build up or buy complete

alexm77
alexm77 Posts: 23
edited June 2014 in Road buying advice
I'm after a road/audax type bike, and really want something steel, probably around £1000 but might be able to stretch a little further. I've looked at an equilibrium, which is very nice but I really like the idea of getting something like a Bob Jackson Audax.

What would be more cost effective, just get a frame and all the parts separately, or buy a complete bike (anything with the right components and hopefully an end of season bargain), sell the frame and rebuild with my steel frame of choice? Be nice to get a 105 groupset, but not sure how realistic this is for the budget.

Cheers.

Comments

• hypster
    hypster Posts: 1,229
    I've done both over the years and both have their pros and cons. Generally sourcing the parts individually and building up yourself will be more expensive but you usually end up with exactly the spec. you want. If you have a fixed budget though you may have to make some compromises. If you already have some existing parts that you can use then this will tend to make the initial build a bit cheaper and you can upgrade as and when you have extra cash.

If you can find a complete bike with close to the spec. you want or at least most of the components are acceptable then this will generally work out to be the easiest option and much easier to control a fixed budget. You may find though that in order to bring the bike in at a certain price point there may be some budget components on the bike, usually the wheels. If you plan on upgrading these any time soon then you need to factor that cost into your calculations obviously.

I find creating a spreadsheet with every part listed and then sourcing them on the web is a good way to get an idea of what a self-build is likely to cost, That way you can substitute various parts to see what effect they might have on the overall build cost.

Personally I prefer the self-build option and don't usually have a rigid budget. I estimate the cost for the major items - frame, groupset and wheels that I really want and then handle the ancillary items as is.
  • arlowood
    arlowood Posts: 2,561
    Agree with hypster that the self build route will usually end up more expensive for a given specification than buying "off the peg" especially if you source all the components new. You don't have the purchasing power of the major manufacturers so will always struggle to achieve parity for a given spec.

However my philosophy is to monitor the classified "Road Parts" section on this forum and also keep a close watch on the sales, special offers and discount codes from the major (and minor) on-line retailers. That way you can usually source the more expensive components (shifters, chainsets, wheels) at a good discount compared to normal retail price.

As said above, your main problem with working to a fixed budget is that inevitably there will have to be compromises. My advice would be to find the best quality frame you can afford, be it new or 2nd hand, and then go from there. You could probably get a 2nd hand 105 5700 groupset for around £150 if you shop around. Don't forget that the new 11-speed 105 is due out soon so there may be a rash of 2nd hand offers on the 5700 as people upgrade.

My final comment is that the satisfaction of building up your own bike to a chosen spec can outweigh some of the cost constraints. This means that you will probably push your budget to fit your needs. After all, you want to enjoy riding the fruits of your labours rather than languishing in the "if only" doldrums.
  • alexm77
    I know it will be a compromise on my budget, so really want something to get me started now, then improve bits as they wear out. I do want to start with a frame I love and not feel I've compromised on that. I want to avoid the second hand route as it starts getting risky buying bits that are more worn out than expected and too many people bidding close to new sale price for 2nd hand bits.

Guess I'll start doing some sums...
  • ba68
    ba68 Posts: 156
    It doesn't have to be more expensive if you are patient and buy the components etc. from the usual names when they have promos on such as Ribble, Merlin etc. plus you end up with the components you want and don't end up replacing them later and then having a pile of parts. I did this last summer to build up a Ribble Winter trainer, probably saved less than £100 over one of their bike builder specials but didn't have to compromise on saddle, bars etc. which tend to be quite a personal choice.
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    Build up from a frame. Wheels and tyres are often the comprimise on "factory" bikes. Those are items I personally would not comprimise on. Saddles on supplied bikes are often cheap as the seller knows it is coming off and being replaced in time so what is the point is reducing profits and increasing cost by putting an expensive one on.

I see a bike as far more than the sum of its parts - a "factory" bike can easily end up less than the sum of its parts. Buy once buy right and take your time over it.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • top_bhoy
    top_bhoy Posts: 1,424
    Build up from a frame. Wheels and tyres are often the comprimise on "factory" bikes. Those are items I personally would not comprimise on. Saddles on supplied bikes are often cheap as the seller knows it is coming off and being replaced in time so what is the point is reducing profits and increasing cost by putting an expensive one on.

I see a bike as far more than the sum of its parts - a "factory" bike can easily end up less than the sum of its parts. Buy once buy right and take your time over it.
    I agree. A complete bike will often need the saddle and stem length changed to suit the rider; often wheels, tubes and tyres are the cheapest a manufacturer thinks they can get away with and aren't really suitable as anything more than short-term. Replacing these items no longer makes a complete bike the 'cheaper' option and in fact, will often turn out to be more expensive. Even the more acceptable other parts will be compromises.

I couldn't find a suitable commuting frame in my size hence I've had a recent experience where I reluctantly went ahead with the purchase of a complete bike. I expected some cheaper components to be used, I didn't expect the wheelset to have been so problematic so soon. Alas it has turned out to be a bad purchase and after only 10 weeks commuting, I have been out considerable money to rectify issues directly related to the use of cheap components. Never again, its a build-up for me now everytime..

If you're building a bike up (or even replacing/upgrading), think 6 months ahead and collect the parts during online sales. It can make significant difference in final costs.
  • alexm77
    Thanks for the advice everyone. Sounds like a self build won't be so much extra if I'm careful. I enjoy researching then sourcing all the bits anyway and I probably won't notice that extra couple of hundred quid I inevitably spend if I'm buying it over several months :wink: