Suarez Ban…joke or not??

vinnymarsden
vinnymarsden Posts: 560
edited June 2014 in The cake stop
So FIFA have wielded the mighty sword….4 months ban ..making a Premier ban of 9 games in total….correct me, but did he not get a 10game ban last time??
The world of football has truly gone mad…here is a clearly talented player, but equally as clearly is that he is mentally ill, and FIFA's punishment does not even replicate the same as for the last exact offence!!
I think even the judges in the UK start to realise a pattern and sentence more harshly for each identical offence.
Once again the "sport" that has become the sham of the sporting world is found wanting…there was talk of 2yrs only a day or so ago, but NO, the owners/chairmen of clubs/world bodies make up their own rules.
Contrast this with the bloodletting that has been cycle racing for the last 3years, the UCI appear to be making a REAL effort to clean up the sport, it's a pity that other sports are not held so publicly accountable, who believes that all the destroyed blood in the Spanish doping case was ONLY that of cyclists…yeh…right..Spanish footy/Tennis was rightly implicated in my opinion, but this sham of a punishment only goes to show that some sporting bodies are beyond any sort of code..be it moral or legal.
It will be VERY interesting to see the Premiership's reaction, and also that of Liverpool.
It's like owning a dog that repeatedly keeps biting people, and carrying on trying to train it…eventually common sense MUST prevail…if he is to play footy again, then please please the FA/Premiership, and owners of Liverpool, make a moral stand and let him go play somewhere else, we, the UK do not need him as ANY sort of role model for our young footballers/sports players of the future.

Comments

• drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    Should have been a ban for 2 years and thrown the book at him. We don't need "sportsman" who are paid ridiculous amounts of money behaving like this, its totally unacceptable and an example should be made of his behaviour.

He's a flippin idiot.
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • arran77
    arran77 Posts: 9,260
    The funniest discussion I heard on this was on the radio this morning when they interviewed children at a Liverpool primary school, one of them said that they used to look up to him as they supported Liverpool but because of this they were going to support Everton now......bet that went down well with the child's dad :lol:
    "Arran, you are like the Tony Benn of smut. You have never diluted your depravity and always stand by your beliefs. You have my respect sir and your wife my pity" :lol:

seanoconn
  • homers_double
    homers_double Posts: 8,028
    Is he banned from WC matches from now on?

edit...yes.
    Advocate of disc brakes.
  • drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    Is he banned from WC matches from now on?

Yes, can't even enter the stadium when Uruguay are playing
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • Omar Little
    Omar Little Posts: 2,010
    His "crime" didnt happen in the Premiership, so getting a ban in an unrelated competition is pretty unprecedented for a something that isnt doping.

In any case the ban is not like for like with his previous one - it is 4 Month ban from all football which will be more than 9 premiership games plus he has an international ban on top of that that will extend beyond the 4 months. So he has been punished more than last time.
  • alihisgreat
    alihisgreat Posts: 3,872
    I presume the 4 month ban from all footballing activity prevents him from training with his club too?

Then you can add up the 9 match international ban, and the 9 premier league games that he would miss, + presumably some cup and champions league games?

So it is unfair to say that it is less severe than last time, but I suppose you can still argue that its not harsh enough.
  • arran77
    arran77 Posts: 9,260
    His "crime" didnt happen in the Premiership, so getting a ban in an unrelated competition is pretty unprecedented for a something that isnt doping.

In any case the ban is not like for like with his previous one - it is 4 Month ban from all football which will be more than 9 premiership games plus he has an international ban on top of that that will extend beyond the 4 months. So he has been punished more than last time.

And so he should be, he clearly can't get it into his thick head that this sort of behavior is not acceptable, he's no sort of role model to youngsters in this country so the sooner Liverpool are shot of him the better.
    "Arran, you are like the Tony Benn of smut. You have never diluted your depravity and always stand by your beliefs. You have my respect sir and your wife my pity" :lol:

seanoconn
  • orangepip
    orangepip Posts: 219
    I'm amused by the fact that he is banned from all football activity but is allowed to pursue a transfer.

I'm less amused by the fact that if isn't sold, his first premier league game is likely to be against Newcastle.
  • debeli
    debeli Posts: 583
    I think it's quite long for the nature of the offence.

I haven't been bitten in spite since playground disputes at kindergarten, but it is a pretty lame and immature tactic in a squabble. Suarez drew no blood, broke no skin, broke no bones, didn't threaten the other player's health or career and really just made himself look silly , spiteful and immature.

I've seen much worse on pitches in league, non-league and schoolboy football. Biting seems pretty tame to me.

Football is certainly much safer as a sport than it was in my youth. Fewer old pros will be walking with sticks in their fifties after suffering damage to the leg joints in horrid tackles. It does still happen, but less frequently.

I think a little public ridicule might do Suarez some good. He is undoubtedly a player of great skill and vision, but he seems to have the emotional make-up of a toddler at times.

I feel slightly for LFC, who stood by him in the racism row and the last bite-gate and are now without their talisman for the opening of the season. If they don't sell him.
  • Daz555
    Daz555 Posts: 3,976
    Delighted he has got a ban - should have been more though.

Not happy about the FIFA consistency however - a couple of nasty elbows to the face in last few games. Nowt has been said or done about it. :?
    You only need two tools: WD40 and Duck Tape.
    If it doesn't move and should, use the WD40.
    If it shouldn't move and does, use the tape.
  • meagain
    meagain Posts: 2,331
    What's a little nibble in the context of a "sport" that makes billions out of the deaths of '000s?

"Workers are dying over there, more than 200 from Nepal alone in 2013, with more than 4,000 migrant workers projected to die in Qatar by the time the football cathedrals and palaces are in place."

And allegedly individuals make a few quid DIRECTLY out of those deaths.

Suarez's crime is simply silly, the act of an immature man who happens to be good at something pointless.
    d.j.
    "Cancel my subscription to the resurrection."
  • RideOnTime
    RideOnTime Posts: 4,712
    drlodge wrote:
    Should have been a ban for 2 years and thrown the book at him. We don't need "sportsman" who are paid ridiculous amounts of money behaving like this, its totally unacceptable and an example should be made of his behaviour.

He's a flippin idiot.

Yes... indignation... we should sink are teeth into him :shock:
  • Flâneur
    Flâneur Posts: 3,081
    Not sure what would have been fair? For a ban I'd like to see the best part of 2 years international so he misses a meaningful tournament. Yes it could be of benefit to a club but that isn't what I would be aiming at. Not actually sure what Fifa can do with regards to playing for the club, but I would like to see LFC help with professional help.
    However FIFA would have followed some logical reasoning for the term they gave (not saying it is logical or right)

Club wise, perhaps half a season? I'm no law expert but for biting someone a 3rd time I'll say a 6 month sentence? so half the season? There are players in various leagues who do enough cynical and dangerous fouls in a season to be of greater danger, we just see a bite as a lot worse. Perhaps it is but it is probably of lesser danger but the media will ensure we don't see that.

What would have happened if he had been red carded, just 3 matches?

FIFA is in an odd place with this one, they normally refuse to be involved in domestic affairs and have now become involved. EUFA banned Xavier for 6 months (reduced from 9) for lashing out at a ref at Euro 2000 but not from club football. The lawyers will enjoy the fees from the appeal etc

He is an odd one and probably needs to see a clinical pysc rather than Peters (sport shrink at LFC). It is a proper brain doesn't function due to adrenalin or something so he goes primal.

I can't think of many footballers who are role models Arran. The only relief is most don't see biting as something to follow, now if only they could do the same with swearing at referees or sliding in with 2 feet studs up.

Vinny since when was football moral? It is a business and a sport which means money and winning

Alihisgreat - think he is allowed into Melwood to train, no idea what the team think of him though and do they want to play with him?

As an LFC fan would I sell him? No, most valuable asset in the team, can win games from nothing and football is about winning at the end of the day. Since he came back after his last ban, he had a pretty good season behavior wise, He dived here or niggled there however that is part of the sport these days whether we want it or not. Hence why i think the shrink to see what the trigger is probably more important.
    Stevo 666 wrote: Come on you Scousers! 20/12/2014
    Crudder
    CX
    Toy
  • vinnymarsden
    vinnymarsden Posts: 560
    As the OP I stand by my sentiment that the FA/Premiership and Liverpool ought to make sure he IS NOT playing in English football next season..the man is a liability, plain and simple, I wish someone like Gerrard or Sturridge would comment and call him a nobhead!! That would be quality, and in all fairness they wouldn't be wrong would they!!!
  • I would consider the ban implemented by FIFA as a middle ground. However the four month ban on all football activity impacts on Liverpools' (or other) league and champs league campaigns, this I find concerning. The reason being is that now a club is being penalised for an action a player makes whilst on international duty. This could have repercussions in the availability of players for friendlies and some international matches. Harry Redknapp has already stated earlier in the week that a couple of players dipped out of international duty whilst he was manager at Spurs, this decision will exacerbate the problem.
  • Although in this case there does not appear to have been puncturing of the skin or drawing of blood, a human bite can potentially be an unpleasant/dangerous form of assault. There is a potential for infection, which can actually be worse than for instance from a dog bite, and there is also the risk of transmission of HIV/hepatitis etc.
    As well as a ban I think he should have been ordered to undergo a psychiatric analysis, psychotherapy etc, just as if he had been charged with drug/alcohol abuse he would have probably been ordered to undergo alcohol/drug rehabilitation.
  • joelsim
    joelsim Posts: 7,552
    The ban was about right, although I would also have included a suspended ban should he not get help and do it again of a 2 year ban.

If someone has done that in the street they would be up for GBH. Let alone the bad example it sets.
  • GGBiker
    GGBiker Posts: 450
    So the OP thinks Suarez is "mentally ill" and thinks that this illness deserves harsh punishment?
  • tangled_metal
    tangled_metal Posts: 4,021
    A lot happens on a pitch that is subject to criminal proceedings if caught on the streets. Head butt someone in a pub and it's an assault. On a pitch it's a red card and 1 game ban. Should it be criminal proceedings like the guy who head butts a guy in the pub?
    Then there is often an arrogance about the sport and people involved. A player gets in trouble outside training and playing it is likely the club will pitch in with a good pr offensive and legal support. Got to protect their precious stars. Good business, right?
    You've got players who get fouled, roll around a bit trying to get the guy carded. Then gets straight up, running around without problem. The minute before it was like he'd broken his leg. Or the player fouls an opponent who was clear and on for goal. The commentator states it was a good foul, totally justified!
    Let alone FIFA investigating it's own corruption...AGAIN!

There is a malaise in football that is at least as bad as the doping in cycling that came to a head a few years back. Football needs a complete clear out. Two year bans for acts of violence, independent judge/former police detective/fraud detective led investigation of fifa. Increased use of technology in the game including video ref. These are just some ideas, I have no idea if they're possible or would help. I just think football needs sorting out. Off topic, sorry about that, but Suarez should have been sent for enforced counselling after his second bite. He needs help not protection. Liverpool instinctively defended him during the racist incident when he needed help/support not defending. The Uruguayan media and football association did the same. Not helping him or solving the problem. Stop protecting players mis- deeds start changing them/preventing them through stricter rules or punishment or help when needed.
    BTW I'm more of a rugby fan so not fussed what happens to football. The joke goes that football is 90 minutes pretending you've been hurt when you're not (photo of footballer rolling on the floor in fake it agony with an eye on ref to see if a card is on). Whilst rugby is 80 minutes of pretending your not hurting when you are (photo of big forward with a bandage and blood dripping down his head whilst he's carrying on).
  • bdu98252
    bdu98252 Posts: 171
    Suarez has bitten three time now. I bet the odds are short on him biting again. It is likely to be a vicious cycle with him now as all his opponents and opponents fans know exactly how to wind him up. I can't even imagine how many cannibalism jokes will be waiting for him on his return from the stands. There was even some good jokes on Question time last night. It is the stuff of tabloid gold.
  • r3hxn
    r3hxn Posts: 127
    Liverpool have received a substantial Bid for Suarez from Borrusia MunchonCentreback.

In related news, Chiellani was said to have had a chip on his shoulder.

sorry....had to share :D

Cannondale Cx2 Hybrid
    Scott Scale - Custom mtb - Work in progress
  • thomthom
    thomthom Posts: 3,574
    I thought it was quite a harsh penalty - especially on Liverpool. Apparently they can't even appeal, only Suarez and Uruguay can, despite being more than affected and involved now. It was a disgraceful act by him but where was this talk when Pepe did his headbutt? People are talking about this being the 3rd time Suarez has bitten and therefore he should get thrown out for good or at least for the max that is 2 years. Pepe has done these violent acts like what.. 8,9,10 times? Got away with one ban match after the match against Germany. Fair enough, but he has done it several times - should that not be taken into consideration like with Suarez?

How about players that spit? I have that offense in the exact same category as biting (after all, Suarez's bites are never going to injure the 'victims' are they?). Both offenses are pathethic and disgraceful but not as dangerous as elbowing your opponent in the face deliberately several times as the French did against Ecuador.

I guess it's difficult to compare incidents and come up with a penalty that everyone can agree on but I can't help thinking FIFA was too affected by the overhyped outrage in the media - and especially the social ones..

Even Chiellini has said it's harsh.
  • nathancom
    nathancom Posts: 1,567
    It is very harsh but Suarez leaves himself open to it by bloody biting people all the time. I am fairly sure Liverpool will sell this summer and might lose £10 million because of this bite, so yes Liverpool are the main loser as Suarez will no doubt play well at Barca and it will be forgotten about.

I do think the UK media is central to whipping up these frenzies against Suarez in a way they never do for homegrown players. But then we all know that homegrown players never do anything wrong ;)
  • Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    I work with folks with learning difficulties and one of the challenging behaviours that they often exhibit is biting. I have seen examples where large chunks of flesh, ears, noses etc have been torn off. It seems to me that mr suarez seems to revert to a mental age of about three. I am convinced he needs help..
  • verylonglegs
    verylonglegs Posts: 3,954
    I wonder if FIFA have punished him with the tournament from four years ago in mind when he prevented a goal with his hands that ulitmately saw them progress past Ghana, he then celebrated wildly with his team mates afterwards despite being sent off. I think FIFA were a little embarassed that on that occasion cheating was seen to be very prosperous so maybe they've taken this opportunity to get back at him for it.
  • Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    Anyway, he said he didnt do it. Just happened to fall on an opponent with his teeth out at the time... Dont you believe him then? All of uraguay do...
  • r3hxn
    r3hxn Posts: 127
    Our Media can be just as bad with home grown players, Beckham's world cup incident, John Terry for his indiscretions. If they give Suarez stick its because despite having such immense talent, he is a cheat. Dives like a swan, bites like a Rottweiler and instead of turning around at the end of the game and say "Hey, I made a mistake and have apologized to Chiellani" He came out with a ridiculous statement, backed by a dozen Uruguayan officials - I think that made it even worse.

I can't speak for Pepes headbuts, as I havn't seen them - but 90% of the headbutts I see, that get punished as headbutts - I wouldn't call a headbutt. Usually its 2 players facing up, head to head like they wana kiss and one decides to play act like he's been shot. Very rarely, do you see actual headbutts that I would classify as causing pain to an opponent, or be unprovoked, (but I await to be corrected). Maybe Zidanes headbut you could put in the same bracket as this biting. And if He did it again only a year later, I am sure the punishment would be just as heavy.

As it stands, Suarez got of lightly - There's a 2 month domestic break anyway and he will be back in action before the end of October.

Cannondale Cx2 Hybrid
    Scott Scale - Custom mtb - Work in progress
  • ballysmate
    ballysmate Posts: 15,921
    The player that really grips my shite is Robben.
    Talented player, no doubt about that, but a serial cheater. Throws himself to the ground again and again. Oh for a Claudio Gentile to give him a right kicking.
    Ex pros and especially Hoddle supporting players 'going down' at the slightest touch.
    Pathetic!!

Edit: Just seen this. What a wanchor!!

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/worldc ... inals.html
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,805
    Here is one ex-player giving his take on the self righteous indignation.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CFObWTD9Gv4

It is worth watching purely for the sight of Adrian Chiles going aghast.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • ballysmate
    ballysmate Posts: 15,921
    Well said Gordon!