Edge 800 not connecting to Mac

iron_duke
iron_duke Posts: 117
edited July 2014 in Road buying advice
My Edge 800 has been fairly trouble free (had it for 10 months) and ridden through all weather.

Yesterday and today it is failing to be recognised by my computer when plugged in with mini USB. Never had problems with connecting to this computer in past. Have tried reset and different USB cable all to no avail. It is charging but not being recognised. Rides are saved to micro SD card so can still take them off. Trying to force it into mass storage mode also not happening.

About a week ago had given me a funny co-ordinates type basic screen when switched on but reset seemed to solve this.

Having searched the forum and online thinking that this may be due to a problem with the mini USB port having got wet but have always tried to be meticulous about ensuring it is dry before plugging in. Maybe with the warm weather I have perspired onto it and not recognised this before plugging in which may have done the damage?

Have emailed off to Garmin support as still under warrantee and suspect it may be going back to them but all suggestions gratefully received.

Comments

• drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    Can you try it on a different computer? That will sort out whether its the Garmin or your Mac.
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    Iron_Duke wrote:
    My Edge 800 has been fairly trouble free (had it for 10 months) and ridden through all weather.

Yesterday and today it is failing to be recognised by my computer when plugged in with mini USB. Never had problems with connecting to this computer in past. Have tried reset and different USB cable all to no avail. It is charging but not being recognised. Rides are saved to micro SD card so can still take them off. Trying to force it into mass storage mode also not happening.

About a week ago had given me a funny co-ordinates type basic screen when switched on but reset seemed to solve this.

Having searched the forum and online thinking that this may be due to a problem with the mini USB port having got wet but have always tried to be meticulous about ensuring it is dry before plugging in. Maybe with the warm weather I have perspired onto it and not recognised this before plugging in which may have done the damage?

Have emailed off to Garmin support as still under warrantee and suspect it may be going back to them but all suggestions gratefully received.

Did you disconnect it correctly the last time? If not reboot the Mac and it should detect it when you connect it again.
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.
  • djp66
    djp66 Posts: 115
    I've had this a few times but logging off & on the mac ( or a reboot ) solved it.

Since then I've been careful to ensure that I un-mount both the garmin and the sd card via finder and wait for the computer icon on the Edge screen to disappear before unplugging. Since then it seems to have been behaving.

I'm wondering if it's more to do with the USB firmware/driver as it seems to be more that once the mac has failed to connect it refuses to recognise it no matter what cables I use but it still shows the unit as charging. If it was a dodgy physical connection then I wouldn't expect it to charge or be recognised/connect.
  • eddiefiola
    eddiefiola Posts: 344
    My Garmin wouldn't go into Mass storage when I was plugging it into a non powered USB socket, are you plugging directly into the computer?
  • sirmol
    sirmol Posts: 287
    I updated my software on the garmin and that solved it for me
  • iron_duke
    Thanks for all the responses

Its the same Mac I have always used it on trouble free so don't think its the computer

Yes have been ejecting before removal

Will turn mac off and back on and see if this is the issue as always keep it running and rarely turn off
  • iron_duke
    Software up to date and its a powered socket as charging.

Still not being recognised after re-starting mac so will wait for Garmin to get back to me.

Thanks for all help so far.
  • Miles253
    Miles253 Posts: 535
    I had this problem on my pc, so the fix might not be as simple. but i bought a micro sd for maps, and since thats been in the Garmin, it always pops up
    Canyon Roadlite AL-Shamal Wheels-Centaur/Veloce Group
    Canyon Ult CF SL- Spin Koppenberg-Ultegra group
  • Bar Shaker
    Bar Shaker Posts: 2,313
    I rarely eject mine from my iMac and it's never been an issue.
    Boardman Elite SLR 9.2S
    Boardman FS Pro
  • iron_duke
    Thanks for replies.

Its still charging and can download rides/uploads routes onto SD card so will wait to see what Garmin suggest.
  • StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    Bar Shaker wrote:

Clearly some owners have and have highlighted it as one possible cause of the OP's problem. You stating it hasn't effected you is hardly constructive to solving their problem.
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.
  • Bar Shaker
    Bar Shaker Posts: 2,313
    philthy3 wrote:
    Bar Shaker wrote:

Clearly some owners have and have highlighted it as one possible cause of the OP's problem. You stating it hasn't effected you is hardly constructive to solving their problem.

Oh I'm sorry, I missed the posts where people had said it had caused them, personally, a problem.

My post was to say that from my personal, actual experience, as opposed to something my friend's brother's girlfriend read on the web a long time ago... not ejecting after a sync has no detrimental effects whatsoever.

Of course your experience may differ.

I hope that helps.
    Boardman Elite SLR 9.2S
    Boardman FS Pro