cycling on roads closed for the TDF

2»

Comments

• TMR
    TMR Posts: 3,986
    Macaloon wrote:
    Sounds like a plan.

Does your rhubarb rustle on a Contador stalk?

That raised a smile. Well done. Have slept on the floor in our youngest's bedroom all night. Kids! Tired and rather grumpy this morning.
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    Macaloon wrote:
    Sounds like a plan.

Does your rhubarb rustle on a Contador stalk?

My mind is unable to process such esoteric imagery. You could try again though: By trying often, the monkey learns to jump from the tree.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • graeme_s-2
    graeme_s-2 Posts: 3,382
    Term1te wrote:
    Cycled to Porrentruy for a stage finish a few years back with my son and his friend. The most direct route included the last 10km of the stage, which we rode along a couple of hours before the pros. It was great getting the cheers from the early spectators, although they did pull us to the side a couple of hundred meters from the finish, just as we were building up speed for the sprint. The boys loved it, that's the way to get the next generation into the sport.
    A colleague and I will be attempting to cycle up Holme Moss on Sunday after driving up from Coventry in the morning.

In 2012 we went to see the Stoke on Trent stage of the Tour of Britain. Saw them signing on and the roll out, cut across the route to see them going up one of the climbs, and then cut back to beat the peloton back to Stoke for a sprint finish. We didn't pull off the route early enough and ended up on the wrong side of the barriers cycling up the finishing straight while the crowd banged on the boards and shouted "Come on Wiggo!" at us. I was just winding up for a sprint when a marshall waved us through the gap in the barriers the team cars use :oops:
  • takethehighroad
    takethehighroad Posts: 6,602
    hammerite wrote:
    hammerite wrote:
    curium wrote:
    The riders will transfer straight to France so there will be no hotels to stakeout or training rides to follow.

What a disaster. Bang goes my Contador plan.

Get yourself to Cambridge on Sunday night.

Just checked, you can get 2 for the price of 1. Stalk Contador and nobble Froome. Sky and Tinkoff are staying in the same Marriott in Peterborough.

Is Frenchie the new Mark Chapman?
  • markhewitt1978
    markhewitt1978 Posts: 7,614
    The word is that roads will be closed to cyclists and pedestrians up to 1 hour before the caravan arrives. Question is how could they enforce that? Would you really have police chasing down someone who is just walking along the side of the road?
  • marcusjb
    marcusjb Posts: 2,412
    The word is that roads will be closed to cyclists and pedestrians up to 1 hour before the caravan arrives. Question is how could they enforce that? Would you really have police chasing down someone who is just walking along the side of the road?

Boris is sending up his new water cannon trucks as the course checking vehicles.
  • pollys_bott
    pollys_bott Posts: 1,012
    Anyone familiar with the mindset of North Yorks police? I'm wondering whether there'll be people parking on the side of the A659 near Harewood where it joins the A61 race route, because it'll be a no-through road tomorrow for motor vehicles. Or would they be gits and chuck 'no parking' cones out everywhere? I've got a parking space sorted near Wetherby but a work colleague is driving over from Halifax and is wondering about parking options in the area.

Edit - maybe it's not a no-through road... :?
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Anyone familiar with the mindset of North Yorks police? I'm wondering whether there'll be people parking on the side of the A659 near Harewood where it joins the A61 race route, because it'll be a no-through road tomorrow for motor vehicles. Or would they be gits and chuck 'no parking' cones out everywhere? I've got a parking space sorted near Wetherby but a work colleague is driving over from Halifax and is wondering about parking options in the area.<br abp="812"><br abp="813">Edit - maybe it's not a no-through road... :?

Did C2C in a Day last week - the back road through Wensleydale is generously coned off with signs saying no parking. I'd imagine the same applies at Harewood!
    Faster than a tent.......
  • terry2708
    terry2708 Posts: 92
    3 of us will be getting to Moreton around 9 am and will be riding plenty of the route. A friends wife is a steward on the stage and un officially you won't be kicked off they are just trying not to promote it. We will stay in Essex as it will be a whole new ball game in london with the Met Police!!
  • terry2708
    terry2708 Posts: 92
    Cycled all over the route no problems, had a fantastic day and everyone was happy, never seen so many happy people watching a sporting event.
  • philwint
    philwint Posts: 763
    As we were cycling the closed road from Huddersfield to Holme Moss Sunday morning we came up with a cunning plan - All roads should be closed on Sundays.

That would get more people cycling than any other measure :D
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,348
    Yup - bit of consistency from the UK organisers might have been nice, but I suppose that's a pretty insignificant niggle from us

Phil - have to say that closed roads may not necessarily come with a bunch of cheering crowds... ;)
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • RideOnTime
    RideOnTime Posts: 4,712
    Closed A61 was awesome... :)
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,348
    Another one is that none of the big screens that were supposed to be in Central/West London just werent there, which is a bit of a gyp...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver