How to determine which new wheels?

Bryster
Bryster Posts: 2
edited June 2014 in MTB buying advice
Hi

After using it to get to nearish my own fighting weight, I'm at the point where I need to start looking at shaving weight off the bike itself. I've read that wheels and tyres will generally save the most weight in one go, so I'm going to start here. Problem is I don't really know what I'm looking at so any help would be much appreciated.

I have a 2012 Voodoo Hoodoo, with original 26" wheelset and Maxi tyres on them. Is there anything I really need to take into consideration when buying (ie anything that would mean the new wheelset would not fit? - I mean considering the disks/quick release system/gears etc).

I use the bike mainly for trailriding (for weight shedding purposes), so really want to get a bit more zip out of the bike as those Maxis really feel quite cumbersome. I'm looking to spend around £200-£300 if anyne has any recommendations.

Comments

• bailsofhay
    bailsofhay Posts: 191
    Just changing the tyres can give a completely different ride. You could try some tyres with less rolling resistance and maybe a bit thinner to shave a bit of weight. I think this will give maximum weight to cost savings and if you are still not happy go for a wheel upgrade.
  • CitizenLee
    CitizenLee Posts: 2,227
    Axle types and rear hub spacing are the two things you need to pay attention to when looking at new wheels.

For the Hoodoo I expect you'd need QR front and 135x9mm QR rear, but someone will have to confirm that for you.

Have a look at Superstar Components wheelsets, or CRC sometimes has some excellent clearance deals.

As for tyres... Schwalbe Rocket Rons or Racing Ralph would be my suggestion, although XC isn't really my field of expetice.
    Current:
    NukeProof Mega FR 2012
    Cube NuRoad 2018
    Previous:
    2015 Genesis CdF 10, 2014 Cube Hyde Race, 2012 NS Traffic, 2007 Specialized SX Trail, 2005 Specialized Demo 8
  • poah
    poah Posts: 3,369
    weigh the wheels and yres to see where you can loose weight. decent wheels will be around 1650g while tyres can range from 450g and up. if you don't go near any rocks then a set of set of schwalbe rocket rons or nobby nics are a good buy (get it from ze germans - www.bike-discount.de).

if you can loose 300g from each tyre and try and make your wheels tubeless then you can shave another 100g off the rotating weight too ( gorilla tape 25mm and dt swiss valves plus some stans)