Still in shock

gbsahne001
gbsahne001 Posts: 1,973
edited January 2015 in Commuting chat
have had the green light for a new bike, so contenders are...

Planet X RT-58
Ribble HF83
Felt Z4

anything else I should consider? budget of 2k

Comments

• itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    Cervelo R3
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • jzed
    jzed Posts: 2,926
    Have a look at Westbrook Cycles, they have a couple of Scott's and Cannondales just under 2k after nice discounts.
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    itboffin wrote:
    Cervelo R3

This. I saw a size 54 for just over £1k on a German site the other day.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    Canyon Ultimate CF SL 9

http://www.canyon.com/_en/roadbikes/bike.html?b=3241

Also the Aeroad range is being refreshed (new model was spotted at the Tour de Suisse) so maybe some bargains available on the old Aeroad soon.
  • greg66_tri_v2.0
    greg66_tri_v2.0 Posts: 7,172
    Asprilla wrote:
    itboffin wrote:
    Cervelo R3

This. I saw a size 54 for just over £1k on a German site the other day.

Here? http://jedi-sports.de/Framesets/Road/Ce ... :4492.html

That is keenly priced alright.
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • itboffin
    Nah someone posted an R3 with ultegra di2 for £1600 I think it might have been Westbrook or slanes
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • gbsahne001
    The canyon does look nice...
  • jonny_trousers
    jonny_trousers Posts: 3,588
    gbsahne wrote:

I've read an awful lot of threads about seat tubes developing cracks on the Ultimate CFs recently.

That Super Six Evo deal looks incredible. That would win my vote.
  • MisterMuncher
    MisterMuncher Posts: 1,302
    +1 on that. I'd go the team colours, too. The green highlights on the groupset really set it off. Wheels maybe less than ideal, but Mavics always sell pretty well if you were to upgrade.
  • gbsahne001
    I have a set of donor wheels that would go into it; Royce hubs with archetype rims, so not too bothered about the wheels
  • jspash
    jspash Posts: 107
    I've got a PX RT-57 and haven't regretted the purchase at all. And with the money I saved over a "name brand" I got some nice wheels, pedals, shoes, a new saddle and some new kit.

But I'd love an R3!
  • mtb-idle
    mtb-idle Posts: 2,179
    gbsahne wrote:

I've read an awful lot of threads about seat tubes developing cracks on the Ultimate CFs recently.

i'm making a totally uninformed judgement here but could that be because the current trend appears to be to buy a frame that's too small for you and wind up the seatpost to some ridiculous height thereby increasing the leverage on the seattube/downtube to levels that were never expected?
    FCN = 4
  • corriebee1
    corriebee1 Posts: 390
    gbsahne wrote:
    have had the green light for a new bike, so contenders are...

Planet X RT-58
    Ribble HF83
    Felt Z4

anything else I should consider? budget of 2k

I freakin love my Felt! But then, my frame of reference is limited.
  • itboffin
    i'm very jealous i'd love a new project to work on, I was tempted to get a Canyon to replace my Trek but the Trek is perfectly fast and comfortable.
  • gbsahne001
    MTB-Idle wrote:
    i'm making a totally uninformed judgement here but could that be because the current trend appears to be to buy a frame that's too small for you and wind up the seatpost to some ridiculous height thereby increasing the leverage on the seattube/downtube to levels that were never expected?

That sounds just like the road bike I'm currently using, which started as a frame from ebay; 52 when it probably should have been a min of 54 if not 56.
  • A very happy Canyon purchaser over here. I have an Ultimate CF which at the time offered better value than anything else I could find and is a awesome ride.
    If I know you, and I like you, you can borrow my bike box for £30 a week. PM for details.
  • jonny_trousers
    jonny_trousers Posts: 3,588
    MTB-Idle wrote:
    gbsahne wrote:

No idea. Could be. There's also talk that the Canyon seatposts that are designed to flex are putting undue stress on the top of the seat tube. There are a few threads over in Road General about it. One guy's had 3 replacements.
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Bought a Canyon Ultimate AL SLX. Very impressed*. DA with light wheels and you're under £2k.

*If the seat tube cracks, I'll be fcuking livid.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    cjcp wrote:
    Bought a Canyon Ultimate AL SLX. Very impressed*. DA with light wheels and you're under £2k.

Interesting. AL SLX over CF SLX? Any reason (I know the reviews for it are awesome) - is this the best bike?
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • asprilla
    Also, what's the difference between the ME and EL versions?
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Sun - Cervelo R3
  • itboffin
    cjcp wrote:

Did you buy DA as well ...? :shock:
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    Asprilla wrote:
    Think it's cable routing. MEchanical vs ELectronic
    (The top of the line Ultimate AL SLX comes with Ultegra Di2, the rest are either SRAM or 105/Ultegra I think)
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • asprilla
    dhope wrote:
    Asprilla wrote:
    Think it's cable routing. MEchanical vs ELectronic
    (The top of the line Ultimate AL SLX comes with Ultegra Di2, the rest are either SRAM or 105/Ultegra I think)

I thought that was the case, I just couldn't see it as I lazily skimmed the blurb.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Sun - Cervelo R3
  • itboffin
    its funny that they now seem to favour Shimano & SRAM when I visited the showroom in Koblenz the response I got when asking about groupset was "nothing other than Campagnolo would be right" they were of course right.

and damn it someone stole my KOM from the fortress
    1280px-Koblenz_im_Buga-Jahr_2011_-_Festung_Ehrenbreitstein_45.jpg
  • FoldingJoe
    FoldingJoe Posts: 1,327
    If you can find a few hundred extra you can take my S-Works Tarmac!! :)
    Little boy to Obama: "My Dad says that you read all our emails"
    Obama to little boy: "He's not your real Dad"

Kona Honky Tonk for sale: http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=40090&t=13000807
  • cjcp
    dhope wrote:
    cjcp wrote:

Interesting. AL SLX over CF SLX? Any reason (I know the reviews for it are awesome) - is this the best bike?

For what I needed, yep.

It was a lot cheaper, especially with the BC racing licence discount (note: I do not really race), and I wanted something lighter for the commute and training/general riding. The CF does look lovely, but there's only so far domestic permission extends...

I'm a big fan. Has more zip than the old commuter.
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • cjcp
    itboffin wrote:
    cjcp wrote:

Did you buy DA as well ...? :shock:

Heh heh. Ultegra, so you can bring your hr back down
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • gbsahne001
    So to revive an old thread, (now that I have been assured compensation cheque is in the post) CF v Ti?

Was looking at the Dolan ADX frame and building it up.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,294
    Ti, or quality steel. Some of the top end Genesises (Genesii?) look nice.