Some perceptions never change

Majestic 12
Majestic 12 Posts: 63
edited June 2014 in The cake stop
The children now love luxury; they have bad manners, contempt for authority; they show disrespect for elders and love chatter in place of exercise. Children are now tyrants, not the servants of their households. They no longer rise when elders enter the room. They contradict their parents, chatter before company, gobble up dainties at the table, cross their legs, and tyrannize their teachers. - Quote from Socrates (469-399 BC).

Comments

• arran77
    arran77 Posts: 9,260
    I'm sure you did your best to bring them up well, some children are just little shites :P
    "Arran, you are like the Tony Benn of smut. You have never diluted your depravity and always stand by your beliefs. You have my respect sir and your wife my pity" :lol:

seanoconn
  • city_boy
    city_boy Posts: 1,616
    Last week I made my 12 year old son (13 this year) watch this....

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=dLuEY6jN6gY

Even he had to laugh in recognition.

It's only when you are the parent of a teenager you realise how brilliantly observed this is :D
    Statistically, 6 out of 7 dwarves are not happy.
  • capt_slog
    capt_slog Posts: 3,946
    Although the quote is from BC times, and is to show that nothing really changes, I must say that I've noticed a change in my lifetime.

When I was little, 50+ years ago, we did what my parents did. If my mum and dad wanted to go to to see the tulips at Spalding (say), we sat in the car with them for hours to get there and see a bunch of bloody flowers on a lorry. We went walking where there wanted to walk. saw things they wanted to see. I'm not saying I got nothing from this, we had a fantastic childhood and it's shaped what I am today.

But now? We take our kids to this club on Monday, that activity on Tuesday, a lesson perhaps on Wednesday and so on. What the hell happened? When did they take over and expect this? They don't do what we want to do, we do what they want.

The above paragraph applies more to my work colleagues than it does to me, I didn't subscribe to the ethos that says that children have to entertained full-time. To a large extent, mine did what we did and apart from a brief spell where we had to cart one of them around every weekend to play football, it's been a very happy experience.

The older I get, the better I was.

• Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,549
    City Boy wrote:

It's only when you are the parent of a teenager you realise how brilliantly observed this is :D
    :lol:

That will come in very handy when my kid turns 13 in September...may show her this tomorrow.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • mamba80
    mamba80 Posts: 5,032
    Capt Slog wrote:
    Although the quote is from BC times, and is to show that nothing really changes, I must say that I've noticed a change in my lifetime.

When I was little, 50+ years ago, we did what my parents did. If my mum and dad wanted to go to to see the tulips at Spalding (say), we sat in the car with them for hours to get there and see a bunch of bloody flowers on a lorry. We went walking where there wanted to walk. saw things they wanted to see. I'm not saying I got nothing from this, we had a fantastic childhood and it's shaped what I am today.

that may have been your childhood but from what I see of my daughters friends, teachers & school (which I went to 40 odd yrs ago) there has been a sea change...for the better... in terms of behaviour, attitude and in their responsibilities to society!

Certainly kids don't appear to have as much freedom as maybe my generation did but overall I think there are some really great kids around and personally, I enjoy taking my daughter to her various activities, my mum and dad took sod all interest in me and we and all of my friends were left to make it up as we went along, often for the worst.

what does xxxx kids off is adults saying "we know best and in my day etc"
  • Buy them all a Playstation each
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • RideOnTime
    RideOnTime Posts: 4,712
    Capt Slog wrote:

But now? We take our kids to this club on Monday, that activity on Tuesday, a lesson perhaps on Wednesday and so on. What the hell happened? When did they take over and expect this? They don't do what we want to do, we do what they want.

The above paragraph applies more to my work colleagues than it does to me, I didn't subscribe to the ethos that says that children have to entertained full-time. To a large extent, mine did what we did and apart from a brief spell where we had to cart one of them around every weekend to play football, it's been a very happy experience.

great ....
  • RideOnTime
    RideOnTime Posts: 4,712
    The children now love luxury; they have bad manners, contempt for authority; they show disrespect for elders and love chatter in place of exercise. Children are now tyrants, not the servants of their households. They no longer rise when elders enter the room. They contradict their parents, chatter before company, gobble up dainties at the table, cross their legs, and tyrannize their teachers and they won't get off their flippin tablets. - Quote from Socrates (469-399 BC).
  • jjsh
    jjsh Posts: 142
    City Boy wrote:

I guess he's a little young to see how its ends, also brilliantly observed. :D

http://youtu.be/alWX-4dJ4P0
  • mamba80 wrote:
    Capt Slog wrote:

that may have been your childhood but from what I see of my daughters friends, teachers & school (which I went to 40 odd yrs ago) there has been a sea change...for the better... in terms of behaviour, attitude and in their responsibilities to society!

Certainly kids don't appear to have as much freedom as maybe my generation did but overall I think there are some really great kids around and personally, I enjoy taking my daughter to her various activities, my mum and dad took sod all interest in me and we and all of my friends were left to make it up as we went along, often for the worst.

what does xxxx kids off is adults saying "we know best and in my day etc"

I agree. Kids may not have the freedoms that I had when I grew up in the 70s, but they are definitely better behaved and their attitude to learning is far improved to what I remember.
    The quote from Socrates was read out by the vice chancellor of my daughters university on graduation day on Friday, to prove the point that the 1000+ students graduating that day certainly buck the perception by many that the young are feckless and a waste of space. My daughter and her fellow students have worked like troopers this year in order to complete their work and graduate. It doesn't finish there as they have organised and exhibition in London (see other post) and invited all relevant media concerns to attend in order to get commissions and start earning. They are certainly more switched on and hard working than I ever was in my early 20s. I was happy with my weekly pay cheque which invariably got pi55ed away at the weekends.
    The opportunities that are open to youngsters these days are just incredible. The world really is their oyster.
  • Giraffoto
    Giraffoto Posts: 2,078
    Young people these days eh? Don't you wish you were one?
    Specialized Roubaix Elite 2015
    XM-057 rigid 29er
  • crispybug2
    crispybug2 Posts: 2,915
    Giraffoto wrote:
    Young people these days eh? Don't you wish you were one?

"Youth is wasted on the young"

Truest statement ever.
  • metronome
    metronome Posts: 670
    "'Life is wasted on people.'"
    Greenberg
    tick - tick - tick
  • ballysmate
    ballysmate Posts: 15,921
    "Don't waste your time or time will waste you"

Knights of Cydonia - Muse