New Puncture Repair Product

chris_bass
chris_bass Posts: 4,913
edited June 2014 in Road general
https://patchnride.com

I saw this and thought it looked interesting. Not entirely convinced by it as you'd end up with lots of holes in your tyres. What do you think?
www.conjunctivitis.com - a site for sore eyes

Comments

• diplodicus
    diplodicus Posts: 711
    Most of the flats I have had, I wouldn't have a clue where the hole in the inner tube was by looking at the outside of the tyre. Therefore wouldn't, be able to use this tool on them :?:
  • lawrences
    lawrences Posts: 1,011
    How does it work?

Is it some kind of glue or does it heat the rubber to re-bond?
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,529
    the website is largely detail-free, but it seems to insert a, presumably sticky, rubbery blob into the gap between tyre and tube

so as you re-inflate, the hole in the tube is sealed and the rubbery blob sufficiently tough to prevent the tube forcing it out of the puncture

it's interesting, could be excellent for tubs, but does the tube end up stuck to the inside of the tyre? what pressure will the patch hold? how about patching in the wet?

it would've been easy for them to add some close-up photos of a patch, tyre cut away to show what's going on, but they haven't done that, seems a curious omission

before buying i'd want to see proper detail of the 'patch' and some independent reports of actual use on the road

the 'press' references are just to web sites, mostly unrelated to cycling, and seem only to be regurgitating pr blurb rather than actual reporting based on evidence, absolutely no use in evaluating merit of the product

short on detail, long on puffery
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • rickeverett
    rickeverett Posts: 988
    Whats the point?

- most punctures are tiny holes caused by thorns, chippings and other small/shapr objects. So 99% of the time you cant see where it is.

- therefore you need to remove the tube.

- you still need a pump so why not carry a kit?
  • smoggysteve
    smoggysteve Posts: 2,909
    I read the article and the posts after. There seems to be no answer to pinch flats or split inner tubes, so its never going to stop you carrying a spare tube. This may be an useful to those who ride commuter bikes or city bikes but im not convinced its useful to road cyclists on thinner tyres at higher pressures.
  • chris_bass
    chris_bass Posts: 4,913
    this has more info, it is where i first heard about it I linked to the website and assumed it would have the same info but it seems it isnt the greatest website ever!

http://www.redferret.net/?p=44826
    www.conjunctivitis.com - a site for sore eyes
  • sigorman85
    sigorman85 Posts: 2,536
    I want his bag for my commute to work where can I get it wow I sound like a girl
    When i die I just hope the wife doesn't sell my stuff for what I told her I paid for it other wise someone will be getting a mega deal!!!

De rosa superking 888 di2
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,529
    Chris Bass wrote:
    this has more info, it is where i first heard about it I linked to the website and assumed it would have the same info but it seems it isnt the greatest website ever!

http://www.redferret.net/?p=44826

unfortunately that's just the same pr as other sites, nothing new/extra
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • lawrences
    lawrences Posts: 1,011
    That video on the second site linked is pretty disgusting. It seriously suggesting rubbing down your tire with what I can only assume is washing up liquid. Good luck not falling off as you cycle off.

The more I think about this the more I hope whoever invented it hasn't put too much money in.