term loan? The deal looks to have been discussed on other forums...

Paul.
    Giant Defy 2
    Large bloke getting smaller :-)
  • passout
    passout Posts: 4,425
    menthel wrote:
    I have the steel equillibrium in a 54 and an 5'9" with 30" inside leg- its just about perfect. There is a geometry chart on the genesis website.

http://www.genesisbikes.co.uk/bikes/roa ... /volant-10

I'm the same size as you and my genesis aether (more or less the same geo I think) fits like a glove in 54cm.
    'Happiness serves hardly any other purpose than to make unhappiness possible' Marcel Proust.
  • w00dster
    w00dster Posts: 880
    Becareful with the sizing, I have two Genesis bikes. Both a 54, but they are noticably smaller than my Trek bikes which are also a 54.
    I'm just under 5' 8". The Genesis 54 is about as small as I would want to go. If you get the chance worth going to the shop and seeing how it fits for yourself.
    The website has the geometry the same for the volant as my flyer, (54.5 horizontal toptube), my Madone has an effective toptube of 54.3, but the Genesis does feel smaller. (both stems are slammed and same size and seat height/forward movement is the same)
  • I think it'll have to be fingers crossed and save up as fast as possible aha. Oh well, if this does fall through there are always other bikes ;)