Rim and spoke lacing dilemma *added photo*

team47b
team47b Posts: 6,425
edited June 2014 in Workshop
Ok I'm confused :D

Point number 1.

My starting point for lacing is first spoke left of valve on the drive side, the nipple is always on the outer edge, the spoke coming from the left side of the hub.

14 of the 16 wheels in my house do this.

Two wheels have the nipple left of the valve on the inner edge of the rim.

Why?

Is this because they are from the late 60's and it was just different back then?

Point number 2. ( not the wheels mentioned above)

In order to box the valve the first spoke on the left of the valve comes from the left of the hub and is done the same on both sides of the hub.

Why would someone lace from the left of the hub on one side and come from the right of the hub on the other side? Is this a different school of thought for a reason, for strength perhaps, or just plain wrong?

I have photos if it helps :D
my isetta is a 300cc bike

Comments

• ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,248
    Point number one, some rims are drilled "the other way round". If drilling is not directional, then one method is just like the other.

Point number two: just different schools, no real difference in practice. I lace all the rear wheels (except disc wheels and fixed/flip flop wheels) with a symmetric pattern, all the pulling spokes are head in. In disc wheels and fixed/flip flop I lace the non drive side with the braking spokes head in
    left the forum March 2023
  • team47b
    team47b Posts: 6,425
    Thanks Ugo, I had never seen a rim that was the other way inclined before, so it's the same approach on these rims but using the key spoke to the right of the valve and to the right side of the hub as my starting point.

Less confused now :D

Still confused about point 2.

So if my key spoke is outer edge, first on the right of the valve and spoke coming from the right of the hub on one side should it not be exactly the same approach on the other side or is it ok coming from the left of the hub to first outer on the right of the valve on this side? Why would you not make them the same, or to put it another way why do they look like they are crossing at weird angles if you don't? Which is 'correct'?

Not sure what 'pulling spokes head in' means :D

imagejpg3-2.jpg
    my isetta is a 300cc bike