Canyon frame keeps cracking - what would you do?

2»

Comments

• Crozza
    Crozza Posts: 991
    Is it just the 2013 CF SLX frames that suffer from this?

I have done 4000 miles on a 2014 CF SL and so far so good I am 82kg and ride over some fairly rough roads?

so far it seems - maybe they took all of the 170gms difference out of the seat tube
  • benpatton
    benpatton Posts: 20
    I've just taken my bike apart to pack it away in my bike box (off on my hols at the weekend), and noticed what appear to be horizontal light witness marks on the rear stress reliever. I've taken some macro photo's of these marks and will re assess when I get back. Not at all happy. Less than 1000 miles in, 80kg, VCL2 on 45mm mark.
  • Bar Shaker
    Bar Shaker Posts: 2,313
    Bar Shaker wrote:
    I am surprised that Canyon keep selling them. They must be suffering real pain with this and there is lots more pain to come, whilst people are still riding bikes in warranty.

You have to wonder how long they can keep just mailing out new frames, FOC.

How many have they had to replace so far?

No idea but those that post on here will be a minisce percentage of the total.
    Boardman Elite SLR 9.2S
    Boardman FS Pro
  • lawrences
    lawrences Posts: 1,011
    Bar Shaker wrote:

New lick of paint and stick it back in the post :? . Can't cost too much.
  • Bar Shaker wrote:
    Bar Shaker wrote:
    I am surprised that Canyon keep selling them. They must be suffering real pain with this and there is lots more pain to come, whilst people are still riding bikes in warranty.

There hasn't been many posted on here? 6 or 8 maybe?
    "You really think you can burn off sugar with exercise?" downhill paul
  • darkhairedlord
    darkhairedlord Posts: 7,180
    Reminds me of when the first pocketable mobile phones came out. Technophobe couldn't make them fast enough and had quite a few non working so would knowingly send these out to customers knowing they would be returned. By the time they came back the working ones would be in and the customer finally got a good one. Canyon might have supply problems and are just sending out the same busted frames over again until a two rides a year dentist buys it.
  • mikenetic
    mikenetic Posts: 486
    Bar Shaker wrote:
    Bar Shaker wrote:

I did a tally about a month ago in the thread about the bike in general, rather than this one. There were around 12- 14 separate reported frame failures.
  • mikenetic wrote:
    Bar Shaker wrote:
    Bar Shaker wrote:

I did a tally about a month ago in the thread about the bike in general, rather than this one. There were around 12- 14 separate reported frame failures.

Cheers Mike,
    I wonder how many of those were first time posters?
    I'm not suggesting that the problem doesn't exist but it may be getting a little exaggerated.
    As an interested party I'm trying to sort out the wheat from the chaff and there seems to be a fair bit of chaff.
    Inevitable on a forum I guess.

Take this as an example....
    Canyon might have supply problems and are just sending out the same busted frames over again until a two rides a year dentist buys it.
    :lol:
  • earth
    earth Posts: 934
    There are manufacturing defects and design defects. As you have had 3 or 4 frames already I suggest it is a design defect and no matter how many you have they will all fail.

If something you buy is not fit for purpose then you have the right to a refund. It is clearly not fit for purpose because of a design flaw that causes it to fail. You may have lost the right to a refund as you accepted replacements. But I think you should make the argument that it is a design flaw.
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    earth wrote:
    There are manufacturing defects and design defects. As you have had 3 or 4 frames already I suggest it is a design defect and no matter how many you have they will all fail.

If something you buy is not fit for purpose then you have the right to a refund. It is clearly not fit for purpose because of a design flaw that causes it to fail. You may have lost the right to a refund as you accepted replacements. But I think you should make the argument that it is a design flaw.

I agree with you most wholeheartedly. Still there is the possibility, however slim it may seem, of mechanics error and rider mistreatment(going over curbs, jumping, etc.).
  • graemeho
    graemeho Posts: 36
    I had two frames failure.. same failure mode both times. On the third frame now .. differences are:

1. They supplied a bigger seat clamp ( same as the SL models I believe)

and subsequently when I had seat post slip but refused to tighten past 3.5Nm

2. They supplied a tiny carbon shim for the VCLS II seatpost. ( they call it an anti tolerance shim)

Combination of these two things ... so far ( approx. 500 miles) .. seems to have solved the horizontal cracking around the stress relief area issue.

80kg and have the post approx. mid way on the marks.
    Overall they were very good in responding. Although the gear setup on the last frame exchange was poor.
    As every one says its really an amazingly good bike to ride, especially when you and your mates hit the hills. bye bye.
  • You paid money and you should not put up with this, plus the hassle of stripping, building bikes and the cost of it adding the inconvinience.

time to move on and ask for your money back i would say.
    all the best
  • clincher3 wrote:
    time to move on

Instead of bringing up a month old thread you mean? :D
  • adamfo
    adamfo Posts: 763
    graemeho wrote:
    I had two frames failure.. same failure mode both times. On the third frame now .. differences are:

1. They supplied a bigger seat clamp ( same as the SL models I believe)

and subsequently when I had seat post slip but refused to tighten past 3.5Nm

2. They supplied a tiny carbon shim for the VCLS II seatpost. ( they call it an anti tolerance shim)

Combination of these two things ... so far ( approx. 500 miles) .. seems to have solved the horizontal cracking around the stress relief area issue.

80kg and have the post approx. mid way on the marks.
    Overall they were very good in responding. Although the gear setup on the last frame exchange was poor.
    As every one says its really an amazingly good bike to ride, especially when you and your mates hit the hills. bye bye.

So, still running OK ?

Where does the shim fit ?
  • I guess the cracking is caused by the split in the special seatpost flexing and putting undue pressure on the seattube.

I have often wondered what would happen if a saddle was lower in the tube and that split flexed. - I guess the tube snaps.
  • graemeho
    graemeho Posts: 36
    Answers to the questions

1. is it still running OK.. yes had no problems and bagged a few thousand miles so far on it this summer. Disclaimer ..Have not actually looked, after the first three rides as it requires removing the post with the new larger clamp. This is the clamp fitted to the SL models.

2. Where does the shim fit.. it fits between the split in the seat post . You place it around where the seat clamp will tighten on the post. Very easy to do. In effect it makes the post a tighter fit against the clamp area and I would assume reduces the frame stress ( in the stress relief area) caused when tightening the collar.

Hope that helps.