Help, is my too big?

bikerMau5
bikerMau5 Posts: 32
edited July 2014 in Road beginners
Hi,

Having spent over a month reading reviews, buying advice, forums, YouTube etc, I finally settled on a Boardman Road Sport 2014. I collected yesterday from Hellfords and oh boy do they live up to their name, but that's a story for another time.

Being 174cm (5ft 8.5inc) in height, I opted for the 53. On paper this bike is too small for me and in the saddle it feels all good. But it's difficult to really say as I haven't actually rode it, now I know this sounds ridiculous but I am conscious that this bike may need to be returned.

My concern is, when I stand on the floor, straddling the top tube. Well, there's no real polite way to say this so I'll just say it, my b*ll*ck* are resting on the top tube. It's not uncomfortable and it's not resting against my skeleton (couldn't use the word bone given the topic).

So, is my bike too large?

Note** I have also posted this topic in the Road Buying Advice thread, my apologies if your reading this twice.

Comments

• Bozman
    Bozman Posts: 2,518
    I would say, go back to the shop if you're in doubt and they'll put your mind at ease but it's Halfords.

You might be lucky and another Boardman owner will assist on sizing or if you really are in doubt take it back.

Straddling the top tube won't let you know whether the frame is too big or too small but the length of the top tube does.
    If the frame size measurement relates to the virtual top tube that frame should be about right and probably just needs a bit of fine tuning, also have a look on the net to get your rough guide to saddle height and go from there. I just Googled "saddled height 109% method" and used that as a starting point.
  • taon24
    taon24 Posts: 185
    From discussion with a friend who cannot get his bike to fit (it's probably too big) and with a couple of other friends the important setup points are:

Seat to Pedals - The best guide i've found is can you sit on the seat and pedal with your heels with minimal pelvis movement for seat post height. For saddle backwards/forwards I go by the kneecap above pedal spindle method.
    Crank length can make a difference (smaller cranks will allow a higher seat position).
    If you can't get the seat in the position for leg length and knee position return the bike, it's not going to fit.

Seat to Handlebars - less set, emphasis on what is comfortable for the individual. My experience is that you want to be comfortable on the hoods with a bit of bend in your arms. this will depend on how long your arms are and how far forward you like to lean. It can be altered a bit by stem length, but this will alter the handling of the bike (shorter stems = less handle movement for the same turn). If you can't get in a comfortable position on the hoods, having tried different stem lengths, then return the bike if you can.
  • bikerMau5
    bikerMau5 Posts: 32
    Thanks for all the advice, having read some more and having played around with the fit, I'm feeling pretty comfy in the saddle. I've got fairly short legs so I think a snug stand over height is just something I need to get used too.

Went out on it for the first time this after noon, not far, just 30 minutes or so. It great, quick as hell!
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Standover height doesnt mean anything. I cant think of when you'd be standing over the bike like that anyway ?

If you're MTBing - you might want a lower top tube to avoid er, interactions, but road cycling shouldnt be an issue.
  • pinkteapot
    pinkteapot Posts: 367
    bikerMau5 wrote:
    My concern is, when I stand on the floor, straddling the top tube. Well, there's no real polite way to say this so I'll just say it, my b*ll*ck* are resting on the top tube. It's not uncomfortable and it's not resting against my skeleton (couldn't use the word bone given the topic).

So, is my bike too large?

Maybe your b*ll*ck* are too large....

:D