The Cycle Show

simonhead
simonhead Posts: 1,399
edited June 2014 in The cake stop
Apparently returns on the 8th of July. Would be great if they were a bit less generalist and focused on one discipline at a time. Any thoughts?
Life isnt like a box of chocolates, its like a bag of pic n mix.

Comments

• steerpike
    steerpike Posts: 424
    no, not really.
  • Alain Quay
    Alain Quay Posts: 534
    steerpike wrote:
    no, not really.

You should be on a chat show on telly
  • arran77
    arran77 Posts: 9,260
    Yes, they should do more on naked women's downhill :mrgreen:
    "Arran, you are like the Tony Benn of smut. You have never diluted your depravity and always stand by your beliefs. You have my respect sir and your wife my pity" :lol:

seanoconn
  • metronome
    metronome Posts: 670
    8th of July, thanks. I'll make sure I'm out.
    tick - tick - tick
  • random man
    random man Posts: 1,518
    Maybe they could do a feature on the Tour starting in Yorkshire? :wink:
  • tangled_metal
    tangled_metal Posts: 4,021
    Spotted it once while channel hopping. 5 minutes later I'd turned over. Thought it looked a little amateur which does cycling an injustice IMHO. Unfair? Perhaps as any cycling on channels everyone can get is rare indeed and usually consists of TdF at odd hours or the city bike races. Nothing for people interested in other things. Never seen cylcocross on TV and rarely seen mtb racing. Not much on leisure riding or commuting. If this show has any of this on it then perhaps it's redeemable afterall.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    metronome wrote:

I might tape them on series repeat so I can enjoy deleting them (unwatched) in quick succession :lol:
  • secretsam
    secretsam Posts: 5,098
    arran77 wrote:

Now you're talking

I hope they don't do that flippin' 'race' thing at the end with static fixies. Guys, that was lame in the first series, now it's just...really lame.

They should do a lap of somewhere on a boris bike or something :lol:

It's just a hill. Get over it.
  • TBF fair, I remember a time not so long ago there were no cycling programs on tv....
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • Would it surprise you that none of the production crew actually have any cycling experience ?
  • rickeverett
    rickeverett Posts: 988
    ITV4 - Does that exist ?
  • r3hxn
    r3hxn Posts: 127
    Carbonator wrote:
    metronome wrote:

I might tape them on series repeat so I can enjoy deleting them (unwatched) in quick succession :lol:

you still do VHS? :P

Cannondale Cx2 Hybrid
    Scott Scale - Custom mtb - Work in progress
  • markhewitt1978
    markhewitt1978 Posts: 7,614
    Amazed they got a second series - even more amazed they've got a third! The show isn't actually do bad considering it's very obvious they've got a budget of £1.23 per episode. It would be nice to see what they could do if they were given a proper budget and put onto ITV1, which would no doubt require dumbing down I suppose!

I would like to see them do a few more feature bits; of course talk about racing and interview people etc, but cycling safety is a big issue as is cycling infrastructure so I would like them to do a bit of a closer examination of everything involved in real life cycling outside racing.

Seems to have come around quickly as the last series I only finished watching about 6 weeks ago!
  • mm1
    mm1 Posts: 1,063
    I think its ok, will get slicker over time as long as it keeps being recommissioned. The funniest thing about it is the attempt to ape top gear with a visible studio audience, when what you get is a room full of Norman Wisdom lookalies in Look Mum No Hands.
  • morstar
    morstar Posts: 6,190
    Try bearing in mind how bad itv4 coverage was of the TdF when they first started. Now it's a really well made programme. Without big funding it can only grow organically which takes time.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,298
    arran77 wrote:
    Maybe they will show the "She Does it Right" video, I liked that one.
  • Some of the comments on here 're the cycle show, just goes to show how snobbish some of us cyclists can be. As has been said while ago nothing on tv 're cycling, and it's not all bout doing the Fred in 7hours 30mins.
  • metronome
    metronome Posts: 670
    Some of the comments on here 're the cycle show, just goes to show how snobbish some of us cyclists can be. As has been said while ago nothing on tv 're cycling, and it's not all bout doing the Fred in 7hours 30mins.

Hmmn, It has nothing to do with being a snob.

GCN, for example is pretty decent. They cover a wide range of topics and cater to all levels of cyclist. The difference is they know where they're coming from and who they're talking to.

The cycle show is like the One Show, but cycling...
    tick - tick - tick
  • airbag
    airbag Posts: 201
    Two things (which I've said before, hey, I'm grouchy about it):

write a better theme tune. Anything, the one they used screams "awful".

Chuck the whole studio setup - make it a documentary format with just one big piece per show. Think TG specials. E.g. one episode on someone's first road race. One episode on amsterdam. One or two episodes on technology. Etc.
  • Has anyone checked out inCycle... that looks pretty decent
  • crescent
    crescent Posts: 1,201
    Amazed they got a second series - even more amazed they've got a third! !

I was amazed that I was looking forward to the second series after watching the first. My first reaction on finding out that a third series is coming up was "Oh good", will I never learn?
    There was a fair bit of discussion on this previously and most of it aimed at the "amateurish" production of the show. Hopefully, it will have evolved a bit and improved. It's harmless viewing and there's usually something of interest in it. Hopefully, Ned Boulting will be more of a presence as his articles were always entertaining.
    As for ITV4, I think it is the best of the ITV channels. They at least try to cover some of the less mainstream sports (can cycling still be considered less mainstream?) and do a good job of it I think. As someone who used to loathe Gary Imlach's smarmy presentation style I now find I have warmed to him and think his on screen relationship with Chris Boardman is excellent and works very well.
    Can't wait for the TdF to start and looking forward to hearing the musette heavy theme tune again for the next few weeks. When I was a kid the Wimbledon theme music used to always make me happy because it meant summer was well and truly here, the TdF theme has now filled this role.
    Bianchi ImpulsoBMC Teammachine SLR02 01Trek Domane AL3“When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race. “ ~H.G. Wells Edit - "Unless it's a BMX"
  • thegreatdivide
    thegreatdivide Posts: 5,803
    GCN have got it nailed as far as I'm concerned and InCycling is pretty good too. No need for a cycling version of Fifth Gear on a minor channel.