Shimano Ultegra or SRAM Force?

GringoElDiablo
GringoElDiablo Posts: 37
edited July 2014 in Road buying advice
Hello,
I'm riding a Specialized Tarmac with Tiagra ( :oops: ). But, I would like to buy another group. I'm hesitating between the Shimano Ultegra and the SRAM Force. Any advice would be welcome, positive and negative aspects of both.
Thx in advance! 8)

Comments

• racingcondor
    racingcondor Posts: 1,434
    Both are excellent.

SRAM can be a bit agricultural (noisy grinding front shifts when it's dirty and/or not set up properly) but when you get it set up right it shift very quickly indeed and seems to stay set up well.

Ultegra is slightly more refined but probably a little slower on the shift.

Personally I would choose based on shifter shape. A few years back when I moved from Shimano to SRAM one of the benefits for me was that the SRAM hoods were 10mm shorter front to rear so reduced reach on the bike.
  • chanjy
    chanjy Posts: 200
    Firstly, there's nothing wrong with Tiagra, does the job really well.

If you are thinking of 11 speed, then for one there's a £200 price difference between 6800 and Force 22. I wouldn't bother upgrading the latest Tiagra to another 10sp groupset (6700/old Force) it's not worth the cost.

Personally I'd just stick the new 11 speed 105 5800 on there for £350 and it should do the job brilliantly.

Plus check your wheels are compatible with 11 speed cassettes. A stock bike probably won't be so you may need to budget for new wheels.
  • chanjy wrote:
    I didn't say that but, it's weight is rather high...
    And, I'm riding Mavic Cosmic Carbone's so 11 speed won't be a problem I think
  • DiscoBoy
    DiscoBoy Posts: 905
    chanjy wrote:
    I didn't say that but, it's weight is rather high...
    And, I'm riding Mavic Cosmic Carbone's so 11 speed won't be a problem I think

If weight is your primary concern, then get SRAM.

I would go with Ultegra myself, though, double tap isn't for me.
    Red bikes are the fastest.
  • Weight isn't my primary concern but, it certainly will have it's influence in my choice. But at the moment i'm thinking, Shimano Ultegra is better than the SRAM because, it's the nearest group to Dura-Ace, whitch I suppose it's the best group available...
  • Bozman
    Bozman Posts: 2,518
    6800 Ultegra shifts a treat, personally I'd say that it's better than 7900 dura ace and not far off 9001 Dura ace and at the present price it's a bargain.
  • t4tomo
    t4tomo Posts: 2,643
    So if weight isn't your primary concern (and the weight differnces are less than 1/3 bidon of water so unless you are racing then you're right not to be concerned by weight) and we've establish 10 spd tiagra does a pretty good job, why do you want to change? If it aint broken I'd stick with it and spend your money elsewhere.

Your reasoning that Ulterga is better than force because dura-ace is the best is slightly tenuos too. Campag fans will telll you super recored knocks DA into a cocked hat and SRAM fans will tell you "red" is the best, when truth is there is very little between the 3 - its more about preference of hood shape and shifting mechanisms / action.
    Bianchi Infinito CV
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Ultegra
    Brompton S Type
    Carrera Vengeance Ultimate Ltd
    Gary Fisher Aquila '98
    Front half of a Viking Saratoga Tandem
  • passout
    passout Posts: 4,425
    Both great but FORCE for me - I like the double tap shifting plus SRAM stuff is bomb proof. I have had Rival & Ulategra in the past & prefer Rival for reasons stated. There's campag too of course.

Another option is keep what you've got and spend the money on something else - like super duper wheels. Tiagra is pretty good.
    'Happiness serves hardly any other purpose than to make unhappiness possible' Marcel Proust.
  • passout
    passout Posts: 4,425
    'Happiness serves hardly any other purpose than to make unhappiness possible' Marcel Proust.
  • themogulman
    themogulman Posts: 167
    Force.

I prefer the way it shifts. Ultegra6700 was a bit wish washy.
  • bikingjohn
    bikingjohn Posts: 202
    Both shift very quickly, smooth and efficient.

I guess it's down to the shifters' shape and ergonomic.

I find that 6800 shifters are more boxy while force are more rounded at the edge. Try both and decide upon it.
    2015 Trek Domane 4.5 Disc
    http://chup.info/c/tag/trek/
  • luv2ride
    luv2ride Posts: 2,367
    Force.

I prefer the way it shifts. Ultegra6700 was a bit wish washy.

I agree with this, at least based based on my experience of Force 10sp. Also have SRAM Apex and Rival on other bikes, probably because my first road bike had also Rival. 2nd bike had 105 and found I much preferred double tap. All personal preference though and you really need to try the various lever and hoods shapes.
    Titus Silk Road Ti rigid 29er - Scott Solace 10 disc - Kinesis Crosslight Pro6 disc - Scott CR1 SL - Pinnacle Arkose X 650b - Pinnacle Arkose singlespeed - Specialized Singlecross...& an Ernie Ball Musicman Stingray 4 string...
  • marshall_a
    marshall_a Posts: 90
    have gone from 5700 105 on one bike to 6800 Ultegra on my new one and it's very nice, front shifts especially and a noticable upgrade. I didn't really get on with double tap when I was test riding some bikes with force22, maybe with time, but personal preference I went with shimano.
  • I recommend the Ultegra 6800. It's performance is similarly good to the Force and it's price is typically about 10% less. Make sure you have a good shop qualified to install and service whichever one you are interested in near where you live/work/ride. The Force front derailleur can be a little difficult to set up right unless you have a qualified service tech doing it. As noted by the earlier comments, they do have different design characteristics (hood feel, shifting mechanism, throw distance, etc.) and you may prefer one over the other but most people can quickly get comfortable with either of them.