Cadence sensor magnets

t4tomo
t4tomo Posts: 2,643
edited June 2014 in Road buying advice
My magnet fell off at some point on a ride - can i replace it with any cadence magnet?

for the record my cycle coputer is a GSS (also branded Timex in some markets) hence the difficulty in finding a liek for like replacement. The magnet cable ties to the crank and the sensor unit sits on the rear stay. I believe it ANT+ compatible.

Am I right to assume its teh fact that a magnet passes by the sensor unit taht is important, not which type of magnet?
Bianchi Infinito CV
Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Ultegra
Brompton S Type
Carrera Vengeance Ultimate Ltd
Gary Fisher Aquila '98
Front half of a Viking Saratoga Tandem

Comments

• dowtcha
    dowtcha Posts: 442
    Any magnet will work, the one supplied was weak with mine so I bought some strong ones from eBay. Fitted a couple stuck together by the pedal on the cranks.
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    One option is to fit a rare earth magnet (loads available on eBay) instead. They stick nicely to the pedal spindle on the inside and work great with cadence sensors. I think you want about 12mm dia (just small enough to fit in the spindle hole in the crank (measure to check) with an appropriate thickness to fit between the spindle and the cadence sensor. I bought several of a smaller thickness and stacked a couple if I needed to. Very neat solution
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • t4tomo
    t4tomo Posts: 2,643
    Genius solution, thanks chaps will get searching on ebay. Much neater than cable ties, the original used to slide on the crank occasionally anyway and thus stop working.
    Bianchi Infinito CV
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Ultegra
    Brompton S Type
    Carrera Vengeance Ultimate Ltd
    Gary Fisher Aquila '98
    Front half of a Viking Saratoga Tandem
  • timothyw
    timothyw Posts: 2,482
    This is actually how Decathlon's dirt cheap Ant+ speed & cadence sensor comes - with a little round rare earth magnet that sticks to the end of your pedal bolt.

Much neater than the cable tied one that comes with the Garmin GSC-10.
  • drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    TimothyW wrote:
    This is actually how Decathlon's dirt cheap Ant+ speed & cadence sensor comes - with a little round rare earth magnet that sticks to the end of your pedal bolt.

Much neater than the cable tied one that comes with the Garmin GSC-10.

A much better solution, unless you have a steel frame with a close crank-stay clearance in which case the magnet just gets pulled off!
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava