How do 27.5"s feel?

1235»

Comments

• Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    Ah supersonic, it's just a pity you didn't think about that before you wrote it

(that's going to be my response to everything from now on- makes it look like you're able to argue with someone, even when you have nothing at all to say other than DURRRRR)
    Uncompromising extremist
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    I'd say bar width has more of an influence!
  • Angus Young
    Angus Young Posts: 3,063
    supersonic wrote:

Or the competence or otherwise of the trail designer/builder.
    All the gear, no idea and loving the smell of jealousy in the morning.
    Kona Process 134 viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12994607
  • Northwind
    supersonic wrote:

We've changed features at glentress because of bar inflation :lol: The section called 29 Inches had to yield to progress.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • Thewaylander
    Thewaylander Posts: 8,594
    Northwind wrote:
    supersonic wrote:

We've changed features at glentress because of bar inflation :lol: The section called 29 Inches had to yield to progress.

That due to the length of my obvious?
  • Northwind
    Nah, the width of yer maw.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • Corners R Us
    Corners R Us Posts: 214
    Herewith my 2penneth.

I have a 2009 Marin Mount Vision running 26". Been tweaked and honed to my liking since purchased 2nd hand.

Got chance to buy a 2014 Saracen Kili Flyer 12X via my LBS at a price I couldn't ignore. 650b wheels, carbon swing arm, X-Fusion Velvets, KS Stealth dropper 2x10 etc etc and all current trend so to speak.

Initial impressions. Bit harder to lift the front wheel due to slightly more weight. Not quite as playful as my 26". Picks up speed quicker than my 26"? I can climb out of the saddle with no rear wheel slip; larger contact patch?

Now I've had the 650b for a few months I feel I'm faster on it, feel a bit more confident when jumping it and its a smidge more comfortable on a long ride.

That said would I have bought a 650b if I'd not got a cracking deal, possibly not!

Do I still ride my 26"; of course. Its nice to compare them back to back and I tend to use the older bike when its muddier and save my newer bike for drier trails...if I can!! That said my 650b's no show pony and I will get it muddy if I have to!! I'm also coaxing my son out on the 26" bike and hoping he'll get the bug.

One downside; I am slowly building up my stock of 650b tubes and tyres!

All in all I feel lucky to be able to have one of each on the wall.....

HTH. Corners

PS. I wouldn't buy a 29" as I look stoopid on one being only 5ft 8 and I feel the smaller framed bikes look wrong aesthetically.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Is it a fair comparison between a five year old bike and a new bike? Is the new one faster and better because it's got 650b wheels or because it's a modern design and your other bike is five years old and wasn't even a new design then.
    Im not saying it isn't better because of the bigger wheels but how much of the improvement are they responsible for?
    The difficulty in lifting the front compared to your old bike is probably down to geometry (chain stay length) rather than a heavier wheel.
  • Angus Young
    Angus Young Posts: 3,063
    Is it a fair comparison between a five year old bike and a new bike? Is the new one faster and better because it's got 650b wheels or because it's a modern design and your other bike is five years old and wasn't even a new design then.
    Im not saying it isn't better because of the bigger wheels but how much of the improvement are they responsible for?
    The difficulty in lifting the front compared to your old bike is probably down to geometry (chain stay length) rather than a heavier wheel.

Perhaps the new one is red.
    All the gear, no idea and loving the smell of jealousy in the morning.
    Kona Process 134 viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12994607
  • Corners R Us
    edited July 2014

Fair comment but my 2009 has 12-month old X-Fusion Velvets (the Kili's are brand new), new wheels, BB, headset, pedals, a KS dropper (manual lever), new chain, cassette, bars, stem, grips...in fact the only original bits are the frame and shock which is about to be treated to a service.

Fair comment the geometrys different and has evolved since 2009. I've not measured them up as I'm too busy fiddling and riding but will for the purposes of this posting. They are both 17" but the Kili is a bit more relaxed, the MV a bit more upright but I have them set up so the reach seat to bars is the same and they feel largely the same to sit on.

I'd described the Kili as more planted, the MV more playful and a bit more edgy (probably cos of its more upright/XC geometry perhaps?)

Purely my observations from owing and riding both back....and I hear what you're saying.

I'd suggest riding a 26" and a 650b back to back to compare but as you suggest make sure its a level comparison....

Corners
  • Corners R Us

We all know black is faster! The MV is shiny silver, the Kili is matt grey and carbon...the fastest of the dark colours!!
  • declan1
    declan1 Posts: 2,470

We all know black is faster! The MV is shiny silver, the Kili is matt grey and carbon...the fastest of the dark colours!!

Nope, red is definitely faster.

Road - Dolan Preffisio
    MTB - On-One Inbred

I have no idea what's going on here.
  • Corners R Us
    declan1 wrote:

Nope, red is definitely faster.

All is not lost, the MV has various bits of red detailing and anodising; tick. The Kili has red Hope Evo2 hubs and red nipples on the wheels; tick :D
  • Corners R Us
    IMG_2680_zpsa7c84617.jpg

IMG_2820_zps81d1cef6.jpg
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    There are some major geometry differences between the 2009 mount vision and the Saracen.
  • Thewaylander
    Thewaylander Posts: 8,594
    Yup but i have 2 very similar bikes geometry wise, from the same company :) and i can say these things so ner :P
  • chrisw333
    chrisw333 Posts: 695
    I think I'm going to invent 28ers. That should show more of a difference from 26" and not be as cumbersome as a 29er.

I suspect I'll be a millionaire this time next year.